Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

@Grif wrote:

I just got Teksavvy in my area. Is anyone who has it too having any problems with WoW

Shouldn't considering Teksavvy doesn't throttle, and Rogers doesn't throttle them.  However if you're in the GTA or Ottawa, Teksavvy is highly congested.. To the point where I'm paying for 15/1, and getting 1/1.  Of course, since wow requires so little bandwidth, wow's still playable on an alt..  Probably not stable enough connection for raiding, but everything else seems to be fine.

Rocky's saying that if Rogers doesn't finish the upgrades for the Toronto POIs this weekend as Rogers had stated (they keep pushing it back due to 'technical problems' that have cropped up) that he'll be shutting down all signups for Toronto effective immediately.

Grif
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, I was just double checking

Also thank you Ressy for everything you have done with respect to this isue

gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around

I as well am switching to Teksavvy, but when i called them on March 25th, they confirmed to me if Rogers wants to throttle my connection, they still can and there's nothing Teksavvy can do as it is still Rogers who owns the signal.

Taken that info and considering they are way cheaper then rogers for the same server i went way wtih my order,  can't wait for April 25th when i switch.

simingy
I Plan to Stick Around

Can't believe after MONTHs this topic is still open. WOW (lol WoW).

If you're going with Teksavvy cable you're still gonna get throttled because it goes through Rogers.

FYI, yesterday I was able to bittorrent @ 1.6MB/s and maintain <30ms ping in WoW (world and home) on a Bell FIBE16 plan. Just shows in comparison how much Rogers is throttling.

Back when I was on Rogers 15MB, the SMC modem would just starting dropping connections past 200. MSN would drop, etc etc, not to mention the speed was crawling at like 100kb tops.

I used to be a happy rogers customer paying 200+$ a month with Internet, TV and two phone. It just shows how Rogers doesn't even care about their own customers, regardless of how much revenue you're generating for them.

At least with Bell I can call tech support and tell them to bump me to 3rd level straight because I know the IPDSLAM they're using better than their own 3rd levels, and have no problem doing it that way.

RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers doesn't throttle resellers at this time. Bell however, does.

Bell also has rediculously low caps, even worse than Rogers.

Bell also throttles outright, and has never denied it, whereas Rogers just started throttling this past here. The only difference is Rogers clearly doesn't know how to configure their own hardware so they throttle stuff (un)intentionally.

It's also a well known fact that the SMC modems are garbage. This is why I refuse to any NAT enabled modem.

You also want to probably consider the fact that not everyone can get decent speeds from both providers. I am able to get 15mb from Rogers, but can barely get 5 from Bell. Some people aren't lucky enough to be able to get service from both providers.

simingy
I Plan to Stick Around

Throttle or not  - why does it matter to an end user if you can't feel it?

I would care less whether Bell's throttling or not. At least it doesn't affect me as an end user. To some people, caps don't matter - would it matter if you had unlimited caps but couldn't even game? (I guess, unless you're a huge BT fan or watches Netflix)

What I'm trying to get to is that it seems that rogers is just leaving their customers in the dust. Thank god Bell started offering service to where I live 2 month before this capping started.

Also I believe it's been indicated by Teksavvy techs on dslreport that Rogers do throttle cable reselling. Even Bell throttles whole sale lines, but Teksavvy just gets around it via MLPPP. 

And the SMC modem in bridge modem also drops packets. It's just a **bleep**ty modem, but it's required for DOCSIS 3, unless you go through to trouble of buying your own and convincing a tech to add it to the network.

Ressy

@simingy wrote:

What I'm trying to get to is that it seems that rogers is just leaving their customers in the dust. Thank god Bell started offering service to where I live 2 month before this capping started.

Also I believe it's been indicated by Teksavvy techs on dslreport that Rogers do throttle cable reselling. Even Bell throttles whole sale lines, but Teksavvy just gets around it via MLPPP. 

And the SMC modem in bridge modem also drops packets. It's just a **bleep**ty modem, but it's required for DOCSIS 3, unless you go through to trouble of buying your own and convincing a tech to add it to the network.

Nothing of the sort has been stated.  Rogers does NOT throttle Teksavvy.  If they did, then the Teksavvy links at the Rogers POIs wouldn't be experiencing such heavy congestion.

Rogers does however want to begin throttling in June or July?  However I do see people going to the CRTC over this.

simingy
I Plan to Stick Around

Ressy

Thats also from 3 years ago.  Before the 2009 CRTC ITMP decision which stated that no ISP could throttle time-sensitive applications without prior approval.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2009/2009-657.htm

#123 - 127

Its been stated several times that Rogers doesn't (currently) throttle Teksavvy.  Its quite obvious when you run a p2p download.. Shortly after switching to Teksavvy I downloaded one of the free Khan Academy Torrents ( http://www.khanacademy.org/ ), and it was obvious there was no throttling being done.

gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around

Ressy you are correct, popped my Teksavvy cable modem tonight, ( 15 mins ago ) and the first thing i did was load up 35 downloads on my p2p and logged into wow, sure my latency was horrible but guess what, i never once disconnected.