cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S3 upgrade to 4.3

hghjghj
I'm Here A Lot

Good Day I have a S3 and want to upgrade it to 4.3 sooner than later. Yes I know that Samsung is not officially releasing the update until October which is good! My Question to Rogers, is does this mean I can expect to recieve the update right away or will Rogers have to do some testing resulting in delays in the update being released to customers?

***edited labels***

95 REPLIES 95

Re: S3 upgrade to 4.3

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Lionsfan247

You should be receiving 4.3 in the up coming weeks. Hopefully Samsung Canada stays with their word. They are skipping 4.2

SpecimenYarp
I've Been Here Awhile

The way Rogers works, upcoming weeks really means many, many months down the road.  They need to install all their bloatware junk that no one uses first.  And make no mistake, they are not making new upgrades a priority. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello SpecimenYarp

That is true but i doubt Samsung Canada would come out and say " will be released in November". Either way, it works the same on all Canadian carriers it seems.

i'm good to go just need new modem from 4.3 rom....come on rogers ;-)))  that's all ...flash it and install custom roms ...this is the rom i'm using now Omega v13.2 ●►Android 4.3 all working good only with GSM ENABLED not LTE because we need new modem from rogers...

JerryHSC
I've Been Around

They skipped 4.2 update? Do you know the particular reason why? Also, for me to receive the update, do I have to do anything else than just checking for it from time to time?

Thank you for the help.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello JerryHSC

They skipped 4.2 because by the time Samsung Canada & the carrier would have released it, 4.3 would have been out. Also there was no really point of adding 4.2 then 4.3 after as 4.3 will have all the features 4.2 has plus the features & such 4.3 has. Samsung decided this, not Rogers.

You should be notified via OTA that there is a update. You can also look from time to time to see if the update is out. You can also look on here as many will post that they got the update as well.

Creaulx
I Plan to Stick Around

I seriously doubt we're going to be seeing this anytime soon in Canada.  It hasn't been released for the US as yet, and where it has been rolled out, there are some major issues.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/11/13/android-4-3-update-for-galaxy-s-iii-causing-major-issues-might-h...

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Creaulx

I was about to post that link my self as well!. The problem is that 4.3 has features that the S3 may have trouble even using them. Also the issue is that Samsung, HTC, Sony, Apple, Blackberry, Nokia & the rest do NOT really test the updates before they get released. They just test it on maybe 1-3 devices & says its fine. Then release it with bugs / issues & crashed. Nothing is perfect at all.

I would give it start to mid December to see if at most. Rogers has NOTHING to do with this either so anyone going to blame Rogers, read the link posted as this is Samsung's fault, not Rogers.

Tony_YYZ
I Plan to Stick Around

^ I'm going to have to comment on this last post. The OEM's do test their software quite vigorously. The international variants of their handsets outnumber the North American variants in both models and quantities sold. They deployt faster to those handsets because they do not have to bend to carrier whims and can deploy directly.

The carriers in North America are the biggest pain point for holding up updates due to their testing schedules. In this particular instance Samsung has released error ridden builds of 4.3 for the GS3 in select international markets and is working to fix it. This is not a usual occurance.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Tony_YYZ

Even then, Canadian carriers are known to take their time to release a update. Ir used to take almost a year to get a update that the rest of the world has already. Its not only Rogers but its all the carriers in Canada.

The manufacturer does tests to make sure everything works like it should be but with skipping a version, there must me a reason.

Tony_YYZ
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix

It's not just in Canada, it's throughout North America. Which is exacly what I stated before.

The reason 4.2.2 was skipped over was due to the close release of 4.3. Samsung devices require 4.3 to work with Galaxy Gear devices and as such it did not make sense for Samsung to roll out a 4.2.2 update to their legacy devices only to have to work in overdrive to get 4.3 out the door in time for the Galaxy Gear release.

Samsung could have finished testing months ago and the update could be held up by the carriers. The issue in the aforementioned article is for an update to the International i9300 variant ROM. The i747M uses very different underlying code in the ROM.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Tony_YYZ

Oh i know that as i read it on the Samsung forums and on a few sites. It just then if they will be pushing back the update, might as well make it worth it. I just hope 4.3 gives the S3 more futures rather then problems.

Nitin
I Plan to Stick Around

Latest Samsung press release says the S3 4.3 update has been delayed. 

“As we are currently investigating the reported issues with Galaxy S3 4.3 Jelly Bean update, the upgrading service has been temporarily suspended. We are committed to providing customers with the best possible mobile experience, and will ensure to resume the upgrading service at the earliest possibility.” – Samsung Mobile UK

Tony_YYZ
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nitin

that was issued by Samsung Mobile UK. The UK received the i9300 model of the S3. We have the i747M here in Canada. It's a very different model. Issues present on the i9300 are not necessarily present on the i747M units due to using different ROMs.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Nitin

I have to agree with Tony_YYZ. This is not from Samsung Canada, its from Samsung UK. Different device models.

Nitin
I Plan to Stick Around

It was just a reference point to possible global delay to the rollout as typically the international version recieves the update much before so it could be very possible that the update has been delayed in North America as well but I'm glad to know I am wrong as the T-mobile update and AT & T S3 updates have started rolling out so hopefully these updates are bug free. 

Nitin
I Plan to Stick Around

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/11/21/samsung-price-dropping-galaxy-gear-to-280-galaxy-siii-and-note-ii-...

Ia press release today, Samsung has stated that the Galaxy S3 and Note II will also receive an update “starting on November 29th,” but noted “timing varies by device and carrier/retailer.”

Tony_YYZ
I Plan to Stick Around

The Android 4.4 Jelly Bean OS update is now live across all major Canadian carriers!

You can check for the update by going into Settings/About Phone/System Updates

The update brings the following changes:

• Added new feature (KNOX for consumer, etc)
  • Compatibility with Galaxy Gear
  • SPen enhancements
  • Improved performance (Graphics, Multimedia, Bluetooth, etc)
  • Improved the user interface and stability
  • User interface adjustment (Icon change, etc)
  • Security Enhancements

Happy Downloading!

CA81
I'm Here A Lot

Guys,

I think the S3 update to 4.3 is out.

I just tried downloading via data, but it failed. Says to try with Wi-Fi.

Can anyone confirm?

Thank you.

Same thing happened to me this morning.

Creaulx
I Plan to Stick Around

I can see it is available through Kies todayl, but can't download at work due to corporate restrictions.  Hopefully this one is bug-free!!!

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats