S6 Battery Drain

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paf
I've Been Here Awhile

S6 Battery Drain

Hey, I recently signed a 2 year contract once again with rogers and received a s6 64GB gold version. After using it a few days, I realized how HORRIBLE the battery life is comparing to my OnePlus One. I leave WiFi on and lose ~20% overenight!!! This NEVER OCCURS with the OnePlus One. I don't know how many people are having this issue but this is driving me nuts!

Anyways, this is my rant about the phone. Great phone.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: S6 Battery Drain

@Paf What other functions do you have running? (Bluetooth, NFC, Active Wallpapers, GPS)

An investigative option would be to check the Battery app and confirm what is using the most juice.

RogersDarrell

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

^ What @RogersDarrell said,
The battery section under settings will tell you what the highest battery consumption is.

It is a great phone I agree, with great phones comes great options 😉
Battery Settings will show you what uses the most battery and goes down the list in a chronological order...
The highest usage for normal users should be Screen.
As nothing should be running with great amount of power when screen is off (no active app should be running the processor that much).
If you are not an average user, then the app that is taking a lot of battery would be something you set yourself.
By default all built in apps don't run full power during screen off. (I forget the term for this).
3rd Party Apps (through Play Store), would be something you have downloaded and it's function may run in the background (like downloading something... music? movies? or something)... 20% is huge.

So let's start with Battery Settings Section to investigate further.

The final step would be the hard reset (full factory reset)... but no point jumpingto that step, as it could be a simple fix.

Worst case scenario, (Last resort) you may have lemon and battery is faulty but all testing must be done before assumpting that.
Paf
I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersDarrell@ShakTiburon I found out the real culprit. After installing Gsam, I was able to see the usage in detail. Turning on Wi-Fi in general caused the battery drain. This is a huge compromise to me since I have a 1GB data limit. I don't think I have any other solution to fix this besides having WiFi shut off entirely.

That being said, I usually have Location turned on and brightness on auto. Everything else is on default in settings. I don't see how this should affect the battery in any significant way.

EDIT: Lost 0% when WiFi is turned off overnight....

RogersDarrell
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Paf Excellent.

Now, is your WiFi connection stable? If the device is always searching, disconnecting and reconnecting then yes; that would be a major battery drain.

Another thing, if it's determined that the software itself is not properly managing the battery requirements for WiFi; then I wouldn't be surprised if it's addressed in Samsung's next Maintenance Release for the S6.

RogersDarrell

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

That being said, if it is not a software issue, you might actually have a device issue.
You can definitely send the phone for repair.

However, a little thing I know from personal experience, If you have a Samsung Service Center near you, they can (On the Spot) do a recalibration of the chipset of your phone (no data will be lost, as it is not a hard reset).

I live in GTA, and closest one to me is in Mississauga @ Heartland. I am unsure where you are - but you can go to the samsung website and it can tell you the nearest one as well.
www.samsung.ca
Also, what @RogersDarrell stated, is it only happening at home or everywhere? If only at home, I am going to say your Router/Wifi is unstable and that could definitely cause battery drainage. Just like cell signal if wifi signal has to try too hard to keep a connection (low bars) - Battery drain would be the first thing you'll notice.

I think this can be solved, as long as we find the right troubleshooting steps 🙂

Hope this helps @Paf !!! :]
Paf
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry for the late reply. @RogersDarrell My WiFi is stable and maintains around 4-5 bars of signal. This issue is driving me nuts! :S
@ShakTiburon I would bring my device to the nearest Samsung Service Center in my city if it wasn't for the unwelcoming atmosphere and poor service. But I am confident that it's not a hardware issue. My router runs fairly stable at 2.4GHz frequency bands and never had any issues. The drain only occurr when turning on WiFi no matter which network I use.

However, I did noticed that reception tends drop into the 2-3 bar zone when LTE is off. I don't think this matter since WiFi is the main problem for battery drain.

I did some research and found the solution for this problem. BUT....it's only for the T-mobile version. It can be fixed  by going into phone>more>settings>LTE over phone *off*.

Seems like I have to wait for OTA unless anyone has an alternative solution for rogers version.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Paf

Stay tuned to the OS Upgrade Schedule for any coming device updates.

RogersDarrell

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Thanks @RogersDarrell for the link.

@Paf - I still recommend the calibration. I gotta agree the Service Center by Samsung isn't the most pleasant... but I get my work done and that's all I care about.
Just a suggestion. Doesn't hurt to do the calibration by them... most you'll get is to confirm its not hardware issue?

Wait - I forget, did I ask you if this happens in any wifi or just home wifi? Would be very particular if its just one wifi network.
Paf
I've Been Here Awhile

@ShakTiburon Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely go there sometime this week. Battery drain occurs with every WiFi network including hotspots.

Another question, what is a chipset calibration?