Rogers to charge for each device connected to its network?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers to charge for each device connected to its network?

All this discussion about having to use new modem/router combos approved by Rogers has me wondering -- is Rogers going to do to their Internet what they've done with their cable TV?

Folks with Rogers cable TV have learned that Rogers will soon no longer support extra TVs added through splitters. Rogers will encrypt the signal and customers will have to have a Rogers box attached to every TV in their house. Customers will have to pay extra for boxes to connect more than one TV (if on a Basic Plan) or more than four TVs (on a VIP Plan).

Is Rogers planning to do something similar with their Internet too? Will they begin limiting the number of devices connecting to their modem/routers? Will they charge us extra for using Wifi in our own homes to connect our phones, laptops and printers?

I can't think of any other reason why Rogers would want control over our routers in addition to our modems.

What does everyone else think?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers to charge for each device connected to its network?

As for the TV part.. there is a reason behind it all.  They are getting rid of analog.  Analog cant carry an HD signal properly (well it can, but with alot less info).  You can also fit 4+ full digital channels in the bandwidth of 1 analog channel.  Cable companies are the only ones using any form of analog TV, and they are getting rid of it, to be able to provide us more in the future.

As for the boxes, yes, you will need a digital box for each tv.  But if you dont want to pay anything, you can get the free DTA's from rogers for those TVs, and get the same you were on analog.  Really doesnt cost you anything more.

But to the question at hand.  No, i dont likely see ever doing it to the internet. 
They in the end, only have control up to the device... and can only guarantee that working.. beyond that, its up to you to support.
The TV is actualy the same.. they can make sure the box works.. but if your cables or TV is broken and not taking the signal, its not up to rogers to support that part.

Internet is much the same way... if you have a modem only, in the end, all they have to support, is that its getting a signal and broadcasting.. if you have a router, or whatever else, its up to YOU to support it (this is why they often asked if your connected right into the modem and asked you to do so.. its not their job to support a router they didnt provide).  Now they are router support in some ways, for users with the gateway, as it IS their device.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Easier troubleshooting for customers who don't know what the **bleep** they're doing with their network, and easier troubleshooting for the equally clueless tier 1 tech support rep you're forced to speak to.

Pretty much anyone who knows what they're doing with their internal network will set the Rogers modem/router combo to Bridge mode (ie so it works as just a modem) - either by logging in themselves with the Rogers passwords (which you can find in many places), or call Rogers to set for you.  Then, its easy to just set up your own router to the modem, and Rogers can't touch your internal network..

The only problem with that though is that when Rogers pushes firmware updates, it does a reset of the combo modem/router, and it disables the bridge, and turns on the wifi without any password again.  The twits.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Ressy. What you are talking about has nothing to do with what the OP is saying, unless i am reading it wrong..
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I didn't answer whether or not Rogers would be charging for how many devices hook up to the combo device.  I don't think they'd do that - they'd get a huge backlash, but this is Rogers, so anything is really possible.

They also asked why Rogers would want control of a customer's Router, which I answered, with additional info.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As for the TV part.. there is a reason behind it all.  They are getting rid of analog.  Analog cant carry an HD signal properly (well it can, but with alot less info).  You can also fit 4+ full digital channels in the bandwidth of 1 analog channel.  Cable companies are the only ones using any form of analog TV, and they are getting rid of it, to be able to provide us more in the future.

As for the boxes, yes, you will need a digital box for each tv.  But if you dont want to pay anything, you can get the free DTA's from rogers for those TVs, and get the same you were on analog.  Really doesnt cost you anything more.

But to the question at hand.  No, i dont likely see ever doing it to the internet. 
They in the end, only have control up to the device... and can only guarantee that working.. beyond that, its up to you to support.
The TV is actualy the same.. they can make sure the box works.. but if your cables or TV is broken and not taking the signal, its not up to rogers to support that part.

