S2 LTE After ICS 4.04 - Tethering and hotspot not working!?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

S2 LTE After ICS 4.04 - Tethering and hotspot not working!?

Wow. I guess the title does it then.

After the update, which was the most excited I have been since.. . nevermind, I am no longer able to get a working hotspot OR USB tether. Windows 7 gives its ’limited connectivity` error. Confirmed on a second device. Quite annoying, especially since I am on the road.

While hurtling down the 4 lane in terror, my wife at the wheel, I called Rogers and they had no knowledge, but offered a suggestion to do a factory reset. To no avail. I was hoping for an app conflict.

Funny story.. I tethered while on the highway and KIES happened to be open, because I checked like three times a day for weeks.. I had to rub my eyes when I saw the update! A fter trying to get the BIG file through 4g a couple times, I ran into a staples and begged them to connect me to their WI-FI to finally do it on battery power on their desk. My wife thinks I should have been on big bang theory. ..

Initial impressions.. . WAY smoother interface, and cool changes to the settings. looks like a lot of new smart options! They better solve this glitch.

Anyone else seeing this?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: S2 LTE After ICS 4.04 - Tethering and hotspot not working!?

My plan already has tethering and after ICS update on my GNote tethering stopped working. It acts like it works, my tablet gets an IP address from my phone but it will not route traffic. I found a solution FoxFI

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

And you don't need to be rooted.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

And..  FIXED.

Apperently, the problem was that I COULD tether BEFORE the update!

I was on a 'promotional' cheap flexing data plan.  Officially, tethering should not work with it.  The older Android was not enforcing it.  Strangely, neither does the old Android on my wife's Xperia X10.

All good now!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Im having the same problem right now. Doesnt seem like Rogers knows whats going on.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry if my post was unclear, the older versions of Android were allowing tethering even if you plan did NOT.  (Interestingly, I've been tethering for well over a decade with Rogers, and I have never heard of any difference between a data capable package, and a tethering data capable package.  This is a new difference, and I am not impressed.)

Anyway, if you could tether with Android 2.*, and you CAN'T with Android 4, check with Tech Support, and ask them if your account is properly set up for tethering.  (Hotspot functionality is pretty much bound by the same restriction.)

I was told you need at least a 1 Gig data plan for tethering to be enabled.  Once that was changed, bingo.

PD

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hmmm...been on the phone with mutiple tech support agents and its still not working. I had them confirm im setup for tethering which i am and also had them reset my data plan. A few support agents mention this is a known problem and are working on a fix. Dont know whatelse i can do, revert back to gingerbread?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Is it the same for USB AND wifi?

I am finding that wifi takes almost a minute to gain internet access, while USB is very quick.  I thought maybe you were using the hotspot and giving up too soon.

My wife and I each have the same phones now.  Each is acting the same.  I haven't eliminated the laptop as a possibility though.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yep, same for both wi-fi and usb. Ive tried multiple laptops and im still seeing the same results. Not sure what to try next, really need the hotspot to work next week! Maybe ill keep bugging rogers 🙂

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My plan already has tethering and after ICS update on my GNote tethering stopped working. It acts like it works, my tablet gets an IP address from my phone but it will not route traffic. I found a solution FoxFI

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

And you don't need to be rooted.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Excellent!

Thanks varmint!

FoxFI worked great for me.

No muss, no fuss!