S3 upgrade to 4.3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: S3 upgrade to 4.3

Hi everyone

I see people discussing the Android 4.3 update for Rogers GS3 on here. I am running 4.1.2 and my phone says my software is up to date. Shouldn't I have 4.2 by now?

Thanks for any help the community can offer

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Lionsfan247

You should be receiving 4.3 in the up coming weeks. Hopefully Samsung Canada stays with their word. They are skipping 4.2
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The way Rogers works, upcoming weeks really means many, many months down the road.  They need to install all their bloatware junk that no one uses first.  And make no mistake, they are not making new upgrades a priority. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello SpecimenYarp

That is true but i doubt Samsung Canada would come out and say " will be released in November". Either way, it works the same on all Canadian carriers it seems.
I'm Here A Lot

i'm good to go just need new modem from 4.3 rom....come on rogers ;-)))  that's all ...flash it and install custom roms ...this is the rom i'm using now Omega v13.2 ●►Android 4.3 all working good only with GSM ENABLED not LTE because we need new modem from rogers...

Highlighted
I've Been Around

They skipped 4.2 update? Do you know the particular reason why? Also, for me to receive the update, do I have to do anything else than just checking for it from time to time?

Thank you for the help.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello JerryHSC

They skipped 4.2 because by the time Samsung Canada & the carrier would have released it, 4.3 would have been out. Also there was no really point of adding 4.2 then 4.3 after as 4.3 will have all the features 4.2 has plus the features & such 4.3 has. Samsung decided this, not Rogers.

You should be notified via OTA that there is a update. You can also look from time to time to see if the update is out. You can also look on here as many will post that they got the update as well.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I seriously doubt we're going to be seeing this anytime soon in Canada.  It hasn't been released for the US as yet, and where it has been rolled out, there are some major issues.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/11/13/android-4-3-update-for-galaxy-s-iii-causing-major-issues-might-h...

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Creaulx

I was about to post that link my self as well!. The problem is that 4.3 has features that the S3 may have trouble even using them. Also the issue is that Samsung, HTC, Sony, Apple, Blackberry, Nokia & the rest do NOT really test the updates before they get released. They just test it on maybe 1-3 devices & says its fine. Then release it with bugs / issues & crashed. Nothing is perfect at all.

I would give it start to mid December to see if at most. Rogers has NOTHING to do with this either so anyone going to blame Rogers, read the link posted as this is Samsung's fault, not Rogers.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

^ I'm going to have to comment on this last post. The OEM's do test their software quite vigorously. The international variants of their handsets outnumber the North American variants in both models and quantities sold. They deployt faster to those handsets because they do not have to bend to carrier whims and can deploy directly.

The carriers in North America are the biggest pain point for holding up updates due to their testing schedules. In this particular instance Samsung has released error ridden builds of 4.3 for the GS3 in select international markets and is working to fix it. This is not a usual occurance.