Rogers to charge for each device connected to its network?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers to charge for each device connected to its network?

Well, if it's like the others that have had the issue, you won't be able to connect to the router or internet, so I'm sure you'll notice 🙂

Leafs_fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I guess that's better than not knowingSmiley Happy Thank you for your responses!

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Brucemartin2010 wrote:

Ressy:

I understand your point, but I don't agree that it's easier for Rogers to troubleshoot the new modem+router combo gateways than to troubleshoot the older stand-alone modems. Before, Rogers' responsibilities ended after the modem. Now they're responsible for managing the router too. (And doing an awful job of it, it seems.) So again -- what does Rogers gain from this that's worth the extra trouble to them? If not my (slightly paranoid) idea, then what?

Its actually less work for them, as Tech Support doesn't have to ask people to remove their router, and hook their system up straight to the modem.  Especially as most lie and say that there is no router currently hooked up, and often, its a bad router setting causing the problem, or router firmware is out of date.  Thats one of the few benefits of the combos: The ISP will keep your router firmware up to date..  There are known issues with a few Blizzard games, where if you're on outdated router firmware you can have connection issues due to a lot of packets going to the user all at once, and some modems with old firmware can't handle it, and the modem'll restart itself..  It can be interesting talking people through a firmware upgrade, even when you know what you're doing, so it's gonna be almost impossible for the Tech Support phone at Rogers to perform anything like that especially as they don't actually know anything about what they're talking someone through - I have experience with this. My ex worked for a company that provided Tech Support for a major ISP.  The stories I heard were terrifying.

But yeah.. Its all about making life easier on their Tier 1 phone who don't know anything about computers other than sticking to their scripts.

**edited for content**

Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

ACTUALY.. since way back, even before digital was fully out... most people dont realise this.  But you were SUPOSED to pay for the number of connections in your house.

Almost everyone didnt.. and there was no way to monitor it.

Agreed, if by "way back" you mean 5 or 6 years ago! From memory:

Me: Thanks for coming. I just moved in here and I find I'm not getting much of a signal.
Rogers Tech: How many TVs you want to hook up?
Me (counting): Um, five?
Rogers Tech: Okay, I'll just add a splitter here, and I'll replace all your other splitters with new ones while I'm here.
Me: Will that fix the signal?
Rogers Tech: When a customer has five or more TVs, we sometimes add a booster, so I'll go ahead and do that too.
I guess no one told the guys in the field.  😉
And I distinctly remember Rogers advertising that their cable was better than satellite because you could add as many TVs as you wanted without needing extra boxes.
Anyway, back on topic. 
If you're right about this move making it easier and cheaper all around to maintain customers' Internet connections, we should soon be seeing a drop in customer complaints, no? I'll put my paranoia on hold for a while, but I'm not holding my breath.
Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

@Ressy wrote:

The stories I heard were terrifying.

But yeah.. Its all about making life easier on their Tier 1 phone who don't know anything about computers other than sticking to their scripts.

Yeah, it certainly can't be fun to try and talk grandma though a router firmware update. But Rogers phone drones aren't doing anything like that today.

If there's even the slightest possibility that a problem lies with non-Rogers equipment, you're told to call the support line for that equipment instead. Or sign up for Rogers Tech Xperts for an added monthly fee:
Rogers Tech Xpert
If connection maintenance really does go more smoothly for Rogers when they own the router, I'll expect that to show up as a better customer experience too. Fingers crossed.
(By the way, if you're the same Ressy who took on the CRTC over WoW throttling -- thank you on behalf of all of us.)

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Brucemartin2010 wrote:

@Ressy wrote:

The stories I heard were terrifying.

Yeah, it certainly can't be fun to try and talk grandma though a router firmware update. But Rogers phone drones aren't doing anything like that today.

If there's even the slightest possibility that a problem lies with non-Rogers equipment, you're told to call the support line for that equipment instead. Or sign up for Rogers Tech Xperts for an added monthly fee:
Rogers Tech Xpert
If connection maintenance really does go more smoothly for Rogers when they own the router, I'll expect that to show up as a better customer experience too. Fingers crossed.
(By the way, if you're the same Ressy who took on the CRTC over WoW throttling -- thank you on behalf of all of us.)

😉

Might be after another ISP next. >.<

EddieDZ
I Plan to Stick Around

you can only have 1 internet modem per hi-speed account so in order to have two interent modems in the same house hold, you need two seperate accounts which means double the cost, no one is going to do that unless someone needs a personal internet service and then another seperate internet service for business purposes or something, so no internet modem is nothing like cable TV boxs.
Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

@EddieDZ wrote:
you can only have 1 internet modem per hi-speed account so in order to have two interent modems in the same house hold, you need two seperate accounts which means double the cost, no one is going to do that unless someone needs a personal internet service and then another seperate internet service for business purposes or something, so no internet modem is nothing like cable TV boxs.

Yes, but also unlike a cable box, your one modem can connect several devices (PCs, laptops, phones, printers etc.) to the Internet through a router. The question is: Once Rogers has control of your router, will they choose to limit those connections and charge you for extra devices, like they did for cable TV?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Could they? Yes, from a technical standpoint.

Would they? Close to zero chance.

Compared to TV, where yes there are some limitations.. NOW.. its just going along with how the rest of the industry has been for years.  (You have had to do this with satalite, etc tv since it came out).

If they changed their internet this way.. you would see 100% of the people droping because no one else does this, and there has never been talk of any of them ever doing it.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

If they changed their internet this way.. you would see 100% of the people droping because no one else does this, and there has never been talk of any of them ever doing it.

I hope you are right. It does however take me back a few years when no matter who you had Internet with, you had unlimited usage. Then, all of a sudden, Bell implemented usage caps. The response from Rogers at that time was that they had no plans to do the same. And of course we all know now what Rogers did. The moral of the story - it only takes one big company to do something and the rest follow suit! They recognize a cash cow when they see one!