Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

I encourage everyone to write an email to the CRTC, and to your MP regarding this issue.  We pay for a certain level of service, that Rogers takes  the money for and then turns up and down the quality of that service as they see fit.  That is not right.  It's a bait and switch.  ie.  Pay $1200+ a year on "Ultimate" service for up to 50Mbps for things like video, data, gaming.... BUT at any time I will grind your speed to almost nothing

Does that seem morally right to anyone?  Would other businesses that sold items rather than services be allowed to continue this??  I don't think so

wesg79
I've Been Here Awhile

well after coming back to wow and i see this still isnt fixed..put my call into techsavvy tonight, if they can provide me with dry loop service Rogers is a gonner..ive had it with their deflecting reposonses and **bleep** poor customer support.

25mb service, the only place i see it is speedtest.net

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Can confirm this is still an issue here in Trenton on Rogers rocket hub..latency 230ms Home/ 1810ms world...

Neighbour also reporting DC's and unplayable...

Nice fix rogers!!

lazydude1
I've Been Around

Disconnecting Constantly

Ok, this beyond like crap. I have been getting constant disconnects during Thrusday and today. All late at night. Thrusday happened at exactly 12AM. Today, it happened at 1:30AM. Whatever is going on Rogers you better fix this. I am not the only one also having this dumb problem. My friend I am on Skype with constantly also gets this problem at the exact same time. Then there are others on Skype with me also getting the same problem.

The thing is what is weird is that when this "disconnect" happens Skype works PERFECTLY FINE. Skype seems to be untouched AT ALL by this disconnecting crap. Skype some how just lives through it magically, while IE, Firefox, Chrome, Online games, MSN etc all completely fail after the disconnect. It disconnects and unable to have access to anything for about 15 - 30mins. My Internet even says it's connected.

Rogers please find a way out of this. I am no enjoying my gaming time and surfing time right now. Of course if someone else knows a fix please let me know, thank you.

jsdavies
I've Been Around

Re: Disconnecting Constantly

Interesting! I'm having exactly the same problem and had it last weekend when we were away too. Skype also worked fine for me but nothing else.

Fayth18
I've Been Around

I had the exact same problem tonight and on Thursday. Kind of annoying. It actually just happened again now for a moment. I thought it might be a DNS issue and tried and alternate DNS but that didn't fix the problem I just had moments ago.
emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure the policy Rogers has on this so use at your own risk... but as they kept saying there was no problem and the problem had been fixed, yet clearly it had not be resolved, I tried a free trial of a wow SSH tunnel and instantly the latency and disconnecting stopped.

wowtunnels.com

Trial is limited and kills the connection after 30 minutes but its more than enough time to test it.  Only tunnels wow, so the rest of your traffic is handled as normal.  (NOTE:  do not check the firewall mode.  If you do it will tunnel the authentication and WoW will think your account may be hacked - just leave that unchecked unless you have problems.  I had none.  Worked flawlessly)

Price is around $12 for 3 months.  $4 a month to have a rock solid connection is totally worth it imo.

I'm pretty pissed off I have to pay for another service on top of Rogers monthly price, but I am glad the game can stay connected now, completely lag free, rather than disconnecting every 2 mins with unenjoyable latency in between.

This also proves to me 1 of 2 things.  Either Rogers fix did not work at all and it still false positives Wow, and throttles it down to unusable levels.  Or there are bad hops between the realm server and your local Rogers node.  I had sent some traceroutes to the Rogers tech (the guy I got this weekend was the first nice one that actually looked a little into this for me instead of the usual dismissal crap - so Kudo's to James of On-Line Live support), and it showed bad hops at some AT&T nodes.  I looked on the wow forums and it seems a lot of people have had bad hops with IP's beginning with "12" which belong to AT&T, and there was a Blue response, so search their forums for more on that.  Whether or not those hops are bad because Rogers traffic shaping has dropped enough packets that the AT&T servers need to send a ton of resend requests... who knows.

Bottom line, a SSH tunnel instantly fixed the issue, so Rogers has not fixed the problem at all.  They are taking peoples money for a level of service they never really deliver.

Write the CRTC and your MP's.

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@emcdonald:

instead of tracert, I suggest using WinMTR, which does the following, as per Wikipedia:

MTR probes routers on the route path by limiting the number of hops individual packets may traverse, and listening to responses of their expiry. It will regularly repeat this process, usually once per second, and keep track of the response times of the hops along the path.

The information provided by WinMTR is quite interesting and informative on the quality and nature of a given total Internet connection between you and the selected IP address end point.  As well it updates the information once a second, so you get a real-time picture of the total link.

Download it for free from here:

http://winmtr.net/

skinorth

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Theres a major issue with Rogers's peering partner again.  Their 10 gig link in New York is congested, and is dropping packets and causing increased latency.  This is probably the cause of your problems.

However, the real problem is getting Rogers Technical Support to escalate it to glbx, as several people have called in but Rogers reps have refused to escalate it so it can be fixed.

If you do a tracert, or run a 3d trace, the IP address is:

Its affecting Rogers customers across Canada.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2973023365?page=1

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

@Ressy

I discussed that with a tech on the weekend.  They refused to put me through to a tier 2 rep, and said that because their partner was in the States there was nothing they could do.

So I called glbx directly myself and spoke with their tech's.  They said they would look into it, but felt like they just wanted me to go away.