Rogers we expect ICS update for GS2 LTE

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
porkrind
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers we expect ICS update for GS2 LTE

Perhaps, but I see no reason for Rogers to keep their paying customers in the dark. Id still have my iphone if I'd known ICS was only wishware!
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

First of all Windows and Mac are not a phone. Second the updates for those cost money because it takes them a lot of time and money to built a update like that.

You can not compare that with phone software. The ICS yes has been out for weeks BUT that is customer ROMS. Not the official ones. Please read and look before making comments. The custom ROMs are not the same as the official or original ROMS.

That does not matter tho. You seem not to understand this do you.. Rogers needs to update the phones they carry. If you look around on the forums you will see many phones even from last year blackberries and windows phones have not been updated to the new software they need. Rogers is taking their time thats all. They think we all have patience and can wait. But they do not ubderstand people are leaving due to this. At least Telus and Bell inform the customers when the update is ready and needs to be upgraded. Rogers does not do that.
copper7op
I Plan to Stick Around

Not true, The HTC Official ICS Rom was released, and the Galaxy S2 official Roms have been released too (Please dont say 'for Bell' or "for Telus" or that, these are all SIM based phones and can work on rogers)

I currently have the i727 sitting on my desk running an un-rooted, bone stock, 4.0.3 ICS system. It just came out weeks ago, direct from Samsung, so please, look and read before making comments.

Updates are almost NEVER provided OTA or even thru desktop apps automatically. If I want to upgrade my 9900 to OS 7.1, I go to blackberry FIRST. Its not the carrier responsibility.

Imagine if everyone went to the carrier? They'd require a whole division just to service a product they don't make.

And lets be honest, 90% of users never upgrade their phone. Its an appliance, like a toaster or a dvd player. I've had thousands of phones come across my desk, and almost all of them are running the OS that was shipped.

Only geeks like us demand more 🙂
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

I guess you really do not get it do you. Each software is made Different for each phone.. Yes HTC came out with ICS but that does not mean that ICS update will work with all the HTC phones. Same goes for the S2. Rogers S2 LTE is NOT the same as the Bell version.. Please think about it. Different hardware in the phone which make it different software for the phones. Also yes the carriers are the ones responsible for the update because the carriers are the ones giving the updates to us, not the manufacturer.
Also is your S2 from Rogers or from Samsung? If it's from Samsung then it would get updates from them but if it's the Rogers S2 LTE then it would get updates from Rogers. I can also show you proof of this as well straight from Samsung Canada if you like.

Do you have any proof to back your "90%" people? Please posy it or just dont bother. When updates come on the phone, poeple update the phones. How come around 99% of iPhones are in the current update then? I can post links as well to show you.

copper7op
I Plan to Stick Around

99% of people on Apple OS5 are running the current version, yes. Because apple pushes the updates DIRECTLY in OS5. In OS4, this was not the case, and one of the main reasons Apple built the AutoUpdate feature in was to curb Jailbreaking, and to keep supprt easy by forcing users to have the latest version. This was because in 3.x and 4.x when users called in, almost NO ONE had the latest version. 

I'm well aware that the hardware itself has differences, and that is currently one of Android and HTC/Samsung/Sony's problems, market fragmentation. The i-727 and i-727R are virtually identical, but they change something miniscule and it seems to require a total kernel wrewrite.  😞 

And actually I do feel BAD for the Note people, I honestly cant believe Samsung brings a new product to the market,  AFTER ICS is released, and still makes them wait 😞 

Edit - as far as numbers and proof? I ran one of the largest iPhone/Blackberry repair shops in the east coast. I've repaired thousands of devices, and obviously have seen the version numbers they were running as I fixed them. 

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Good healthy debate everyone.

Lets just remember to always be courteous and respectful.

Thanks!

RogersDarrell

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@copper7op wrote:
Not true, The HTC Official ICS Rom was released, and the Galaxy S2 official Roms have been released too (Please dont say 'for Bell' or "for Telus" or that, these are all SIM based phones and can work on rogers)

I currently have the i727 sitting on my desk running an un-rooted, bone stock, 4.0.3 ICS system. It just came out weeks ago, direct from Samsung, so please, look and read before making comments.

Updates are almost NEVER provided OTA or even thru desktop apps automatically. If I want to upgrade my 9900 to OS 7.1, I go to blackberry FIRST. Its not the carrier responsibility.

Imagine if everyone went to the carrier? They'd require a whole division just to service a product they don't make.

And lets be honest, 90% of users never upgrade their phone. Its an appliance, like a toaster or a dvd player. I've had thousands of phones come across my desk, and almost all of them are running the OS that was shipped.

Only geeks like us demand more 🙂

Wait.. Your i727 (the model number specifically for the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE) is running 4.0.3 as a stock ROM? You got this ROM directly from Samsung? Hot **bleep**! Can you do the mod community a favour and dump it?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?s=399b0a40f7801875ca650d70cec56bac&f=1383

I posted the link directly to the forum for your version of the phone. The guys over there, who write custom drivers, apps, kernels, etc, only have leaked versions from AT&T for some reason. So if you could provide your official version from Samsung that'd be awesome.

For a point of clarification, the difference between the i727 and the i727R is... the R. They run different ROMs because the carrier requests different features for them to work best on their network (in their minds). Other than the roms however, they are exactly the same. Not sure how familiar you are with cell phone carriers in Canada, but they do require people to go to them for their phones to be upgraded. That is why there is such poor support overall from the carrier when you call in with a problem other than, "I forgot my voicemail password".

How do I know this you ask? Well I do run the biggest cell phone repair shop on the east coast. Yup. I can't tell you what it's called or anything like that. Just take my word for it. However you probably are correct that the majority of phone owners don't upgrade their phones.

shaggyskunk

@copper7op, Sure you do! That just must be why a few hundred thousand members at XDA, are clamouring for an official release of ICS, for the sgh-i727!
Yeah, and I'm sitting here with my Galaxy Slll running Jellybean... Lol!
artist1950
I've Been Around

Why can't we just get the ICS update from Samsung without the Bloatware. 

mbazdell

Really it's not the bloatware that's holding it up, but they're either testing the radio firmware, writing new firmware for the radio, or they simply haven't gotten to this phone yet. Keep in mind that AT&T is like 10 times bigger than Rogers, so they can test and upgrade more phones faster.

Again, it's the radio firmware that's holding up the release. The bloatware takes a week at most to update and make work.