Internet is much the same way... if you have a modem only, in the end, all they have to support, is that its getting a signal and broadcasting.. if you have a router, or whatever else, its up to YOU to support it (this is why they often asked if your connected right into the modem and asked you to do so.. its not their job to support a router they didnt provide).  Now they are router support in some ways, for users with the gateway, as it IS their device.

View solution in original post

Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

Ressy:

I understand your point, but I don't agree that it's easier for Rogers to troubleshoot the new modem+router combo gateways than to troubleshoot the older stand-alone modems. Before, Rogers' responsibilities ended after the modem. Now they're responsible for managing the router too. (And doing an awful job of it, it seems.) So again -- what does Rogers gain from this that's worth the extra trouble to them? If not my (slightly paranoid) idea, then what?

GDkitty:

Unless I'm misunderstanding how this works, a digital QAM-capable TV would show the basic digital channels just fine, but Rogers is locking them up by encrypting them and requiring you to use a Rogers box to view them. As you pointed out, the DTA-50 boxes are loaned to customers at no cost, so what does Rogers get from doing this? They get to knock many, many thousands of TVs, VCRs, DVD recorders and TV card-equipped PCs off their cable system. And the owners of those now-unsupported connections must pay the extra monthly fee to register them with Rogers, or learn to live without having that extra TV in the kitchen or guest bedroom.

Rogers makes its decisions for business reasons, not for technical reasons. (I guess that's the whole problem with the company, in a nutshell.)

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Bruce:

ACTUALY.. since way back, even before digital was fully out... most people dont realise this.  But you were SUPOSED to pay for the number of connections in your house.

Almost everyone didnt.. and there was no way to monitor it.

Yes.. they could allow QAM capable TVs to do it... but MANY of the users, who have VCRs, and older TVs where they have no digital box, dont have QAM tuners in them.

Yes, it does start making it seem like they are doing this, to push out all this other technology.. DVRs, etc.  But really, they are not, its just a byproduct.

Look at ANY other form of TV service (from years back, up to recent). You are primarily looking at Satalite, and now fibre.  What do you see?? Every tv in the house, that wants to watch its own channel, needs to have its own digital box/decoder.  THis isnt something new.  DVRs, vcrs, etc have been obsolete technologies with these forms of TV for years.

Has it been nice that we could do all this extra, for free for this long? Sure.  But in the end, other than TV cards in PCs, the other forms of devices are dieing off long before now, due to this movement.  Go try to find more than 1 VCR somewhere.  Even the DVR models, are 3+ years old often, no newer devices.

TV cards, DVRs, VCRs, etc are still usable.. they just cant be schedules and tuned in the same way as before. But to watch, they work perfectly fine, with a DTA.  Most higher packages than BASIC, incude you to allow 2-4 devices (either DTAs or digital boxes)

-----

anyways, back on topic.

while yes their work has added now that they need to support the BASIC setting on the router to help out (vs not having to before).  This does come down to a business decision i would think.

Average joe non technical user.. wants internet, doesnt want to fart around with setting stuff up, having to buy another router, etc... they just want to plug it in, and have it work.  Using the gateway, potentialy will attract more customers, since there is less hassle, so to speak.

Leafs_fan
I Plan to Stick Around

"The only problem with that though is that when Rogers pushes firmware updates, it does a reset of the combo modem/router, and it disables the bridge, and turns on the wifi without any password again."

Is this true? If so what is the best way to deal with this?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Leafs_fan wrote:

"The only problem with that though is that when Rogers pushes firmware updates, it does a reset of the combo modem/router, and it disables the bridge, and turns on the wifi without any password again."

Is this true? If so what is the best way to deal with this?

THis so far, has only been on the SMC gateway, not the cisco.

While you could do a hard reset of the device yourself, you have to remember what the default user/password is, etc.  If you have issues, calling in is the best, they can help reset and get you access again.

Leafs_fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Will I even notice if or when this may happen? Or is this something I will have to constantly monitor?