SB5100 cablemodem + Extreme?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

SB5100 cablemodem + Extreme?

Subscribed to Rogers "95GB Extreme" (sez so on my bill) and when I made the from dial-up years ago, the tech installed a Motorola SB5100 cablemodem.

I am seeing consistently low download rates (like <10Mbps), any time of the day, any day of the week and upload speeds are ludicrously slow at 1Mbps.

I've used a few online resources (such as the one at CNET or Ookla's) to test this and they all return about the same download value.

I've read lately that the SB5100 may not be the best modem for this setup and that this is why I may be seeing consistently low rates. Can I walk into a Rogers store and swap this with something newer or better suited the rates I should be getting?

I don't know if it matters but the HD on the TV is fine so I don't suspect cable or connection issues.

Advice please. I'm going to be pretty angry if I've been paying for Extreme speeds but only getting Express or Lite speeds...

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: SB5100 cablemodem + Extreme?

Yes, if you have been subscribed to Extreme and judging by your comment, you have had this for awhile, with an older D2 modem, you have been getting ripped off by Rogers. They will not give you the newer Extreme speeds without upgrading to a D3 modem. 

Keep in mind though that when you swap to a newer D3 modem, they have major issues with wifi. If you are currently using a router with your 5100, keep it. You will need it as the newer modems have lousy wifi and need to be bridged in order to hook up your own router. 

Unfortunately, Rogers did not you tell you about the need to upgrade as they are quite happy to keep taking your money every month and charging you full price for a service you are not receiving. Many customers are just finding this out!

I'm Here A Lot

I can't even recall how long it's been. I want to say we've had this modem since ~2003 or 2004.

I certainly don't recall getting any notifications from Rogers about this. I had no real reason to suspect anything was amiss other than my download speeds were/are slower than perhaps they should have been. But I was really shocked that a friend was reporting numbers twice what I was achieving.

I use a nice Netgear router for my wireless so I'm all set there.

I'll definitely be going to the Rogers store (tomorrow?) to see what my options are re a new modem and credit or refund for their installation not delivering "as advertised." Smiley Tongue (yeah, right...)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To get the current listed prices.. Kiwi7 is correct, you need to get one of the newer modems.

While it is posted that it is necessary, its not verry clear, and as kiwi7 said, not really advertised.

THOUGH.. if you are getting sub 10mbps speeds, there may be other issues going on.
Even if your TV, etc is ok.. there still could be a signal issue, etc causing it (as the TV, net, etc run on different frequencies.. and the issue could only be effecting one range).

You could make an apointment for them to come out with the new modem, etc.. and then do signal checking etc all at the same time.
But as kiwi7 sugested, keep your existing wireless router, as its likely much better still than the wireless on the units they provide.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately you likely wont get a refund, etc. 
You can TRY and talk to retentions... but unfortunately when the new prices are/were listed.. while not UPFRONT on it..  it does say in the fine print, that for those speeds, etc.. that you need to have a D3 modem (which you dont).

I'm Here A Lot

Update:

My modem was indeed incapable of speeds > 10Mbps. I went to my local Rogers store and traded it for a newer DOCSIS3 unit and my speeds immediately increased.

I inquired with Rogers as to what was going on re the package to which I'm subscribed and the modem I had. Long story short: my "Extreme" package was an old, grandfathered package that is no longer offered. It was rated at 95GB and 10Mbps. Turns out that their "Extreme" package is now 120GB and up to 35Mbps. What confused me is that the names are basically the same so when I looked up the "Extreme" package I saw the new rates, not the old, long gone stuff.

Oddly, the new package is the same price as the old so I simply upgraded to that. All is well now.

Thanks for the help.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Blackfin wrote:

Update:

My modem was indeed incapable of speeds > 10Mbps. I went to my local Rogers store and traded it for a newer DOCSIS3 unit and my speeds immediately increased.

It is not that your older modem was incapable of higher speeds (though I am sure this is what the reps are instructed to tell you), It is that Rogers refuses to give you the higher speeds with the D2 modems. The spec sheet for a SB5100 modem for example shows up to 38 Mbps download and 30 Mbps upload.

http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/manuals/SB5100%20DataSheet.pdf

Rogers has deemed that in order to get the higher speeds and usage allowances on the newer packages, you must convert to a D3 modem at a higher price. 

They also will not inform you of the many issues with the D3 modems, including constant reboots, frequent wifi disconnects and poor wifi range. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only really the cgn3 has reboot issues.

All of them have poor wifi, but a bridged Cisco or smc, are perfectly stable.
I have a non bridged smc, wifi off with an AP, and have had to reboot it once in over a year.