Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dr_Hellno
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Well, I've looked into it, and among the 40 or so ISPs that service my neighbourhood, there's not a single viable contender that would let me bypass this nefarious throttling. My options, such as they are:

1) Stick with rogers, or move to Bell. Same devil, different name. I hate it, but for now, this is my only real choice.

2) Move to a reseller of Rogers or Bell services. What would be the point? Won't excape throttling or UBB there either, not for long anyway

3) Get a VPN, but a) I don't really know how b) I heard it costs more money and c) I heard that comes with connectivity problems of its own.

4) Sign up with an Allstream provider: the 4th ISP you never hear much about, and the reason for that is they only serve businesses. Maybe I could pretend to be a small business?

5) Pay EXORBITANT money for a wireless broadband connection. We're talking 200-500$ a month simply for burst speeds of 1-3Mbps down, and about 1Mbps up. Not to mention the setup costs, and wrangling my landlord into letting me put up a 7 foot tower in the backyard or on the roof.

Like I said before, the only way for a Canadian to get a decent internet connection is to leave Canada. Or maybe move to quebec, but same thing right? 😉

Is the internet that important to me? I'm not entirely sure. But at this point it's gone past a simple logical calculation of my incentives. I've become motivatted by a venomous emotional response to this company. May their holdings be liquidated; may their balance sheets run red with ink. May they be torn to fractured pieces by a black cloud of descending creditors, and may they starve themselves of income by alienating their customers. May they be scattered to the winds and forgotten.

Friedchicken
I Plan to Stick Around

3 Web or Techsaavy for example, do not filter the traffic, they lease the lines but the traffic is not inspected by Rogers/Bell etc.

Dr_Hellno
I'm Here A Lot

I could be mistaken, but my perusing of various forums suggests otherwise. Right now I'm looking at a thread on DSLReports entitled "ISPs Throttling WoW After New Patch" where a Teksavvy representative named James posts, and I quote:

"we do not throttle our customers at all, but the people that we wholesale the lines from (Bell) throttle anything that appears to be P2P."

So no, Teksavvy doesn't filter the traffic, but eventually that traffic does reach Bell, and they most certainly do throtttle it there.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Clarification:

Teksavvy wholesales both Bell (DSL) and Rogers (Cable).

Bell throttles P2P, and does enforce their own throttles on their wholesellers (Teksavvy DSL).  However for an additional $4/month, and being able to follow some steps, you can remove the throttle completely, via MLPPP.

Rogers does throttle P2P, but doesn't enforce their own throttles on Teksavvy Cable.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

@Dr_Hellno

TekSavvy's DSL lines are, in fact, subjected to Bell's ITMP (throttling). However, TekSavvy's cable lines are not throttled.

If you can get TekSavvy cable in your area, then by all means, I recommend getting it.

Rogers alone is implicated in this throttling issue. Switching to Bell, although the worst option, would at least get you away from the disconnection issues. You would still be throttled, but you wouldn't get disconnections.

TekSavvy DSL with MLPPP is also an option to get around throttling.

This post, though, will get edited all to hell. I'd get what you can from it before Monday when it gets moderated.

@RogersAnyone

So, when is the ACTUAL fix going to go through. Y'know, the one that you had but claim Blizzard is to blame for it not working (LOL!). You guys are worthless.

I can't wait for TekSavvy Cable in my area. I'll be switching ASAP to get the last of the Rogers cash-grabbing-monkey off my back.

druiz
I've Been Here Awhile

This latency issue has been horrible, even worse this past week.  Trying to raid with these issues has been such a pain.  I'm giving this a little more time, maybe about a month and then I'm just gonna move to tekksavy even if they get throttled because of rogers. If my gaming time is gonna get screwed I might as well also pay less than I do for more.

Also, don't know if anyone else has this problem, when doing a trace, the hop that goes to my modem (either from my computer to the modem or from my router to my modem depending if I am connecting through my router) gets a request timeout and if that is normal. the rest of the trace goes fine but its always that one to the modem that requests timeout.

Friedchicken
I Plan to Stick Around

Thats your modem and its normal

jhawk
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm just coming in to add my name to the list.  My problem doesn't involve either Starcraft or WoW but my problem involves my PS3, Modern Warfare 2 and an Asus router.  My disconnecting problems started probably a month or so after I started playing online and I hope a solution from Rogers is forthcoming.  I understand the concern about P2P but for a company that touts itself as Canada's best network I find the results disappointing.  

All your commercials etc show multiple people in multiple rooms doing multiple things online.  I'm assuming by their smiles that they aren't all staring at a frozen computer and lagging games so I hope that you begin to live up to the reputation that you state you have instead of upsetting alot of online users who can/will eventually revolt and demand change or go elsewhere.  

This thread is already 17 pages and the results thus far are extremely disappointing.  

Your quick reponse to customers paying alot of money will hopefully be forthcoming quickly.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

"Your quick reponse to customers paying alot of money will hopefully be forthcoming quickly."

@jhawk

It's taken 2 months to get to the point of them finally admiting that it's their fault that this is going on, since this started happening to me. This has been an issue that actually started back in November. Don't expect Rogers to do anything "quickly".

I believe the CRTC notice is what finally triggered them to finally get off their butts.

@RogersAnyone

Issue is still on-going. No end in sight. Thanks for nothing.

jhawk
I Plan to Stick Around

@KingNerd. I was being cautiously optimistic.