Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Interesting.  Seems my 2nd CRTC complaint was accepted.

March 22nd to respond.

Come visit me in IRC if you'd like to read it.

Maiel
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm also situated in Barrie, Ontario and I am having the same problem. I've had my router replaced, spoken to respresentitives of Blizzard and gone through all of the steps to make sure that it isn't my connected. I've sent trace routes and dxdiag's but everything is still the same.

rdogs
I've Been Around

Wow...  thanks for posting this message guys.  I was just researching Rogers as I was looking to move to move from Bell to gain more speed coming down (currently I have 6 Mb / sec down, the highest Bell offers in the area).  I was looking at Rogers 25 Mb down package.  I am really just looking for more speed for my VPN into work, but I am also WoW player/raider.  Have been raiding since vanilla. 

While I'd like more speed for my work vpn connection, there is no way I'm risking my wow connection.  😛  I'll keep watching this thread as well... until Rogers fixes wow, I'll stick with Bell.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Can we get an update please? Even if its a "I have no update, we're still here."
RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Ressy

Thanks again for your patience.

I have no update but I can assure you I'm still looking into this issue.

Smiley Happy

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersErin

This DPI issue is now working full force on Rift and WoW.

Rift requires TCP ports 6520 through 6540.

BTW, You can thank us for our patience, but I don't have any anymore. 🙂

Joelo246
I've Been Here Awhile

I just want to post in solidarity with the many players complaining here.

Rogers current practice is incredibly infuriating and I hope they understand that the longer they refuse to acknowledge this as an issue on their end, the more disgruntled customers they will create who will in turn cause them to lose customers and give them a bad reputation.

The frustrating thing for me after watching this thread for weeks and blizzards forums on the same topic, is that I paid $60 for Starcraft 2 once, and they have millions of players world wide on their games, yet their customer support has been available and responsive at every turn. Yet here I am, paying nearly $150 a month for rogers and happily paying a fortune for extra downloads, yet their staff can't even admit they have an aggressive throttling system that not only shouldn't be throttling downloads in the first place, but is making it so customers cant use completely legitimate services like battlenet.

Come on. 

I'm a diplomatic person. I fundamentally believe that most people are good and want to help, and I have no doubt there are many people on rogers staff who would like to give us answers and help us out, but it seems like the reality is that the people most distant from the front lines of customer service are the ones making the decisions here, and they see extra profitability in throttling downloads as more important than addressing customer issues. Until they wake up and take this issue seriously, the number of angry people dropping rogers will steadily increase.

And this is the problem when a company has a stranglehold on a market. There aren't enough legitimate competitors for many of us to pose a legitimate threat to their revenue. And in turn the company decides it's ok to not treat people's problems with respect. That is what makes me angriest - the fact that so many people have identified the exact issue over and over, with evidence coming from rogers customers throughout Ontario, yet Rogers staff cannot pay its customers enough respect to even show up and give us a legitimate, honest response.

So to all the customer service reps with Rogers, please understand, this is nothing personal, and I understand most of you probably do not have the power to push a fix through on this issue if the managers do not want to listen, but you have to understand that it's incredible frustrating to be doing time sensitive things online and to be randomly booted over and over. Imagine you get home from work and just want to relax and play a game for a couple hours. What rogers is doing is the equivalent of someone flipping your chess board over and spilling all the pieces randomly every time you try to play. We pay a lot of money for our internet and one of the internet's primary functions is to be a source of recreational entertainment. I think it's pretty reasonable for customers to be angry about paying a lot of money for a service and having the service provider actively disrupt one of the primary things you use that service for. So if you're reading this as a staff, please pass on the problem to your managers and higher ups and let them know this is a legitimate widespread problem that is making a lot of customers angry and needs to be addressed with more urgency by Rogers staff if they want customers to believe they are concerned with providing a quality service.

subl
I've Been Here Awhile

It is currently 8:50 AM on a Saturday morning and I don't even have a ping to complain about. I get past the World of Warcraft login screen into the game only to watch everybody run in place until I get disconnected while my latency reads 0ms. Every other game and network application I have access to works fine. This "thottling" practically turns into port blocking when it is in a bad mood.

Once again, tracert to the server comes back clean, this is because the packet inspector doesn't confuse ICMP packets with torrenting (good job!)

@Joelo246 wrote:

Rogers current practice is incredibly infuriating and I hope they understand that the longer they refuse to acknowledge this as an issue on their end, the more disgruntled customers they will create who will in turn cause them to lose customers and give them a bad reputation.

^ This. Believe me, every single one of my friends and coworkers know exactly how I feel about Rogers as an ISP at this point.

Danthepianist
I've Been Here Awhile

Still nothing, eh. This is really getting old. Hopefully Ressie's letter does something.

Friedchicken
I Plan to Stick Around

I am in Toronto and am experiencing the exact same issue reported here. Latency is fine via ICMP, the throttling is causing huge spikes randomly in game.

This has been going on long enough that obviously Rogers no longer values their customer base. They're not going to revert their throttling changes because of their focus on P2P traffic. Thusly, it is time to move to another ISP. I will be breaking my contract and I will NOT be paying a penalty.