cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Wow's getting deprioritized by Rogers (tracerts/pathpings are clean, all ports are open/forwarded, no p2p running on any machine for at least 30 minutes before attempting to run wow), resulting in increased latency and dc'ing in wow.

Assuming this issue has something to do with Rogers' change to their terms last month..

I also assume Rogers filters are picking wow up as p2p incorrectly (like many other ISPs did) after Blizzard changed their communication methods/packet structure so they can do a Repair on Demand feature where instead of the game crashing, wow just downloads & streams the file from the server to the user, and the user can keep playing without seeing anything wrong.

Attempting to call Tech Support results in 1 of 3 of the following:
1. "Its not our problem, its the game."  Its not.  Other users in Ontario play fine (I can play fine at home in Toronto, but I dc constantly at my sister's in Ottawa).
2. "We don't support gaming." Fine, update your website to show that you can't game on any of your packages from Rogers Lite and above.
3. "Sorry, I can't transfer you to a supervisor." Oh... REALLY???

Really getting tired of the runaround now.

So far this affects London, Waterloo, parts of Toronto, and parts of Ottawa.  There are multiple posts in the WoW Tech support forums regarding issues with Rogers & WoW.  Here's one which now recommends tunneling to avoid using Rogers hops to actually be able to play the game:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1568009046

Who can I talk to to get this fixed? 

Will it be fixed by Rogers, or will Rogers just update their site so that it says you can't game on it, so people will KNOW that Rogers is poor for gaming (I was already suspecting that, as I can't play & host CoD:Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 without massive latency, without ANYTHING else running - its random who hosts a game, its not like I'm deliberately hosting or anything.)

Is this even fixable, or should I as a regular Tech Support poster on the wow forums start recommending to other WoW users using Rogers to switch to an ISP that actually will listen to its users?

Thoughts? Comments? Anything?

***edited labels***

578 REPLIES 578

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft; it the Wild West all over again

Breadwinka
I Plan to Stick Around
Ya some people in more congested areas were effected. I for one was one of the lucky ones and didnt really notice the issues. For awhile i had speed issues but that was fixed when i got a seperate router and just bridged the modem.

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft; it the Wild West all over again

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

Woot!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/02/03/tech-rogers-throttling.html

Rogers is finally promising to stop the throttling.  So for the people saying they never noticed and weren't affected, consider yourself one of the lucky few.  Lots of people were affected.  Enough so, that the CRTC with help of Cisco, found Rogers to be  violating federal net neutrality rules by deliberately slowing or throttling time-sensitive internet traffic, specifically online games.

This is / was a very real issue.

Oh i dont argue the fact that is IS a real issue, and is something they SHOULDNT be doing.

Im a VERY heavy internet user..

Some P2P, not alot, heavy wow usage, large file transfer between here and work... and was not effected.

just currious WHAT users that were effected, their internet usage patterns were like, that would trip it.

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

Annnnnnnnd all the throttling symptoms are back again tonight /sigh

As per the article, they will start removing the throttling as of march first..so you might find it still efecting you now.

That being said.. even after the throttling is removed, you still might find it a problem if you are in a congested area where your internet speed is slow period. (which is another problem alltogether :P)

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

ccrashh
I'm an Enthusiast
@Ressy: Exactly what I did. Switched to TekSavvy. $63/month, unlimited bandwidth, 24 Mbps. What's not to love about that...oh...and no throttling - as far as I can tell.

kiiwi
I've Been Here Awhile

As much as I hate "same here" posts, it's started again with my service as well, noticable only during my heavy usage to me (Monday and Tuesday, 7-11), but more so to my wife who uses the net regularly. 
Has been happening for close to a week, and after we've gone so long without throttling too. Makes me happy that the problem is indeed not on our end though, was starting to blame myself for 'over-using' the internet.

Has anyone else found that's it's more a time problem, and not a usage problem? Namely that throttling symptoms REALLY show after a specific time? For me it's been 9:30, like clockwork, every night. Starting as of last Monday. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Kiiwi, that may not as much be trottling your experiencing.. as more bottlenecking.

If you are in a congested area, where the local nodes potentialy cant handle it, if you are doing stuff at certian times, when there are alot of other users in the area on as well, it could be bottlenecking and slowing everyone down.

That i know if, the throttling has never been time specific, for those affected.

kiiwi
I've Been Here Awhile

Appreciate the clarification GD. 🙂

Either way, I think it's about time Rogers got their **bleep** together.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, alot of the bottlenecking, etc.. has to deal with the infrastructure... its OLD.. and just cant handle the load anymore.  They are working to replace it.. but it costs ALOT of money to do... so its a slow process.

My friend, while hes on Techsavy... they run off rogers infrastructure, out in waterloo.  He was down for a day, as they were uprading parts of the nodes of the infrastructure there.  Sucks he was down, but he did notices MUCH less time of day slowdowns afterwards.

Hi kiiwi,

I've sent you a PM so we can help investigate this further for you. Please see check your inbox for my message.

Thanks,

Rogers_Kate

Zedonius666
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers just started throttling me again as well in Diablo 3. Pretty obvious too.  So lame.