cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers wireless network almost useless

gnich
I Plan to Stick Around

How much longer will this terrible throughput and latency go on?  For the last month, I've had full bars yet the internet is almost useless in downtown Ottawa.  My friends with iphones are having the same problem.  I rely on this device and if this is the new norm, I'm afraid I'll be looking for alternatives.  I'd just like to get the data I'm paying dearly for...

And yes, I've tried every trick in the book that Tech Support asked me to do.   Sorry, but it's the network.

Link

Link 2

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers wireless network almost useless

Hi all,

I am sorry to hear you are all experiencing these issues but we need to get contacted directly so we can go through the proper troubleshooting on our end OR escalate the issue to our network engineers.

That is the only way we will be able to address and fix these issues.

If you call 1866-931-3282, press 2 for technical support. One of our iPhone experts will be able to work on a resolution with you. Be sure to keep us updated!

You can also reach our live chat support at www.rogershelp.com/btsc

Thanks to everyone for being patient.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

RogersJean
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi gnich and welcome to the forums,

Would be able to share what steps you have taken to try and resolve this?

Where are you located specifically?

If all the troubleshooting steps have been attempted, the last step is to escalate the issue with Tier 2 if it is indeed a network issue.

You can reach our technical support at 1866-931-3282. Keep us updated if you get things working!

mattahari75
I've Been Here Awhile

Well guys,

I have been reading all the posts regarding network problems and can tell you this is not specific to the iPhone.  I have a Blackberry Bold 9000 and my son who is also with Rogers has an iPhone 3G and we both have problems and have had for at least 3 months.  I can tell you from previous experiences over the years I have been with Rogers they WILL NOT admit to network problems.  They will however say it's the operator error or a device malfunction.  I have learned to accept this problem and no matter how much I complain it gets resolved when they get around to it.   I travel on occasion and have had this problem different places in Canada.  So Rogers.  I think you need to consider upgrading your network BEFORE  you upgrade your devices.  By the way I tried to reply to another string of posts on this problem and found the string was locked.  What's up with that?  I guess Rogers doesn't like the negative attention. 

mattahari75,

are you using an old sim card? because if so, then i suggest upgrading them because using an old sim card in a newer device will affect the network performace. i had the same problem a few months back with my blackberry curve 3G and tech support suggested updating my sim card because i was using my previous one from my old phone and when i did get a new sim, the reception and call connections and quality was much better.

if you did get a new sim card and still experiencing the same problems then maybe your devices might be defective which is replaceable by tech support if you're still within the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. because honestly i have absolutely no problems with the 3G network and neither does my bf who's using an iphone 4 (surprise surprise!)

i've been a Rogers wireless customer for 8 years and never had a complaint about the network.

Silvorgold
I'm Here A Lot

I live in Manitoba and frequently visit a rural area to visit family. We've been promised 3G and coverage expansion/improvements for SEVERAL years, but nope, nothing.

I tried to use my iPhone over EDGE the other day - it was too slow. So I did a speed test, this is a VERY unacceptable speed!

http://imgur.com/kzYoQ.jpg

This isn't just an iPhone thing, I tested on another 3G device I own, and exact same sort of speeds. This is horrible! I'm in the country right now, and it just says "No Service". I wish Rogers would hurry up and turn 3G on already (it was supposed to be up by now), but I know the 3G network will be just as bad.. testing it when it would randomly turn on, the upload speeds were that bad as well.

I wish Rogers would get their head out of their derriere and fix the darn network (and upgrade in rural Canada). Telus probably will have 3G in Manitoba (outside Winnipeg) before Rogers ever will! 

smokingbryan
I've Been Here Awhile

I live in rural manitoba, and have been promised for the last 2 years, every 6 months, that I would be getting 3G service...  And now when you go to rogers.com/manitoba you get a error 500 - page not found on server..  So does this mean that they're not going through with the 3G upgrade in manitoba now?  So I think you have one too many words in the title of this post...

pogosha
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue using my iPhone 3G connection, almost full bars and no movement of data... I am located downtown Toronto at Simcoe and Richmond St. specifically and it's been like this for months here, today is especially bad, I've called Rogers techsupport numerous times and no resolution....

- upgraded the firmware to the latest one

- restored the phone (which isn't the issue since I am not the only Rogers iPhone customer having the issues in this area

This is horrible... mind you it works fine in other areas but this is not what I pay for $100+ a month to have it works only in some places!Smiley Sad

Chantil
I've Been Around

I have the same problem.

When I purhcased my iphone and signed my THREE year contract, I was promised I would have service son rural highways. I do not. It does not work as soon as I leave the city.

I have spoken to Tech about this, all they do is transfer you from department to department. The answer I got is"well, the map says it works." It doesn't, their map is wrong.

So frustrating to be stuck with a phone that does not work!

Hi all,

I am sorry to hear you are all experiencing these issues but we need to get contacted directly so we can go through the proper troubleshooting on our end OR escalate the issue to our network engineers.

That is the only way we will be able to address and fix these issues.

If you call 1866-931-3282, press 2 for technical support. One of our iPhone experts will be able to work on a resolution with you. Be sure to keep us updated!

You can also reach our live chat support at www.rogershelp.com/btsc

Thanks to everyone for being patient.

Network Problems

discojay
I've Been Around

Can't Rogers post network problems and outages on their site somewhere easily accessible? At least then I would know and would'nt need to sit on hold thinking it may be an issue with my phone, SIM, etc...

Maybe they do somewhere and I can't find it.

