Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caboose
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Good, I thought I was the only one still having the problem.

I'd really appreciate it if people would keep us up to date on what is going on between Rogers and the CRTC, or at least show me where I can look for myself. Thanks.

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

And to reiterate to Rogers AND the CRTC, I DO NOT RUN P2P programs while playing the game, and have in FACT DISABLED WOW from delivering/updating with P2P settings...

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo72/fmpsportsguy/wowP2P.jpg

see screen shot attached , and as a Rocket HUB customer paying for EVERY MB uploaded or downloaded it was the first thing I did.. So... in your message to the CRTC about "TESTING"... did miss this? miss a customer who knows what it is like to pay for every bit of data transmitted, and has taken EVERY reasonable step to get the fastest speed?

MTF
I'm Here A Lot

weird i am on rogers but i have no issue with that, maybe its a location specific problem?

I have been playing wow since beta with rogers and never had any problems like your experiencing

you using over 4Mb of addons? I had this issue a while back and then i deleted them all and redownloaded only the needed ones like deadly boss mods and such for raiding, and never had the problem again. It was my AH addon that was causing all the trouble.

SInce then, no problems what so ever.

gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around

@MTF the issues described in this thread are not addon related.

A way some test their WoW experience is to play it like you normally do, then in the background activate 1 single p2p file download or upload, no matter the size, it could be 1 byte.

Then go back to your game, you will notice you may not be able to interact with the game world or even be able to pass the character screen.

Then you go back and disable the p2p application, log in and all is well.

Now as others have indicated, they experience this same behavior without running p2p applications... how ever anyone on that same internet connection running something that may be incorrectly classified as P2P will provide same behavior.  Such as running your gaming console, or another pc in your house hold running p2p or items detected as p2p on those pc's.

Edit:  As i have previously wrote, when i switched to Teksavvy (cable internet they purchase from Rogers and resale)  i was able to play and run p2p at the same time, but my playing experience was slow.  But at least it did not "prevent" from playing while p2p was simultanously running.  Prior to switching to Teksavvy i could not play at all with p2p running.

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

to gabbie... the rogers team is more then welcome to come to my home and play world of warcraft on my rocket hub connection..as my computer stands, still on windows XP for my own reason,  and see raw data playing the game.. I did THETHER my computer throgh a cell phone a year ago a be able to play.... at much better speed through my so called 7mb  DL rocket hub... so 

Rogers is just making excuses, until they send a tech to my house.. I have a home phone line with my hub, and BELL CANADA USED to send a tech to my location when I was having problems... Rogers has NEVER offered to have a tech check  out my HOME PHone rocket hub, let alone the internet connection.... my phone sometimes rings, or people tell me my home phone router which is connected to a yagi antenna at 5 bars.... the customer is unavailable... hmmm 

no phone service, no wow service.... yet no rogers tech at my house.... so maybe a complaint to the CRTC is again in order.. this is the tech forums, perhaps some one would like to contact me to resolve this technical issue?????

This is just another issue with us wow users... and they have clumped all discussions into one "internet" forum.. some people might play on cable, some of us play on wireless...yet still no answers as to why we get throttled..

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya I agree with you in regards to no tech help.  I've called many many times to Rogers for help and was basically told there isn't a problem.  WTF?!  Then why do I get throttled to the point of webpages barely being able to load and my games disconnecting?  

As Xplore said, not once have they offered to send someone out, and try to just pretend everything is actually fine instead.  What I do not understand is how this thread on their own forums as well as the countless wow forum threads, dslreport threads, and other places on the internet all complain about this, they can sit there and tell us and the CRTC that it's all fixed.  That takes some serious nerve.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Guys, try something for me..

Go into the WoW options panel (you can access it on the login screen), and go into the Network settings - disable "Optimize for Network Speed" and then close wow (don't hit the upper right x or alt-f4 out)..

Restart wow...  You should see a bit of a difference - possibly actually able to stay connected.

Essentially, this change makes it so the packets being sent between your system & Blizzard slow down...    This setting (while increasing your latency in-game), gives more allowances for packetloss and increased latency that we've been seeing for months in the Rogers network because they're too damned lazy and cheap to upgrade their equipment before giving everyone speed increases..  This equipment is now at capacity in many areas because of this..

London

Kitchener/Waterloo

a few neighbourhoods in North York

a few neighbourhoods in Scarborough

a neighbourhood in downtown Toronto near UofT

Caboose
I Plan to Stick Around

When you say "This equipment is now at capacity in many areas because of this", does that mean that those areas are getting better connection or worse connection? I'm just a little confused about your choice of wording.
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Worse connection.   MUCH worse connection.  Users will be seeing speeds much lower than what they're paying for.

Having equipment at capacity is a bad thing.