Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

@randomguy wrote:

Strangely, I've just started having this issue with my internet speed being slowed as well as frequent disconnects within the last couple weeks. I never had any connection issues as serious as this from the end of April (when I started playing WOrld of Warcraft) to the middle of June. Strange, but now that I've tried talking to Rogers tech support a couple times, I've been unable to get them to admit that online games could be causeing my connection problems. They instead try and make me clear my internet cache (lol) and perform other useless fixes, and when I bring up that the problem seems to be WoW or online gaming related, they just reply something like "online gaming servers are unpredictable and have nothing to do with us", or "online gaming is very bandwidth intensive and your bandwidth must be maxing-out". I am subscribing to Extreme Plus (the fastest available in Waterloo) and so I have a VERY hard time believeing this is the case considering I never have any problems when playing at my parent's house in another area of Ontario.

Rogers, if your unintensionally throttling online games, please at least ADMIT TO IT when I call looking for technical support, instead of wasting your customers' time. Thank you Ressy for bringing this to my attention.

Thats just pathetic.  Wow can run on a 2mpbs connection.  Its not ideal, but its doable.

It just goes to show how out to lunch Rogers employees are when it comes to gaming.  They know jack all about it, and about what they're supposed to help users with.

kerry_girl
I've Been Around

I sent an email to Rogers last night and asked a couple of questions.  I asked them why I had to find out about this problem through a third party instead of being notified by Rogers themselves.  I also asked them why no status updates/notifications have been posted concerning the "fix".  Here is the response I received today.  

"We acknowlege that there is a problem with wow and both rogers and the game manufacturer have done some thing to resolve this issue ,however there is still more work need to be done. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience as we continue to work closely with the game manufacturer and our equipment supplier to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.Please be aware that is by no means throttling"

I have had major problems with Rogers ever since we signed up with them 1-1/2 years ago.  If we hadn't purchased the modem/router and TV receivers, we definitely would have cancelled their services a long time ago.  As it is, we have to be with them for about 2 full years in order for the equipment to pay for itself then I'll be looking elsewhere. Unfortunately the alternative is Bell....ugh!

Ressy

@kerry_girl wrote:

I sent an email to Rogers last night and asked a couple of questions.  I asked them why I had to find out about this problem through a third party instead of being notified by Rogers themselves.  I also asked them why no status updates/notifications have been posted concerning the "fix".  Here is the response I received today.  

"We acknowlege that there is a problem with wow and both rogers and the game manufacturer have done some thing to resolve this issue ,however there is still more work need to be done. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience as we continue to work closely with the game manufacturer and our equipment supplier to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.Please be aware that is by no means throttling"

I have had major problems with Rogers ever since we signed up with them 1-1/2 years ago.  If we hadn't purchased the modem/router and TV receivers, we definitely would have cancelled their services a long time ago.  As it is, we have to be with them for about 2 full years in order for the equipment to pay for itself then I'll be looking elsewhere. Unfortunately the alternative is Bell....ugh!

Thats interesting, because Rogers told me & the CRTC that the issue was 100% fixed.

Someone at Rogers is lying.  Not anything new unfortunately.

Pisidan
I Plan to Stick Around

I can gladly say as of last night I canceled my Services from roger..when i was asked why i told them about throttling and that they dont compete wiht other indies and would rather stiffle them and i no longer will support that..they than began to spew their non sense rebuttles which I knew where rehearsed. In the long run i told them i already todl them why and it finally dfid it and signed wiht an Indie provider whihc i might add is 100 times better im paying 15 dollars less and getting 300 gig limit vs Rogers 60 gig limit pretty sad when i get more for less and better quality(no throttling). Good luck to you all i will never go back to rogers again even if it means paying more after they lies and cons they have tryed to spew out in the community and their attack on consumers with the UBB. i urge you all to sign the petition http://openmedia.ca/ and also cancel your services if you can to show them consumer wont take it any longer in the rear! im so glad i did mine and now am rogers free I got my soul back HORRAY!

Pingadhotor
I've Been Here Awhile

Folks, I phoned a month or so ago, and received a credit note.

Advised them they are getting close to a class action by all wow players who use rogers.

I suggest all those who are still playing and utilize rodgers phone monthly and ask for their credit note.

#1.  It shows up in the revenue stream as a clear cost.

#2.  It crosses outside of the techs into the other areas.

Also, if you have solid tracking, and analysis **bleep**s, then, forward them to the Admin of the VP of customer service.  Last time, I found this through their board of directors pages.

Pingadhotor
I've Been Here Awhile

I created a facebook group.  Wonder if we can see how many people are impacted.

If nothing else, it also makes it public.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/177928622269927

Syphacleeze
I Plan to Stick Around

I phoned Rogers the other day to complain about poor speeds in general. I was testing 1Mbps down, 1Mbps up on my Extreme service in North East London Ontario. While on the phone the tech asked me to power cycle all of my equipment and then try a few more tests. Immediately my service went up to ~16Mbps down 1Mbps up.

I'd not had to power cycle anything for a few months prior, so while I won't say that this DIDN'T fix it, it seems weird that this would have changed anything.

My gaming performance in Starcraft 2 seems to have improved somewhat (no jittery play and prompts to other players that I'm lagging).

However, I haven't even tried to load WoW for the last two weeks or so (since the new patch became available). I guess I was just so frustrated with 3-4+ weeks of being unable to play at all that I've kind of kicked the habit that is WoW. I can't imagine the folks on here who've been unable to play at all for months.

I expect that in the near future I will be either changing to TekSavvy or complaining to Rogers phone agents until my bill is adjusted. I saw that TekSavvy in my area is offering a cable HSI plan that is 15Mbps and unlimited usage for something like $55/month (+Modem purchase one time fee).

The Rogers Extreme plan I'm paying for now costs more than TekSavvy, delivers lower speed (I'm grandfathered so it's set at 10Mbps apparently) and my usage is only 95GB/Month. When I lived alone 95GB was pretty adequate, but now that I'm splitting usage with a roomie 95GB just isn't cutting it (netflix, gaming, work VPN, chews up my usage pretty well). All of these issues are even before we get into the throttling / gaming issues on Rogers service.

At this point I just don't see that Rogers is competive against TekSavvy (who uses Rogers backbone and equipment!!). You guys are shooting yourselves in the feet over this kind of stuff, in my opinion. You may think you can keep getting on because of the ignorance of some users, but I tell you what, the word of mouth between the geek crowd is growing against you very quickly and I wouldn't expect it to stop any time soon, at least at the pace you're going.

TekSavvy's prices blow you away, and all accounts I've heard say the service is actually superior because the CRTC doesn't let you throttle their traffic. High prices, unreasonable caps and throttling just isn't competitive anymore.

gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm very happy to see this, i know i posted this before, more then once too! i am in north east london and my switch to tech savvy has been the best decision ever!

ccrashh
I'm an Enthusiast

I, too, switched to Teksavvy - fantastic decision so far.  No bottlenecks, quick access - Rift (not WoW in my case) works well.  Netflix is awesome - no traffic shaping.

5 times the bandwidth and 1.5 times the advertised speed (15Mbps instead of 10).  $16 less a month.  Really, why NOT switch?  I really don't get it.

Ressy

I just got an email, and my jaw dropped.

Essentially, the CRTC is not convinced the problem is fixed, and have given Rogers a deadline to provide proof that it IS fixed, or face a public proceeding.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9038867/Rogers/Rogers_process_letter_13_July.pdf