Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tericho
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

I just got Rogers Extreme set up in my brand new condo with a brand new modem only to find out I can't play World of Warcraft because of the problem outlined in this thread.

Had no problems on Bell or Telus over the last 3 years.  Not happy right now and seeing as this is not a new problem I'm expecting action from you very soon or I will be cancelling.

turn
I've Been Around

issue came back today in full strength. Multiple people are reporting extreme latency in the 1-2k range, essentially making the game completely unplayable. Also noticed the issue to a lesser extent this week.

halldorr
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah it is VERY bad tonight
Exo
I've Been Here Awhile

Issue seemed to have been fixed for a while, but returned today. Hitting latencies of 200-600ms right now, up from my steady 40ms over the past few weeks/months.

Affiniti
I've Been Around

I just returned to WoW this week after a 3-month hiatus from the game. I had never experienced any of the above-described issues - until today/tonight.

We have quite a few Canadians in my guild, and one of our fellow guildies was kind enough to post a link on our forums awhile back to one of the news articles describing Rogers' throttling of WoW with a snicker & a "sucks to be a Canuck" comment. As I said above, I had never experienced this issue previous to today, so I disregarded the post.

After re-reading that post & doing a bit more digging, I found the thread on the Blizz tech forums, and eventually this thread.

So this "fix" they promised in June has arrived (based on what Ressy posted here), and has dumped previously-unaffected people into the same boat??

I've been playing WoW off-and on all day today (taking multiple nerd-rage hair-pulling breaks because of the latency/DC's), from approx 10am until now (10:30pm), and my in-game latency hasn't gone lower than 300ms, but is more often hovering above 1200ms (vs. the 30-50ms I've always experienced any other day, including yesterday). I've also been experiencing the random DC's that some people have mentioned.

This is all while maintaing 30 Ping in Ventrilo & having no issues browing the web. I have no P2P services running, and haven't run any P2P in at least 3 days (I also have P2P disabled in the WoW patcher).

I've done all the usual Blizzard recommendations of deleting cache/WTF/Addons folders. I've reset my modem and PC more times than I can count. I was on the verge of attempting to reinstall WoW before I remembered having read the news article relating to this issue.

I'm located in the west end of Toronto, midtown.

rcarville
I've Been Around

Affiniti - I'm in West To, Down by the lake. It's not something you can fix, def a Rogers issue (read my post above)
Jace017
I've Been Around

Checked again this morning and still not fixed, huge jump in hop.

6    27 ms    27 ms    25 ms  TenGigabitEthernet9-2.ar7.NYC1.gblx.net [64.208.169.149] 

7   101 ms   103 ms   101 ms  192.205.34.73

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Jace017 wrote:

Checked again this morning and still not fixed, huge jump in hop.

6    27 ms    27 ms    25 ms  TenGigabitEthernet9-2.ar7.NYC1.gblx.net [64.208.169.149] 

7   101 ms   103 ms   101 ms  192.205.34.73

Looks like global crossing is experiencing congestion issues - would explain the heavy heavy packet losses seen last night.

If it is severe congestion, it won't be fixed for months as they'll need to add new hardware - Bell went through this same problem at the beginning of the year.

zachary1g
I've Been Here Awhile

LOL i just wasted 2 hours of my life reading these 40 pages only to see in the end rogers still has not solved the problem haha this is absolutely absurd thank god I dont play any MMO's, FPS.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

So Rogers again admits that it's their problem?

Good.

After two days of RogersChris and RogersElise blaming internal network for their fix not working.

This company. I'm nearly speechless.

Today, I haven't been able to play Realm of the Mad God or League of Legends without a VPN due to constant disconnections.

With their internet service this poor, and my cell service getting "Network Unavailable" errors all the time now... How do you continue to run as a company when none of your services work properly?

I believe we need more competition in the field of telecommunications, since the current offerings can't get it together.