Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Thats not hard to believe, 2 years ago I ran into some telus guys at a hotel who were laying Fibre lines for Bell/Telus....everything about Rogers just seems they are just going to drop the Download caps and just rake in the cash as people go over their monthly limits... from what I have seen... and heard bell and telus are actually upgrading their backbones, and even their last mile connections to actually provide more bandwidth...

Rogers... it would be nice to se a rogers rep chime in to say just what upgrades, if any,  rogers is doing to provide the speeds they claim. Like has been posted before... the biggest BOTTLE NECK is Rogers Partner to get connected outside of Canada.. if that connection is over stressed.. then ...???

To reiterate.... NEVER trust speed tests that just test your connection within Canada..it is like testing your computers connection to the router.. of course it should be fast.. but when you want to download from Apple in the States or view a web page on BBC in England....if the Main pipe Rogers uses to get us connected to the rest of the world wide web is PLUGGED... we all suffer...

I don't think it is too much for Rogers to Implement multiple connections to the rest of the world considering the amount of money they charge, spreading the traffic geographically. My Traceroutes are seeing more issues with Rogers own internal network many times than what happens when my traffic finally crosses the border..

Any Rogers Reps want to chime in to explain and let us know what Rogers is doing to make our lives more enjoyable???

Caboose
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm still having an issue where if I enter a BG, my connection will be fine for 2 minutes or so, but then my latency will gradually get higher and higher. Just now, it was at 6k, but before when I was sitting around in org, it was a little over 100. Once I leave the BG, my lag will instantly disappear. This problem only happens in BGs, not raids, dungeons, cities, nowhere. One other thing is if I alt-tab while I'm lagging, my connection strength will go crazy. It will be "Excellent" instantly go down to "Low", go back to "Good" back down to "Low", back to "Excellent", etc. Also, my connection speed will be much lower than normal. This ONLY happens in BGs. Is anyone else having this problem, or know what the problem could be?

Zzyxk
I've Been Around

I was just complaining about this on WoW, when I thought, hmm I should post something, I have the same problem in Oshawa ontario. On top of countless disconnects on a daily basis whether gaming or not, I get huge lag spikes when playing most games online, and my computer says there are no issues.  Rogers is honestly close to making me miss dial up. At least dial up didnt disconnect this often and the lag was consistent.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

WOW what to say....

Realise I play on World of Warcraft on a 3G router... yes basically wireless... no hard line cable connection to the internet.. in fact I was able to play wow "decently" using a cell phone and tethering 2 years ago... 

Despite what Ressy says and their response.. which seems just as convulted as any Rogers reply to the CRTC...

the main issue is that whether you have an extremely fast cable connection or a reasonably fast 3g wireless connection.. WOW does NOT take alot of bandwidth to play, it does not STRESS the ability of Rogers to provide decent download or upload speeds.. for the traffic it consumes...

Do people Know that playing Flash games on Facebook for example, Like mafia wars or poker... can consume 25MB of data in 10 minutes of play...??? And people wonder why Apple dropped support... 

It is all about content.... what you see on your screen is what you get... the more "flashy animations, movies, etc etc and they are just the ads.. IS CONTENT downloaded to your computer.. which with caps.. is stuff you are PAYING for...

Having a 10GB  cap paying $100 a month on 3G.. I have learned to install add ons that disable me from seeing and paying for  downloading high content ads.. but yet.. this is Rogers Bread and Butter... video and voice over the internet.. smaller caps which means people pay MUCH more when they go over... 1 GB is the standard netflixx movie... they have Video on demand too.. but Rogers doesn't care... the more you download the MORE YOU PAY... 

So Rogers has basically said they control what traffic you get, and how fast you can get it... 

In other words... If you are downloading high content data such as videos.. you get HIgh Priority... because you will pay for it as you reach your download CAP faster... us low demand Gamers are just bunched in with the P2P traffic because we will not go over our caps and generate revenue...

This is the real issue.. and was proven in the documents Rogers gave the CRTC... GAMING traffic is SHAPED, put to the lowest priority... BECAUSE ROGERS CAN!!

Ressy

Gaming traffic is shaped when p2p is active, unless its been previously whitelisted by Rogers.

If you're on wireless, or the Rogers Hub, thats the cause of your connection problems.  It may be 3g speeds but its NOT RELIABLE or STABLE.  That matters more than speed.  Wireless, 3g, and the Rogers hub are all unsupported connection methods for WoW.  It WILL cause disconnections and increased latency.  NONE OF THESE ARE RECOMMENDED FOR ANY SORT OF GAMING WHATSOEVER, EVEN IF ROGERS EMPLOYEES TRY TO SELL YOU ON IT BEING FINE.

If you're having problems with wow right now without p2p active, and you're not using wireless or the rogers hub, then you're experiencing congestion due to lack of Rogers upgrades.

Rogers has implemented their temporary fix for the WoW problem.. We're just waiting on the final fix, as the whitelist by IP address which they currently have in place is insufficient, as if Blizzard moves their servers, WoW will be managed again.

gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around

What kind of response does any Rogers employee have to say about this:

Rogers: The World's Worst Throttler (Officially)

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/peter-nowak/rogers-throttling_b_1025862.html

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

@gabbie

Great find!  Thank you for sharing that article. 

Would any Rogers employee also care to comment on the fact that one of their biggest competitors is moving away from throttling and traffic shaping?

Internet Traffic Throttling: Bell Canada Says It Plans To Move Away From Slowing Download Speeds

Why would I possibly want to stay with Rogers if Bell is not going to throttle my connection?  Make a decision Rogers.  Do what is right for the consumer or risk losing a lot of customers.

gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around

Basically the ENTIRE Planet Earth is telling Rogers... what your doing is wrong.  But Rogers keeps on saying what we are doing is in line with CRTC guidelines.  But then others argue CRTC is allowing Rogers to continue being the worst ISP on the planet and they are not doing anything about it.

Poo rolls downhill and the rolling pile just keeps on getting bigger until someone steps up and says enough is enough!

CGO has done a good job so far with that, now we just need something bigger, like hmm CRTC ( which is ran by mostly Bell & Rogers anyhow) to put their foot down.

Ressy