cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Wow's getting deprioritized by Rogers (tracerts/pathpings are clean, all ports are open/forwarded, no p2p running on any machine for at least 30 minutes before attempting to run wow), resulting in increased latency and dc'ing in wow.

Assuming this issue has something to do with Rogers' change to their terms last month..

I also assume Rogers filters are picking wow up as p2p incorrectly (like many other ISPs did) after Blizzard changed their communication methods/packet structure so they can do a Repair on Demand feature where instead of the game crashing, wow just downloads & streams the file from the server to the user, and the user can keep playing without seeing anything wrong.

Attempting to call Tech Support results in 1 of 3 of the following:
1. "Its not our problem, its the game."  Its not.  Other users in Ontario play fine (I can play fine at home in Toronto, but I dc constantly at my sister's in Ottawa).
2. "We don't support gaming." Fine, update your website to show that you can't game on any of your packages from Rogers Lite and above.
3. "Sorry, I can't transfer you to a supervisor." Oh... REALLY???

Really getting tired of the runaround now.

So far this affects London, Waterloo, parts of Toronto, and parts of Ottawa.  There are multiple posts in the WoW Tech support forums regarding issues with Rogers & WoW.  Here's one which now recommends tunneling to avoid using Rogers hops to actually be able to play the game:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1568009046

Who can I talk to to get this fixed? 

Will it be fixed by Rogers, or will Rogers just update their site so that it says you can't game on it, so people will KNOW that Rogers is poor for gaming (I was already suspecting that, as I can't play & host CoD:Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 without massive latency, without ANYTHING else running - its random who hosts a game, its not like I'm deliberately hosting or anything.)

Is this even fixable, or should I as a regular Tech Support poster on the wow forums start recommending to other WoW users using Rogers to switch to an ISP that actually will listen to its users?

Thoughts? Comments? Anything?

***edited labels***

578 REPLIES 578

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

kristie
I've Been Here Awhile
Think il be following this topic to see if they say anything. My latency is crud in WOW too and no one else in the appartment is downloading or torrenting. Seems to come in random spurts and I am pretty sure no one is leeching my protected internet. Funny I know so many people who have so many problems with rogers internet and rogers always says the same thing "it's not our problem"
well when everyone has the same thing happening I wonder who's problem it could be. =/

NickSki
I've Been Here Awhile

Absoultly worst service ive have ever expericneced with Rogers, over the past years. Switching to Bell is sounding better every time i log on to WoW and not even being able to play for 30 seconds with out a disconnect.

Lorienna
I've Been Around

While I'm not entirely sure that this is causing the massive DC issues within the WoW community, I would also like to say that whatever company you're paying to run tech support over your chat line is absolutely terrible.

I tried opening a ticket yesterday and the man refused to acnowledge there was any problem, let alone open a ticket and have someone look into it.

Oh and Nickski, you don't want to do that, trust me. Bell's worse. I came to Rogers FROM Bell.  

kristie
I've Been Here Awhile

Bell aliant is getting fibre-op in most places anyways.  So it's not like rogers can even offer the fastest.

NickSki
I've Been Here Awhile

Bump?

RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

A post I made two months ago about this very same issue:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24822306-Extreme-Plus-Utorrent-Settings-and-Rogers

Obviously the Rogers network is functioning correctly, so any problems the users experience are located elsewhere on the internet.

Oh, wait. Keith McArthur, a PR guy for Rogers had this to say: ""The investigation is still ongoing but here's what I've been able to find out. Rogers recently made some upgrades to our network management systems that had the unintended effect of shaping non-p2p file sharing traffic under a specific combination of conditions. We will be rolling back this upgrade until we can resolve these issues, but the rollback will take a few days. Meantime, we're continuing to look into some of the other issues that have been raised."

Weird, right? How a PR guy knows about problems on the network but the agents you speak to when you call/chat with have NO clue anything is wrong.

I've called in a number of times to try and get this resolved. Some responses I've gotten are:

"The tracert indicates the problems are not happening on the Rogers network and so Rogers cannot correct the issues".

Alright, I get that. Not entirely accurate as it does kind of show you know nothing about how the internet works, but understandable that you don't want to help out because you clearly have no idea what's going on.

And then today, I showed a Rogers tech a tracert where the first hop timed out. His response was: "What would you like us to do? I can submit a ticket but nothing will be done."

So basically, from speaking to just two agents, my understanding of how much Rogers cares for their customers is "Too bad, so sad."

Must be my router, right?

A member from DSLReports.com has gone to the CRTC about this issue, which is hopefully why Rogers changed their network policy within the past month. Other members have also received word from Rogers representatives that "zero people have reported this as an issue", which is likely why it isn't being dealt with in a timely manner (Over three full months to get a second "response" from Rogers, in the form of a network policy update).

