Rogers vs Google DNS

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rogers vs Google DNS

@wiredwoman:

Rogers provides RocketHub hardware from both Netcomm and Ericssen.  I have the Ericssen W35 on which you cannot change the DNS settings.  It is my understanding that the Netcomm does allow DNS settings to be modified on the 'Hub.

skinorth

ranma006
I've Been Around

@skinorth.

Hi, do you know if its possible to change my DNS with a Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway router?

if so how would I go about doing that?

Thank you.

Personamatic
I've Been Around

Same poor dns problems with Cisco router -- primarily on my ipad.  Netflix, apple tv, pc laptop, Mac laptop, iPhone, and ipod touch work ok on rogers default dns.  Changed dns to 8.8.8.8 as recommended at top of the thread.  Did so right in settings.  Works like a charm!

mart0091
I Plan to Stick Around

I've acutally switched to OpenDNS (Not great.. but, at least it's not Rogers).
I made the change because of filtering issues, poor lookup, etc from the roger's default DNS servers, as well as injected content from Rogers while I was using their servers.

Seems to be unreliable as the rest of the Rogers services.

(yes, fido, and mobile internet issues at my parent's place as well, after FIDO was bought by rogers)

swlclark
I've Been Around

You can't actually change it...what you can do is go into LAN Setup, and in the DHCP options, you can have up to 3 DNS servers. Finding Rogers DNS numbers is pretty easy, there are several noted in this thread, or you can go OpenDNS, or find some other 'open' DNS servers.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All depends on how you do the DNS change 🙂

If you do the change on your PC end, you can 100% change it to use whichever DNS servers you have listed, it will never use the ones listed in the router/gateway 🙂

gworf
I've Been Around

Three years after the original post, this is still applicable. So why isn't Rogers updating their DNS server?

TJFish
I've Been Around

DNS not working again last night and today.

Not able to ping these DNS servers:

Here's the workaround to use another DNS server:

1. For Windows 7 Open the Control Panel and select “Network and Sharing Center”
2. Now open up your current Local Area Connection settings. Select "change adapter settings".
3. On Local Area Connection (or your active network device), right-click to select Properties.
4. Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP) from the list and then click the Properties button.
5. Now it’s time to enter your new DNS servers. First select the “Use the following DNS server addresses” option and then type in the preferred (208.67.222.222) and alternate (208.67.220.220) servers. OK and Close.

Works great now!

Beauvaidos
I've Been Around

skinorth ... 

I am a guest in a Rogers Serviced Home ... HD & Wireless up the Ying Yang ... suddenly I cannot get Internet over Wireless. Hardwired is fine with absolutely no changes or adjutments, only Wireless is problematic, My Network & sharing centre shows connection, speeds, transmissions and receptions but every page is unavailable and when diagnosed they reply "cannot communicate with DNS Server (???.???.???.???) ... What's UP ???

wjw
I'm Here A Lot

Happened today again! DNS becomes flaky and we can not connect to most sites.

After changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 (Google) everything starts to work again.

Sigh.