Rogers we expect ICS update for GS2 LTE

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Rogers we expect ICS update for GS2 LTE

The thing is tho that Apple only has the iPhone to deal with when it comes to the carriers. So really all they did was make a agrement in place to have all the iPhone's no matter which carrier & have them update at the same time straight from Apple.

Google releases way to many phones with Android. This can be a issue becuase every 5 -6 months a new HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola, & others release phones with Android in them. Google will need to go really far &give a lot of money to do this with every carrier. Also carriers will deny it too.
shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Ok, but think about Microsoft... How many different pc makers are there... And MS manages to release o/s that will work on almost all of them! Not only that, but we can get updates from MS directly... It makes no difference which company we get our Internet service from... It's bull crap that the freaking phone companies dictate when & even if a phone gets an update!!
The carriers are service providers!! Nothing more!! Problem is in part... That there is really only one carrier in Canada... Monopoly control at it's worst!!
A great amount of Canadian tv programms stink... And so it is again that the CRTC IMPOSES it's idea of what's "good" for Canadians!
mbazdell

Well.. Google doesn't release the phones... The manufacturer does. Google only releases the Nexus line, which is up to date.

Microsoft does make Windows, but they don't make all the drivers to make your stuff work. When a new version of Windows comes out, you often have to wait months for all the drivers your system uses to be supported unless you're running very generic hardware. These phones all have specialized equipment, and a limited memory capacity. For example, the Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy S2 LTE have different CPUs which mean they need totally different drivers in order to work with ICS. If you've ever used Linux in depth you'd know that compiling a kernel isn't garuntee it'll support your hardware. In order to make all the drivers for the hardware in each device takes time. They also put the drivers through Q/A which takes more time.

Like Meowmix said, Apple only has 3 phones to worry about when releasing an update. Google only has 2 phones to worry about. If you want the latest, stay with Nexus. If you don't mind waiting or flashing custom ROMs, then get a different Android phone.

Achilles
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@shaggyskunk wrote:
Ok, but think about Microsoft... How many different pc makers are there... And MS manages to release o/s that will work on almost all of them! Not only that, but we can get updates from MS directly... It makes no difference which company we get our Internet service from... It's bull crap that the freaking phone companies dictate when & even if a phone gets an update!!
The carriers are service providers!! Nothing more!! Problem is in part... That there is really only one carrier in Canada... Monopoly control at it's worst!!
A great amount of Canadian tv programms stink... And so it is again that the CRTC IMPOSES it's idea of what's "good" for Canadians!

I agree wholeheartedly. The CRTC needs to let us chose what movies, music, etc. we want to watch. Canada is a multi-cultural country afterall. But then again, this thread was a mere reminder we scream for ice-cream and that is all.

shaggyskunk

Fundamentally, I disagree with almost everything you said! Win7 was backward compatible with all but the older pcs!
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Update.

so looking threw at Mobilesyrup. Samsung Canada has sent them a email saying the update for the Galaxy s2 LTE & other Samsung devices will be updated to 4.0 ICS as soon as
today. Samsung Canada said " The availability and scheduling of the software upgrade and specific models upgradable to Android 4.0 will vary by market and wireless carriers’ requirements. For carrier specific details, please visit your nearest carrier retaile".

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/04/30/samsung-canada-says-android-os-4-0-upgrade-will-be-available-today...

D33T
I Plan to Stick Around

So will we get a text or email letting us know when we can get the update or do we have to keep checking online???

Achilles
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@D33T wrote:

So will we get a text or email letting us know when we can get the update or do we have to keep checking online???

I think keep checking with Kies. I wish they'd push it today. Checked this morning...nothing.

mike04404
I've Been Here Awhile

Any updates as of yet guys
D33T
I Plan to Stick Around

Bell gets to update their SII's today ... darn!  why can't carriers all release updates same day/time!!