cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S3 upgrade to 4.3

hghjghj
I'm Here A Lot

Good Day I have a S3 and want to upgrade it to 4.3 sooner than later. Yes I know that Samsung is not officially releasing the update until October which is good! My Question to Rogers, is does this mean I can expect to recieve the update right away or will Rogers have to do some testing resulting in delays in the update being released to customers?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: S3 upgrade to 4.3

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello hghjghj

Sadly you will not get it once Samsung releases it. The carriers will need to add their bloatware and then have tests on it before they release it. Its known Rogers takes weeks if not 1-3 months after to release the update to us. There is nothing that can be done at the moment. So we just have to wait until they release it.

View solution in original post

95 REPLIES 95

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello hghjghj

Sadly you will not get it once Samsung releases it. The carriers will need to add their bloatware and then have tests on it before they release it. Its known Rogers takes weeks if not 1-3 months after to release the update to us. There is nothing that can be done at the moment. So we just have to wait until they release it.

Thank you for the information, this is what I was concerned about... Good thing there are other options out there for updating. 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello hghjghj

You are welcome. 🙂

kennybigrig
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, I just read that  Samsung will release the android 4.3 upgrade in Canada for my GSIII.  Does that mean I will have to uninstall Kies and download the Kies 3 after the upgrade or will this all happen automatically with the upgrade?  Thanks, KennyB

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello kennybigrig

The update should come to you over OTA (over the air). If it does not within a few days, i would suggest doing it from Samsung Kies.

Also you will need to upgrade Samsung Kies to work. When opening Samsung Kies on your computer, it will prompt you to install the new update for Kies.

hghjghj
I'm Here A Lot
When is Rogers rolling out the update to the Siii?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello hghjghj

No one knows. It can be either end of November or start of December. Its know Rogers takes a few weeks or months to release it. Its happened in the past.

hghjghj
I'm Here A Lot
So I guess 4.4 is a long way out lol.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello hghjghj

It is lol. It will take months for the S3 to even get that.

hghjghj
I'm Here A Lot
Can you recommend a custom rom?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello hghjghj

For custom roms, look on XDA or search on Google and see which one has the best reviews.

Nitin
I Plan to Stick Around

Best answer I can give you is the same I posted in another thread earlier today. 

"... It should be rolling out by the end of this week or next week most likely. We have the exact same version as AT & T and usually we get our updates a couple of days before them. The AT & T update is supposed to roll out for the Galaxy S4 and S3 on Nov 13. 

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/10/25/leaked-documents-reveal-u-s-android-4-3-update-schedule-for-gala... 

Follow the AT & T schedule and that should give you a decent idea of the update schedule for the big 3. The international S3 update just started rolling out yesterday and the S4 update about 2.5 weeks ago. A 3-4 week delay is actually not that bad compared to the months we used to have to wait and makes it a believeable time period for "testing" and adding bloatware. 

PS: Although they usually update that OS update schedule there is no guarantee. The schedule wasn't updated for the HTC One until the update had already been released. " 

Creaulx
I Plan to Stick Around
If you're even close to being right I'm thanking you in advance. Not too concerned with 4.4 KitKat at the moment, but any speed improvements will be welcomed. Still reluctant to go the custom ROM route, but may end up trying it depending on how long Rogers takes with this update.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Creaulx

Samsung Canada did say that the S3,S4, Note 2 will be getting the 4.3 update in November. NOW this can change at any time as it has many times before. Nitin is just qouting what he / she has seen on a website. Althought the ATT version is the same, Rogers is known even with recent months to take 1-6 weeks to bring out a update for Android phones or any other phone with the exception of the iPhone & Nexus phones.

CA81
I'm Here A Lot

I wish Rogers just had a page that listed the devices they support and the dates they would be getting OS upgrades. Even if they were tentative and subject to change, at least we would have a brief idea on the release dates.

They would be less speculation.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello CA81

They did that and then had customers calling in, messaging them on Facebook how the update never came on the time they said. I understand why they are not doing it anymore. Also remember this way its better, they don't have a mob of people complaining about the dates are wrong and such. There will never be a ETA from Roger for updates unless in the future they change it in which i doubt it.

CA81
I'm Here A Lot

Makes sense.

Reminded me of this: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ", MIB 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello CA81

Exactly!

CA81
I'm Here A Lot

Is there any custom one, e.g. the CMod compatible with the SG3 from Rogers?

Its the SGH-I747M.

I know this might not be the correct place to inquire for this, but I tried searching for it and only found AT & T version of CM. Nothing mentioning rogers canada phones. I'm not so android literate. 😄

Lionsfan247
I've Been Around

Hi everyone

I see people discussing the Android 4.3 update for Rogers GS3 on here. I am running 4.1.2 and my phone says my software is up to date. Shouldn't I have 4.2 by now?

Thanks for any help the community can offer

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats