cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Wow's getting deprioritized by Rogers (tracerts/pathpings are clean, all ports are open/forwarded, no p2p running on any machine for at least 30 minutes before attempting to run wow), resulting in increased latency and dc'ing in wow.

Assuming this issue has something to do with Rogers' change to their terms last month..

I also assume Rogers filters are picking wow up as p2p incorrectly (like many other ISPs did) after Blizzard changed their communication methods/packet structure so they can do a Repair on Demand feature where instead of the game crashing, wow just downloads & streams the file from the server to the user, and the user can keep playing without seeing anything wrong.

Attempting to call Tech Support results in 1 of 3 of the following:
1. "Its not our problem, its the game."  Its not.  Other users in Ontario play fine (I can play fine at home in Toronto, but I dc constantly at my sister's in Ottawa).
2. "We don't support gaming." Fine, update your website to show that you can't game on any of your packages from Rogers Lite and above.
3. "Sorry, I can't transfer you to a supervisor." Oh... REALLY???

Really getting tired of the runaround now.

So far this affects London, Waterloo, parts of Toronto, and parts of Ottawa.  There are multiple posts in the WoW Tech support forums regarding issues with Rogers & WoW.  Here's one which now recommends tunneling to avoid using Rogers hops to actually be able to play the game:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1568009046

Who can I talk to to get this fixed? 

Will it be fixed by Rogers, or will Rogers just update their site so that it says you can't game on it, so people will KNOW that Rogers is poor for gaming (I was already suspecting that, as I can't play & host CoD:Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 without massive latency, without ANYTHING else running - its random who hosts a game, its not like I'm deliberately hosting or anything.)

Is this even fixable, or should I as a regular Tech Support poster on the wow forums start recommending to other WoW users using Rogers to switch to an ISP that actually will listen to its users?

Thoughts? Comments? Anything?

***edited labels***

578 REPLIES 578

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Fayth
I've Been Around
I'm just wondering, do these issues only occur while a P2P client is active on the network? Does that include Skype? I don't mind forbidding torrents on my network, but Skype is a must and I've been reading that the Rogers throttling effects Skype as well.

Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

And I'm wondering if this issue only affects folks with Rogers' DOCSIS 3.0 modems?

Is it really an issue at Rogers' head end, or is it (yet another) issue with these poor Rogers modems?

This wouldn't be the first time users correctly diagnosed a issue before Rogers techs manage to.

Is anybody with the old Mortorola Surfboard modem having these problems?

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

That's a very good point.  Could be.  

I will say, whatever the problem is, it is definitely NOT fixed.  I thought it had been resolved and then last night I spent the majority of my raid trying to log back in before I got kicked from the group for my connection problems.  Rest of my internet worked perfectly.  Rogers just doesn't work with online games.  So sad.

Guess I'll have to go back to what I intended to do a while ago and switch to Teksavy like so many others.  I really wish they would just give up on the throttling thing to the extremes they are.  I mean, seriously if you have to throttle, why not cut it to 5Mbs or something that is managable on the network, but wont disconnect me from severe packetloss every 10 mins from the application I got the internet for in the first place.

Another complaint to the CRTC is in order.

Caboose
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, it's fairy obvious this "fix" worked just about as well as the last fix that Rogers put out. I am so incredibly frustrated with this, I am seriously considering attempting to convince the person who buys my internet to switch to another ISP just to fix this problem. I seriously wonder what exactly Rogers has been doing that has caused this issue to go unfixed for months (I have lost count of the exact number).

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I suspect the 'fix' hasn't been pushed to all Rogers DPI systems..

My friend's WoW didn't start working properly until around July 13th - 1 1/2 months after Rogers stated it was fixed, and he can now play WoW properly with his father running p2p. 

Still several games affected, which Rogers is ignoring.

Canadian Gamers Organization is going to be looking into additional games, and testing them, and doing CRTC complaints on behalf of users.

If you wish to report a game to us, you can do so on our very new (and pretty empty) forums. lol.  We'll work with you to track down the cause of the problem, and if it is an ITMP issue with Rogers, we'll complain on your behalf to the CRTC.

http://cdngameorg.yuku.com/

This is all so gamers are heard, as Rogers is doing a great job of ignoring us.

Phil_Mason
I'm Here A Lot

5 of us mid raid random spikes and disconnects.  nobody is downloading p2p and its disabled in the launcher.  Area that is affeced for us ranges from Barrie and Sutton.  Some days we have no issues at all and then it hits us like a truck.  While this is happening all other applications / games we play seem to work fine.  From TF2 to L4D, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Minecraft...  However in World of Warcraft we go from 100ms upto 3000ms at times.

Me and a friend in the Barrie are experiencing the same issue.  Were getting random disconnect and high latency.  Switch to a different game and no issue.  Seem to happen between the time of 7 and midnight on Sundays.  Any other night seem to be pretty smooth.   We disabled the P2P feature in World of warcraft and the issue was still ongoing.  

Can we get Rogers to resolved this issue please. 

Exact same time frame for us, sometimes it happens monday around that time as well.  Other than that its smooth

Although looking at my ping right now, its still happening currently.  Just got disconnected. 

wow
I've Been Around
Time to change ISP if they don't care maybe they will if we all leave! Then they will call us and and offer us some great deal to come back lol

gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around

i've already been offered a 75$ prepaid mastercard for switching back.  I said no lol

Who did you go to?