Jan01
I Plan to Stick Around

funny thing. I left rogers for bell (internet) and I have no problems whatsoever with Wow! Rogers back in the day, when Wow first came out was amazing! Sadly traffic shaping shot it to hell.

druiz
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in the same boat here in Scarborough, been getting horrible lag for a while now and really wish that Rogers would fix this

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@Ressy @RandomZero

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out; I'm investigating this for you and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Ressy

Thank you for looking into this issue for us.  Its very much appreciated. 🙂

This issue also affects Starcraft 2 users, which isn't surprising as they're in the same locations as WoW.  Apparently the Starcraft 2 forums also have its own Rogers thread for users experiencing issues.

Please be sure you have the following ports listed in your system as being in-use by Blizzard (they use both TCP & UDP for these ports):

1119, 1120, 3724, 4000, 6112-6119

Those are the ports just to play WoW, Starcraft, Starcraft2, Diablo and Diablo 2 - they don't include any of the ports required for downloading the patches.

I suspect you may only have 1119 & 3724 whitelisted in the areas which are experiencing difficulties playing.

RogersErin

@Ressy @RandomZero

No problem, happy to help.

Please send me your full name and home address in a PM (private message) or to forumsupport@rci.rogers.com.

Thanks

Kaopod
I've Been Here Awhile

Any update on Rogers resolving this latency issue? It's been horrible and happened at random time of day or night.

It's midnight and I was on WoW fine for the past two hours then all of a sudden everything just stops and now I can no longer connect to the game.

There is an issue here obviously and I wish Rogers would own up to it, we are paying Rogers a lot of money for our fastest speed internet with you here.

Someone mentioned ISP, can you recommend a reliable company please I am quite fed up and have put up with this latency problem for months with no hope of this problem being resolved. I am at the point that if someone can suggest a good ISP, I will seriously consider switching.

Thanks.

RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

In Canada, the only ISP that doesn't employ throttling is Teksavvy. But that's only because Rogers hasn't started enforcing traffic throttling rules on 3rd party resellers like Bell has, but that's rumored to be changing sometime this year.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

It's getting out of hand.

Yesterday, I only disconnected maybe 5 - 10 times.

I do that every hour today.

It's really weird though. I can see Guild and Trade chat continue, but everything around my character stops moving until I get a full on disconnect, or vice versa. I'll have the chats stop working, but I can keep interacting with the surroundings.

No one other than Rogers users seem to be effected by this.

"Rogers does throttle P2P transfers using the BitTorrent protocols through the use of Cisco pCube Service Engines. It does this by dropping occasional packets. This causes the TCP/IP stacks of the sender and receiver to significantly slow down transfers."

It smells exactly like packets are getting dropped.

Ressy

@RogersErin

Remember, I'm not having issues at my home, so my address probably won't help you much.

However, what may help is my contact at Blizzard's email address.  He conferences with ISPs and works out connectivity issues when it comes to Blizzard products.  I will forward you his email address.

Please get a tech in contact with him immediately as this is just stupid that the problem's lasted this long already without Rogers doing anything about it because they don't have competent tech support agents who'll escalate valid issues, and stick to company policy "Nothing's wrong, its the game."

Ressy

@KingNerd

Thats because wow has chat, and gameplay running on separate ports.

Rogers is packet shaping/throttling required ports for Blizzard products.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

I did notice over the course of the entire day yesterday that World of Warcraft was getting "shaped" more often during peak hours (Saturday Noon) than it was during off-peak hours (Saturday Midnight). I was still getting disconnects at both times, the difference was that at noon I was getting disconnected every 30 seconds or so, and at midnight it was closer to 45 minutes to an hour.

I just hope these reports aren't falling on deaf ears and something actually gets done. I've unfortunately have had nothing but bad experiences with my Rogers account since just after they dropped "@Home".

halldorr
I Plan to Stick Around

Ran into this very late last night and my entire Sunday until around 4pm. Am out in Cambridge with Rogers. It seems to have been ok from 4 up until now but will follow the thread because it was very frustrating.

Pisidan
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya im having the same problems and same issues but didnt start till tonight and almost impossible to play..im so fed up wiht rogers service in the last year i have had nothign but connection problems and refunds whihc confirms theres problem yet its always something for once i would like to have what i pay for.

I pay for internet and pay for wow yet seems im getting neither of them..so dam fustrating PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM..i might as well just cancl all my services because im not getting them anyways why pay for nothing!

RogersErin

@Ressy

Thanks, I'm just looking to help out as best as I can.

In terms of getting assistance on a patch, I'll need the location from which you're playing via a PM.

Cheers