cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumored Silent iPhone4 Recall?

ne14t
I Plan to Stick Around

So I have browsed about some boards and find this quite an interesting situation, a few blogs report that Apple has possibly done silent recall on the original units.  Further speculation comes from other sources where people state they had returned there original iPhone4's and when they recieved a replacement unit the stainless steel band that acts as the antenna is no longer shiney color but instead a dull matte color and no longer suffer from the death grip, around the same time the Apple.com store changed shipping time on the iPhone4 from 7days to 3weeks.  Now of course this is all speculation; however if this is infact what happened it would explain on the stock issues.  I dont wanna know when they are coming or when you are getting more I want to know about this rumored recall and yes its a technical question as this will determine my outlook on this product, if it infact was recalled that means apple reckognized an issue and that would mean they launched a defective product which makes me think the overall quality will suck.

***edited labels***

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Rumored Silent iPhone4 Recall?

aaronlaity
I Plan to Stick Around
I think this rumor may be correct. Consider: I tried out a display model in an Apple store which clearly showed the attenuation issue. However, I've tried to reproduce the issue with phones bought by a friend and a coworker and wasn't able to, even with two people covering the entire antenna with their hands.

If there is a silent recall happening (or has already happened), it would explain the stock issues. It would also explain why Rogers isn't being completely upfront about stock levels (Apple likely wouldn't allow them to be to avoid people guessing what was really going on), and why the infamous Saturday delivery never actually happened.

ne14t
I Plan to Stick Around

Its all speculation unfortunately we would probably never know the truth.  In other interesting news they did can the Senior VP that was incharge of designing the antenna apparently.  So yeah its pretty big news when a senior exec gets the the old boot out the door.

Matter
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, but there will be no silent recall.

The antenna issue exists on the iPhone 4 whether you bought the launch model or whether you bought it yesterday. The reason you haven't been able to replicate the problem on your friends phone is because you were in a high signal area.

At my house I have 3 bars, when I hold it, it dies.

In the middle of Yonge and Dundas I can hold it and it doesn't drop any bars.

aaronlaity
I Plan to Stick Around

@Matter wrote:

Sorry, but there will be no silent recall.

That's not actually up to you.

The antenna issue exists on the iPhone 4 whether you bought the launch model or whether you bought it yesterday. The reason you haven't been able to replicate the problem on your friends phone is because you were in a high signal area.

At my house I have 3 bars, when I hold it, it dies.

In the middle of Yonge and Dundas I can hold it and it doesn't drop any bars.

As the other poster said, it's just idle speculation. A silent recall happens to fit recent events.

ne14t
I Plan to Stick Around

And what about the noticeable difference in the steel band that acts as the antenna?  Especially since the the phone that the death grip didnt work on is the one that has a different band, thats what catches my attention the most.  I am not talking about a recall possibly happening I am talking about one already happening.

Matter
I Plan to Stick Around

@

No, it's not up to me, but if a "silent recall is in effect" then explain why my iPhone 4 has the exact same antenna problems that were originally reported in the US version? To clarify, I got my phone on Tuesday and it was a brand new shipment.

@

There is no "new iPhone with updated antenna". The issue still exists. The launch day iPhones and the ones from this week do not differ at all. 

aaronlaity
I Plan to Stick Around

Because the recall is silent and any stock in stores or in transit is still being sold, while anything not yet shipped is being swapped? Because your shipment was not selected for recall? Because your unit was RMAed without being opened and then re-shipped? There are probably 20 different possible reasons. Whether any one phone has the problem or not isn't indicative of anything. 

Again, all idle speculation. As the other poster said, we'll never know for sure if these things are recalled behind-the-scenes.

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting all of your comments.

Please note, this community is designed as a place where customers can help each other find answers for technical questions and this thread is getting off-topic for the forums.

We do provide non-technical topics including our RedBoard blog and our @RogersHelps Twitter account. There are also lots of great third-party forums where non-technical conversations take place regularly.

In the future, I'll be removing off-topic posts, but I just wanted to flag this while the community gets familiar with our Community Guidelines.

Amar
I've Been Here Awhile

@aaronlaity wrote:
I think this rumor may be correct. Consider: I tried out a display model in an Apple store which clearly showed the attenuation issue. However, I've tried to reproduce the issue with phones bought by a friend and a coworker and wasn't able to, even with two people covering the entire antenna with their hands.

If there is a silent recall happening (or has already happened), it would explain the stock issues. It would also explain why Rogers isn't being completely upfront about stock levels (Apple likely wouldn't allow them to be to avoid people guessing what was really going on), and why the infamous Saturday delivery never actually happened.

Highly unlikey,

Most probably what happend is that at Apple Store you had less signal on the phone when you performed the antenna test and at your home or whereever you tested your own phone there was full signal, that's why you don't see the signal drop. Google the issue for full details if you require more explanation.

Amar
I've Been Here Awhile

Highly unlikey,

Most probably what happend is that at Apple Store you had less signal on the phone when you performed the antenna test and at your home or whereever you tested your own phone there was full signal, that's why you don't see the signal drop. Google the issue for full details if you require more explanation

@aaronlaity wrote:

RogersErin

Hi ne14t,

Congrats on being a top poster as an Advisor in our Community Forum!

You can catch iPhone 4 updates on our RedBoard blog post here:

http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/iphone-4-launches-tomorrow-on-rogers

Please keep in mind, the goal of the forums is to provide a venue where customers can help each other with technical questions related to our products and services. We're going to be flexible with this as customers learn the community guidelines.

Thanks

gmckay
I Plan to Stick Around

There is a new rumor, surfaced this week from the Director of Telcel (Mexico).  He stated that end of September, a new hardware rev. will be out to address the antenna issue.

I'll wager that this is accurate.   Consider the free bumper cover expires on this date and the apparent shortage of new iPhone 4's everywhere.

hmmm.

Hit the link for more info.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/31/mexican-carrier-executive-claims-iphone-4-hardware-revision-comi...

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation