Rogers to Fido

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andruuu
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers to Fido

I currently do not have a contract with Rogers as I fully own my phone and I pay month to month for the services. I would like to know how to transfer from Rogers to Fido while retaining my current phone number. Seeing that Rogers is the parent company of Fido, how do I go about in doing this? Is there a fee to transfer from Rogers to Fido if you are currently NOT in a contract with Rogers? Will I be able to retain my current number after transferring?

Thanks. 

*Edited Labels*

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers to Fido

This is my understanding, and my daughter did it not too long ago.

Phone must be unlocked from Rogers.  If not, you can choose to unlock with Rogers - 50.00 - do it before going to FIDO.

Go to Fido and get a new no term plan of your choice, and a new SIM - there may be a cost for the card and activation, you would have to confirm with them.

Request that FIDO port your phone number from Rogers to Fido, and that also facilitates the cancellation of your Rogers service on that phone.  You will need to confirm that you have the authority to cancel a service on your Rogers and they will use your name and account number to contact Rogers to port number and cancel your Rogers service.

Note:  Be sure that you do not cancel before going to FIDO - you will most likely lose the number.  FIDO takes care of the port and the cancellation.

Good luck with it, it really is a straight forward process.

Bruce

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing just to add to BS's advice, Unlocking your phone is NOT a requirement of porting your number, its simply an OPTIONAL step to save money and avoid going on a contract if you already have a handset that still works and wish to continue using it.

You also have the option of signing up to your new carrier and getting a BRAND NEW subsidized handset for free or low cost and opting to go on a 2 year contract term (or tab or what ever they call it)

Some people actually prefer to go that route if their phone is old and failing or the battery does not last long any more or it got water damaged or cracked screen or physical damaged. Either way you have options, and the process to port from Rogers to Fido is pretty much also the same for Rogers to Other carriers, but with the exception not all phones from Rogers will operate on other carriers, such as Freedom Mobile (formerly Wind) so check the specs first, or try a site like GSM arena to confirm.

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/thread-id/8903

you *might* not have to unlock your current phone.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for adding the additional information - and yes, options, my other daughter went to a new phone when she switched, but not to FIDO.

And it seems that the unlock or not is a bit hit and miss - won't know until you do it.  And depending upon the plan, you may just want to forget the unlock, pass it to a Rogers customer you know, and then get a new phone.  Deals on older phones still in market, are actually getting pretty good (now if you want the newest fanciest), that is a different story.

Sort of like buying an ACER, or HP tablet/notbook 2 in 1 combination, versus the new iPads that look like a Surface, or a Surface Pro - looking at over 1000 for the high end, can get as low as 500 or even lower.  They do the same stuff, just work differently.

Good luck and people who make the switch, let us know the outcome if you have used this thread for support.

Bruce