Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Frequent issues in London Ontario, north east end of the city, on Rogers Extreme 15Mbps service.

No P2P running, apps not even running (heard someone say before that even leaving the apps open can get your line squeezed?). I have kicked the roomies' laptop off my network a few times to be sure it wasn't her machine doing anything crazy, but my problem remains..

Seems like my ping in WoW (@ Illidan PVP, USA Realm) will either sit around 60ms or 900-3000ms. When it's in the 60 range I have no disconnects, but occasionally it will jump up to 3000ms and I will get 'disconnected from server' message. On Saturday morning i was getting 'battle.net is unavailable' periodically, and then it would come back online minutes later.

I'm wondering if Rogers reps can shed some light on how the traffic shaping / QoS is being handled? It would seem to me that if P2P ports were being shut or closed down then our issues wouldn't be so random, because I have to admit that about 20-30% of the time my connection seems stable. I guess I'm thinking that if rogers network backbone is running with some rules to limit this traffic, it should be unplayable all the time, not just part of the time (unless the restrictions are set to start at a particular time?)

There was some post on the WoW Tech Support board which said that Rogers was having an issue with a third party link that goes down into the USA. If this is the case I could understand, as it's hard dealing with someone elses hardware issues, but if that is the case I'm wondering if we could get some kind of confirmation?

I havent actually tried to phone up rogers tech support yet, because to be honest I felt like punching myself in the face the last time I tried to talk to them about an issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I too live North east of London Ontario.  I switched from Rogers to TekSavvy on April 25th, and the issue disappeared.  TekSavvy uses cable internet from Rogers, but the issue actually doesn't exist anymore. 

You may want to consider that.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@gabbie1977 wrote:

I too live North east of London Ontario.  I switched from Rogers to TekSavvy on April 25th, and the issue disappeared.  TekSavvy uses cable internet from Rogers, but the issue actually doesn't exist anymore. 

You may want to consider that.

This is because Rogers doesn't 'manage' Teksavvy traffic, so its not being affected by Rogers' malfunctioning DPI machines.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I can't edit my previous post, but you can also add this:

Vindictus (Nexon)

Borderlands (2k Games) (The Gamespy portion seems to be most affected)

Only 9 days remaining in June. Hopes of the promised fix are diwindling.

Get it together, Rogers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I currently am paying for the top Ultimate package, which I recently upgraded to in an effort to fix my gaming issues.  I was aware Rogers throttled bittorrent, but if this affects warcraft and other games, I will be cancelling my service tonight.  I have recently had very frustrating experiences trying to stay connected to wow, and have done everything from messing with every network setting I can find, to a complete re-install of windows.

I now learn that Rogers does not support online gaming???  That is totally ridiculous.  My American couterparts, in game, mocked me for paying $100 a month for an isp that doesn't allow bittorent or gaming.  I felt totally embarassed by this.

Rogers is also taking far too long in rectifying the issue.  From the first post in this thread, to this post it's been months and months.

I'm going to log on tonight and traceroute the servers.  If it looks like throttling is causing the drops (I have exhausted over the last 2 months every other possible fix, but will try once more), then I will be cancelling my service tonight.

Squeeky wheel gets the grease, and unless Rogers loses customers over this, why bother changing it?  As long as we pay each month why would they care to fix the issue?

I think what needs to happen at this point (as there has been more than enough time to get this resolved at this point), is just let everyone that games know, Rogers is a poor choice.  All the game forums I participate in will definitely be notified, as well as Blog's, twitter, facebook etc.

While I appreciate the efforts of mods in this thread to try and help, I'm sad to say, time's up.  Months of dealing with this is too much.

I don't pay $1200 + per year to NOT play the video game I want.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rec'd rogers response.

Rogers' position is that 'its fixed' because calls have dropped off, and because some of their CSRs are using old copy & paste jobs to respond to users.  Most experiencing issues have upgraded to a wholesaler of Rogers to avoid the Rogers bs.

http://t.co/7GgLD2R

Anyone care to start calling them if you're still experiencing issues?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I guess I'll have to take my complaint to the Office of the President again, because this is just ludicrous.

"Calls have declined since January". Well no **bleep**. We've been waiting for you to fix it, like you said, in June.

This is the only "fix" we're going to get?

Get your lazy, no-good, Network Engineers over to my house right now and I'll show them how to "replicate the issue".

This is such **bleep**.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Money talks & bs walks.. like they say.

Its sad but unless a huge amount of people leave rogers for that reason, by huge it would have to be an impact, say... 1000 people + , i really don't think Rogers gives a c rap.

I know when i left Rogers, the day i called in to cancel, i tried to explain what was wrong, the Rep on the phone was so clueless, it was like trying to explain a 2 yr old.   Is it possible that the majority who did leave, their "reasons" for leaving were not documented or reported well on Rogers side, which would explain why they would say no additional complaints have been received?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

congrats Rogers, your losing customers. I believe its giving you a really bad rep as far as customer service goes. A good company would take into consideration every single bit of feed back. If you cared, you would fulfill your promise by having a fix by the end of June.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Strangely, I've just started having this issue with my internet speed being slowed as well as frequent disconnects within the last couple weeks. I never had any connection issues as serious as this from the end of April (when I started playing WOrld of Warcraft) to the middle of June. Strange, but now that I've tried talking to Rogers tech support a couple times, I've been unable to get them to admit that online games could be causeing my connection problems. They instead try and make me clear my internet cache (lol) and perform other useless fixes, and when I bring up that the problem seems to be WoW or online gaming related, they just reply something like "online gaming servers are unpredictable and have nothing to do with us", or "online gaming is very bandwidth intensive and your bandwidth must be maxing-out". I am subscribing to Extreme Plus (the fastest available in Waterloo) and so I have a VERY hard time believeing this is the case considering I never have any problems when playing at my parent's house in another area of Ontario.

Rogers, if your unintensionally throttling online games, please at least ADMIT TO IT when I call looking for technical support, instead of wasting your customers' time. Thank you Ressy for bringing this to my attention.