cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Wow's getting deprioritized by Rogers (tracerts/pathpings are clean, all ports are open/forwarded, no p2p running on any machine for at least 30 minutes before attempting to run wow), resulting in increased latency and dc'ing in wow.

Assuming this issue has something to do with Rogers' change to their terms last month..

I also assume Rogers filters are picking wow up as p2p incorrectly (like many other ISPs did) after Blizzard changed their communication methods/packet structure so they can do a Repair on Demand feature where instead of the game crashing, wow just downloads & streams the file from the server to the user, and the user can keep playing without seeing anything wrong.

Attempting to call Tech Support results in 1 of 3 of the following:
1. "Its not our problem, its the game."  Its not.  Other users in Ontario play fine (I can play fine at home in Toronto, but I dc constantly at my sister's in Ottawa).
2. "We don't support gaming." Fine, update your website to show that you can't game on any of your packages from Rogers Lite and above.
3. "Sorry, I can't transfer you to a supervisor." Oh... REALLY???

Really getting tired of the runaround now.

So far this affects London, Waterloo, parts of Toronto, and parts of Ottawa.  There are multiple posts in the WoW Tech support forums regarding issues with Rogers & WoW.  Here's one which now recommends tunneling to avoid using Rogers hops to actually be able to play the game:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1568009046

Who can I talk to to get this fixed? 

Will it be fixed by Rogers, or will Rogers just update their site so that it says you can't game on it, so people will KNOW that Rogers is poor for gaming (I was already suspecting that, as I can't play & host CoD:Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 without massive latency, without ANYTHING else running - its random who hosts a game, its not like I'm deliberately hosting or anything.)

Is this even fixable, or should I as a regular Tech Support poster on the wow forums start recommending to other WoW users using Rogers to switch to an ISP that actually will listen to its users?

Thoughts? Comments? Anything?

***edited labels***

578 REPLIES 578

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Kiraa4
I've Been Here Awhile
Truly pathetic service. I could understand the need to throttle P2P apps to some extent but the game's bandwidth consumption is so minimal.

chocobomog
I've Been Here Awhile

This should get fixed, can't play at all, happening for the past few days, should stop throttling. Wow's got a built in p2p client for patchs as well, but i've got it turned off but still lagging & getting disconnected.

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

DC'ing LIKE crazy tonight!  Not even playable.  This is ridiculous.

Adam1234
I've Been Around

ok, I'm really angry about this. I paid the extreme package mainly for world of warcraft, and now I can't play anymore. I don't know how many wow players in Canada using Rogers. Is the number too small to care? Anyway, if Rogers can't fix this in a week ,I will switch to teksavvy and never come back.

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm in the exact same boat as you.  Paying $1200+ a year to have the best connection possible for myself and my girlfriend to play World of Warcraft, but the last two weeks we have not been able to play and have ruined our friends game experience while trying to via constant dc's etc.

I have talked to tech agents 3 times this week alone.  They acknowledge the problem but say they can not do anything and that Rogers does not support online games.

The tech last night said I should call and ask for a manager, so today I will do that and unless they can tell me exactly how and when this is going to be fixed I'll be cancelling tonight and get Teksavy as well.  I hesitate in the past on Tek Savvy, because they use Rogers backbone and was concerned the problem would spill over to their customers as well.  Everyone here says their experience has been great though.

I just don't understand why this is such a hard thing to fix.  Wow uses persistant static server IP's they publish over specific published ports.  Why can they just not white list those ip's over those ports????  That is too much of a challenge for the likes of Rogers?  My guess is that they don't want to start down that road, as their throttling affects MANY games, and they do not want to have to manually add to the whitelist every time a new game launches.  Difference here is, WoW is the largest game ever.  As I have said before, so sad that 11 million + subscribers can play it perfectly fine but Canadians now can not because of Rogers greed.

To those coming here because this only just started happening... don't think it will go away.  It won't.  Some have been affected for over 6 months.  Once it begins in your area, it seems (granted I am getting this simply from talking from friends and the posts in here), it persists from then on.

Teksavvy, has a bundle that has NO CAPS, 15Mbps down, 1Mbps up for 60% of what I pay now with the Ultimate Plan (LMAO at the name Ultimate when it can't handle online games or legit P2P, that should be enough for CRTC to look into alone, lol, good ol' bait and switch).

Kiraa4
I've Been Here Awhile

Still having problems in WoW. Can we at least get some sort of response from a forum representative?

Kiraa4
I've Been Here Awhile

just as an FYI... just called Rogers to cancel my service. They claim the issue has been resolved in most areas, but can't verify which areas are yet to be patched and have no ETA on when this will happen.

Completely unacceptable that talking to a number of people there, not only do they not even bother to assist you, but actually have the audacity to say no other Rogers customers are having issues.

COMPLETE CRAP... ridiculous...

Caboose
I Plan to Stick Around

Yet another day goes by where I can barely do anything without lagging/dcing like crazy.

This problem has been going on for what, 7 or 8 months now? Rogers has got to have the worst customer service in the world. Isn't it obvious from all the complaints that your "fix" obviously has NOT fixed the problem? Get off your asses and do something about it.

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

I encourage everyone to write an email to the CRTC, and to your MP regarding this issue.  We pay for a certain level of service, that Rogers takes  the money for and then turns up and down the quality of that service as they see fit.  That is not right.  It's a bait and switch.  ie.  Pay $1200+ a year on "Ultimate" service for up to 50Mbps for things like video, data, gaming.... BUT at any time I will grind your speed to almost nothing

Does that seem morally right to anyone?  Would other businesses that sold items rather than services be allowed to continue this??  I don't think so

wesg79
I've Been Here Awhile

well after coming back to wow and i see this still isnt fixed..put my call into techsavvy tonight, if they can provide me with dry loop service Rogers is a gonner..ive had it with their deflecting reposonses and **bleep** poor customer support.

