Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

"The new rules have changed the way many Canadian ISPs tackle traffic management, with Bell announcing last December they'd be backing off throttling completely. However Rogers not only continues to throttle legitimate applications, they continue to insist they're in total compliance with CRTC rules  -- despite that clearly and repeatedly not being true."

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Canadian-Network-Neutrality-Complains-Rise-Sharply-117870

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

CRTC Enforcements Division finds Rogers guilty

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/lt120120.htm

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

You all know the benefits to rogers and bell for stopping the throttling.. it is called USAGE CAPS.. they don't care any more what you download, because they have such low usage caps they in fact are encouraging piracy and KNOW that you will go over on your monthly usage and thus pay a PREMIUM.

Wow has been stable for me anyways for the past few months... but the year leading up to this it was horrible...funny how rogers and bell can offer STREAMING TV/movies over the internet but throttled a game that used only 250MB bandwidth a MONTH.. compared to the 750mb 1.3gb an HOUR average movie..
skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft; it the Wild West all over again

@IHR:

I wouldn't rejoice just yet.

Rogers has in the past shown an incredibly tenacious ability to be combative in the face of both public opinion and regulatory/legal challenges.  As I remember, there have been past occasions where, for example, Bell Canada just rolled over and accepted the inevitable, paid some fine and then went on its way.  Unlike Bell, Rogers has not accepted that it was obviously in the wrong, and is today still  fighting that battle in the courts.

It seems to me that Rogers just does not want to be a good Canadian corporate citizen, let alone serve its customer base in a reasonable, responsible and legally legitimate way.  I believe Rogers will attempt to push the envelope further and further, up to and beyond the bounds of reasonableness and legality.

skinorth

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft; it the Wild West all over again

I am actually not rejoicing at all. Just providing a little information. I know very well what Rogers is like!

CardinalFaith
I'm Here A Lot

Does anyone know if theres an update on this? I know they have until feb 4th to reply to CRTC, but does anyone know if they have responded yet?

Any hope of trying to get information about this from Rogers end would be verily misplaced, considering how huge a blow this is to thier company, I mean, having to actually GIVE thier PAYING customers what they PAID FOR, rather than slowing down thier speeds, so you can handle more customers and make more money while not upgrading your systems, or addressing the complains of thier customers!?!? Outrageous!!!!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I guess it must be hit and miss who and what they target?

Myself, have never notices the throttling at all.. or if it has been there, it hasnt effected me enough to notice.

I play WoW daily, and my latency is exactly the same as it was before i heard of any of this going on (we are talking a years back).

I just recently switched to the new Docsis modem to take advantage of the speed boost, etc... and with Yesterdays patch, i was getting better than normal, while it was using the P2P download (getting 1.5+ mb/s).

I makes me wonder, that if some of the people that have generaly been effected by this, if other P2P activity is going on,on their connection which might be triggering it as well.

Breadwinka
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya some people in more congested areas were effected. I for one was one of the lucky ones and didnt really notice the issues. For awhile i had speed issues but that was fixed when i got a seperate router and just bridged the modem.
emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

Woot!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/02/03/tech-rogers-throttling.html

Rogers is finally promising to stop the throttling.  So for the people saying they never noticed and weren't affected, consider yourself one of the lucky few.  Lots of people were affected.  Enough so, that the CRTC with help of Cisco, found Rogers to be  violating federal net neutrality rules by deliberately slowing or throttling time-sensitive internet traffic, specifically online games.

This is / was a very real issue.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh i dont argue the fact that is IS a real issue, and is something they SHOULDNT be doing.

Im a VERY heavy internet user..

Some P2P, not alot, heavy wow usage, large file transfer between here and work... and was not effected.

just currious WHAT users that were effected, their internet usage patterns were like, that would trip it.