Most likely TekSavvy. I will switch after I my 1 year commitment is complete. Rogers offered me 15% off on all our services, a free installation and house infrastructure tune up, and the extreme plan with the modem and taxes included for $62.99 /month, to stay and I guess I couldn't really say no. I don't play WOW anymore but I do use OnLive which is a cloud gaming service that streams games to crappy PC's and TV's lol. It uses like 1.8 GB per hour, so even 150 GB a month is not enough. If you've never heard of OnLive check it out, it's free to sign up, no credit card required and you can demo all games for free =).

Rogers really needs to improve latency though, it's abysmal and the upload rates are so pathetic.

lyfe12
I've Been Here Awhile

hey guys i just recently read about some people we disconnecting on monday i too had the same issue me and my brother were being thrown off and it was really annoying since 23 other ppl were waiting for us and eventually me and my brother left since we didn't want to hold them back any longer i haven't had this issue in a while but it does return and it really agaitates me they seriously have to do somehting about this. I read that it was happening in barrie ppl were being thrown off however i live in the gta thornhill to be exact and me and a bunch of my friends were also disconnecting as well.

gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around
a few pages ago i mentioned it a few times, i went Teksavvy cable highspeed. I haven't looked back once. Nothing rogers can do to ever receive my business ever again.

lyfe12
I've Been Here Awhile

i do plan on switching over the inlimited bandwith is a huge attraction for me as well as not being thrown off WoW however i'm locked in until oct 😞

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

Last night my girlfriend and myself were continually thrown off of wow, mid raid, over and over and over.  Everything else on the internet worked perfectly.  We have no bittorent clients on our network and the p2p feature of the game launcher disabled.  She was removed from the raid (missed our first 25man Ragnaros kill), I stayed only cause they couldn't find a replacement but my friends were pretty angry when I wiped them for 2 hours from dropping seeds in the raid etc from being disconnected and dealing massive lag spikes.

My friends in America and Australia and the UK that I play with flat out laugh at my Rogers service.  Our biggest fastest internet provider can't handle a game that millions of others isp's can.  Rogers discourages other businesses from using the internet as a medium, such as Netflix and Wow. That’s a lot of lost tax revenue.  Something the CRTC should consider.

When I contacted tech support last night they admitted there is a problem with their P2P throttling unintentionally affecting WoW, and that they are looking into it.  So much for their “fix”.  They also stated they do not support online games. Our biggest isp does not support online games!!!!

Pathetic.  Why have I not moved to Teksavy as I intended a while ago to do yet?  Ugh  I guess I was stupid enough to believe Rogers when they said they had fixed it

Ran a tracert to one of the New York Data centers:

PvP Dalvengyr199.107.6.216

Outcome:

Tracing route to 199.107.6.216 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2     6 ms     5 ms     6 ms  7.16.12.1
  3     6 ms     5 ms     6 ms  69.63.255.57
  4     6 ms     5 ms     5 ms  69.63.250.113
  5     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  69.63.250.122
  6    26 ms    27 ms    27 ms  69.63.251.129
  7    26 ms    28 ms   241 ms  TenGigabitEthernet9-2.ar7.NYC1.gblx.net [64.208.169.149]
  8    30 ms    29 ms    30 ms  192.205.33.5
  9    30 ms    29 ms    29 ms  cr1.n54ny.ip.att.net [12.122.131.86]
 10    29 ms    29 ms    29 ms  gar1.nw2nj.ip.att.net [12.122.131.81]
 11    31 ms    29 ms    30 ms  12.122.251.10
 12    54 ms    37 ms    42 ms  mdf001c7613r0004-gig-10-1.nyc3.attens.net [63.240.65.18]
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Hop 12 being the last hop according to http://www.wowwiki.com/US_realm_list_by_datacenter

Trying to figure out why the: TenGigabitEthernet9-2.ar7.NYC1.gblx.net [64.208.169.149] address is spiking up that high.

High congestion in the network? Do we have to wait for Rogers to add more hardware to alleviate all the oversubscription?

This happened to me in March-April and then stopped until it happened again yesterday. Also happening to a friend who lives 3-4 blocks away from where I live. I've heard that TekSavvy uses Rogers backbone, so will switching to Teksavvy really fix the problem?

gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around

Neverdeeps, yes the problem is fixed with Teksavvy... sadly the hop 7 will not, but that's not what actually causes it since i still have that much at that hop but there's no wow issue at all.

I switched to Teksavvy on April 25'th ( 48$ plan tax included for 300 gigs 15 download ) and the same day the problem disappeared, i run multiple p2p on my connection on multiple pc's. Roomate uses netflix on the ps3 in the living room while playing Rift on the notebook and i use p2p while paying wow, all with no issues at all. Incredible how much the issue really doesn't exist "yet".. * keeping my fingers crossed*

I switched mid contract, i didn't wait, screw rogers and their contract, even if i had to pay 100$ to cancel it was worth a million dollars to switch.

Kiraa4
I've Been Here Awhile
I've been experiencing a lot of lag in game for the last 3-4 days. Anyone else having the same problem? Its really getting annoying.

emcdonald
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, the last 2 weeks have been the worst I have experienced in a long while. 😞