25mb service, the only place i see it is speedtest.net

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Can confirm this is still an issue here in Trenton on Rogers rocket hub..latency 230ms Home/ 1810ms world...

Neighbour also reporting DC's and unplayable...

Nice fix rogers!!

Disconnecting Constantly

lazydude1
I've Been Around

Ok, this beyond like crap. I have been getting constant disconnects during Thrusday and today. All late at night. Thrusday happened at exactly 12AM. Today, it happened at 1:30AM. Whatever is going on Rogers you better fix this. I am not the only one also having this dumb problem. My friend I am on Skype with constantly also gets this problem at the exact same time. Then there are others on Skype with me also getting the same problem.

The thing is what is weird is that when this "disconnect" happens Skype works PERFECTLY FINE. Skype seems to be untouched AT ALL by this disconnecting crap. Skype some how just lives through it magically, while IE, Firefox, Chrome, Online games, MSN etc all completely fail after the disconnect. It disconnects and unable to have access to anything for about 15 - 30mins. My Internet even says it's connected.

Rogers please find a way out of this. I am no enjoying my gaming time and surfing time right now. Of course if someone else knows a fix please let me know, thank you.

Re: Disconnecting Constantly

Interesting! I'm having exactly the same problem and had it last weekend when we were away too. Skype also worked fine for me but nothing else.

Fayth18
I've Been Around
I had the exact same problem tonight and on Thursday. Kind of annoying. It actually just happened again now for a moment. I thought it might be a DNS issue and tried and alternate DNS but that didn't fix the problem I just had moments ago.

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure the policy Rogers has on this so use at your own risk... but as they kept saying there was no problem and the problem had been fixed, yet clearly it had not be resolved, I tried a free trial of a wow SSH tunnel and instantly the latency and disconnecting stopped.

wowtunnels.com

Trial is limited and kills the connection after 30 minutes but its more than enough time to test it.  Only tunnels wow, so the rest of your traffic is handled as normal.  (NOTE:  do not check the firewall mode.  If you do it will tunnel the authentication and WoW will think your account may be hacked - just leave that unchecked unless you have problems.  I had none.  Worked flawlessly)

Price is around $12 for 3 months.  $4 a month to have a rock solid connection is totally worth it imo.

I'm pretty pissed off I have to pay for another service on top of Rogers monthly price, but I am glad the game can stay connected now, completely lag free, rather than disconnecting every 2 mins with unenjoyable latency in between.

This also proves to me 1 of 2 things.  Either Rogers fix did not work at all and it still false positives Wow, and throttles it down to unusable levels.  Or there are bad hops between the realm server and your local Rogers node.  I had sent some traceroutes to the Rogers tech (the guy I got this weekend was the first nice one that actually looked a little into this for me instead of the usual dismissal crap - so Kudo's to James of On-Line Live support), and it showed bad hops at some AT&T nodes.  I looked on the wow forums and it seems a lot of people have had bad hops with IP's beginning with "12" which belong to AT&T, and there was a Blue response, so search their forums for more on that.  Whether or not those hops are bad because Rogers traffic shaping has dropped enough packets that the AT&T servers need to send a ton of resend requests... who knows.

Bottom line, a SSH tunnel instantly fixed the issue, so Rogers has not fixed the problem at all.  They are taking peoples money for a level of service they never really deliver.

Write the CRTC and your MP's.

@emcdonald:

instead of tracert, I suggest using WinMTR, which does the following, as per Wikipedia:

MTR probes routers on the route path by limiting the number of hops individual packets may traverse, and listening to responses of their expiry. It will regularly repeat this process, usually once per second, and keep track of the response times of the hops along the path.

The information provided by WinMTR is quite interesting and informative on the quality and nature of a given total Internet connection between you and the selected IP address end point.  As well it updates the information once a second, so you get a real-time picture of the total link.

Download it for free from here:

http://winmtr.net/

skinorth

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Theres a major issue with Rogers's peering partner again.  Their 10 gig link in New York is congested, and is dropping packets and causing increased latency.  This is probably the cause of your problems.

However, the real problem is getting Rogers Technical Support to escalate it to glbx, as several people have called in but Rogers reps have refused to escalate it so it can be fixed.

If you do a tracert, or run a 3d trace, the IP address is:

Its affecting Rogers customers across Canada.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973023365?page=1

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

@Ressy

I discussed that with a tech on the weekend.  They refused to put me through to a tier 2 rep, and said that because their partner was in the States there was nothing they could do.

So I called glbx directly myself and spoke with their tech's.  They said they would look into it, but felt like they just wanted me to go away.

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

I posted a tracert yesterday to a wow server, and just another a few minutes ago.. in this thread http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3736

and noticed that Rogers seems to be using TaTa communications to access the Rest of the net. (hop 12 of my tracert).. No ATT servers in sight.. 

so maybe Rogers has dropped its partner? Still no excuse for not recognizing a problem and addressing it in a timely fashion!

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

@xplornetsucks

On your first post

hops 14,15,16,17 are all AT&T servers.

hop 12 is glbx that Ressy and I were talking about.

On your second post

hop 18,19,20,21,22 are all AT&T servers

but you are correct that glbx is not in that second traceroute and so maybe they switched their crossing partner.

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast
Agreed, but Still doesn't explain the latency of Rogers server Hops prior to HOP 12... just goes to show the congestion/traffic mismanagement Rogers is experiencing? No??