Re: Network Problems

hey guys im livining in estevan saskatchewan and the network is gone completely i can get no service i rely on my cell phone as my only phone and well how much longer will the network will be down n yes i have tried with my old phone there is no service

Bodyman
I've Been Here Awhile

All down in Yorkton and Melville today also. Not sure how widespread.

Will have to wait and see what's up.

Bodyman
I've Been Here Awhile

Working again.   No rhyme nor reason.

Cruznv
I've Been Around

Almost useless in most of rural Saskatchewan & not always dependable 3G in the cities where it is available.....usually so slow to load a page in Safari that I don't use itSmiley Mad::..what a waste of 2 years of money.....problem is I love my iPhone, it's Rogers service/rural coverage that sucks....but their is a GodSmiley Very Happy, it was just annouced that the leading wireless provider in our province is getting the iPhone the end of this month,, therefore will provide excellent rural coverage/service. 

So that means if I pay out the remainder of my contract with Rogers, I will have a full functioning iPhone with great rural coverage & exceptional 3G in Saskatchewan....So that said.....Does anyone know what it costs for each month left in a contract, if I chose to pay it out?.......Thank you in Advance to anyone who has a reply to my Question....

mcgowanrosemary
I've Been Here Awhile

Why is the Rogers 4G on my new HTC rarely available in the Springbank area, ie 4 kms west of Calgary city limits? Same problem with my prior Sony Ericsson 3G which died recently. This is terrible service. Occuring currently at 2:30 pm Sunday Jan 15 2012. This can't be normal. The only time I can get consistent service is to drive into the city and go to Second Cup cafe and use their wifi. Is that what is expected of me.

MJS613
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi All,

I have been having issues with the network as well my phone dropping connections all the time all over the Ottawa area.  I did all the troubleshooting with the useless support and their conclusion was I needed a new device.  I am running a iPhone 3Gs old but still working great.  I held off on buying a new handset and locking in for another 3 years as I was going away for the holidays and didn't want to worry about it.  Good thing because when I was in BC my phone worked flawlessly, didn't drop once.  So 3 weeks later I come back to Ottawa and within the 1st hour my phone drops the cellular data network and couldn't get it to come back till the next morning.

So I called Rogers and explained to them that it wasn't my phone because I used it while I was in BC for 3 weeks without any issues. So they escalated my ticket to the engineers and I have now been told that it is due to congestion on the network in my area around my house.  Well that is great in all but it isn't just the area around my house it is all over Ottawa. Dropped connection slow throughput.  I asked for an eta on a fix and they couldn't tell me all the tech said is they aren't sure how they are going to resolve the issue.

So I talked to the customer satisfaction people to explain my issue...how the tech said I needed a new phone when it turns out to be their network really glad I didn't listen to the tech and get a new phone and contract.  Then I explained how this has been going on now for over 3 months.  I asked if there was any compensation for the crappy service as I am not getting the service that I am paying for.  The rep on the phone said there is nothing we can do for you, as you are getting service.  My argument is I am getting service but it is crap.  Slow speeds dropped connection, horrible tech support. I am glad my contract is up in less then a year.  I can say this much I will not be staying with Rogers after all these issues and Network problems. 

Maybe if enough people complain Rogers will fix the network.

mcgowanrosemary
I've Been Here Awhile
Boy I understand your frustration. I thought my phone with 4g and LTE capability would resolve this issue. But because of you I now know the problem is Rogers doesn't have the capacity to handle customers needs. Unfortunately for me I locked in for 3years. I do think until more cities go to LTE they have no incentive to add for room for you and me. Canada has a really poor reputation worldwide for
wireless service and fees are too high. I don't know who we can turn to. They give lip service so complaints are not going to change their customer service. Any ideas appreciated!

Have to agree with everyone in the Ottawa area.  Used to be fine, but the past couple of months have been a disaster.

Everyone with a Rogers phone in our building has the same issue.  By 8:30 in the morning the network is done for the day.  After 30 minutes on line with tech support all I got was the suggestion to switch to the Edge network - which seems to at least work, but is not a real answer to the problem. 

The only other message from Rogers was that they don't guarantee reception inside buildings - tough luck.

Any suggestions on how to get this resolved would be good.

MJS613
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey pg,

I have been fighting with Rogers for over 2 months about this and have been having the issue for almost 5 months now.  They have acknowledged that it is an issue with their network and congestion issues.  So I call in every few days to get an update on my ticket and I always get the same answer.  They have put more towers up in your area and have closed the ticket.  Then I proceed to tell them that the extra towers are not working because I am still experiencing the issue.  I was off work the past 2 weeks due to surgery and the service was the worst it has ever been.  So I called back and again I got the They put more towers up it should be fine answer and that the ticket was closed. So this time I asked to talk to customer relations and complained so they are finally giving me 50% off my bill for 6 months.  I suggest you do the same, it doest fix the service but it lessens the pain of having to pay for a service that you are not receiving.  I am in a lucky position that my contract is up with Rogers in 10 months.  So I am going to give them the 6 months to fix the issue and if it isn't fixed I will lodge a complaint with the CRTC and CCTS.  and then I will probably switch providers....as I think 6 months is plenty of time to resolve the network issues.

Hope that helps.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

The CRTC will not do anything other then read the complaints. Believe me thousands have send letters / phone calls & emails to the CRTC & yet nothing has happened. Once my year is up im switching straight to Fido. I know they are owned by Rogers but never once have i had any billing or any network issues. The have millions of dollars i am sure they can afford to put up a few more towers. **bleep** even Bell is putting up towers.

Um.. meowmix..

Switching to fido wont fix your network problems.. as they use the rogers network, towers, etc for communications.. you would run into the same thing.

And rogers is putting up some towers... well at least 1 that i know of, up near where i live, thank goodness 😛

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats