Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

@simingy

Bell sure does care about caps. They also have lower caps, and higher maximum usage charges.

Anyways, for the last week or so, Rogers had disabled DPI in my area (Torrents going fast, WoW not disconnecting).

Seems they re-enabled it yesterday. World of Warcraft disconnecting again. Torrents going super slow.

I think it was just a tease. To make me jealous of other countries and how they actually have quality internet service providers.

If you cannot handle throttling properly, you shouldn't be allowed to throttle at all.

I can't wait to get TekSavvy. It's coming soon. Good luck with the CRTC, Rogers.

Bludragon11011
I've Been Here Awhile

So the reason why I am posting here is because I want to let everyone else know the BS I have been through with rogers. I am on the 25Mbps package paying almost $100 after rental and taxes. Now I purchased Starcraft 2 and started the download. Boy was I surprised when I saw 74 KB/s download rate and a 3 week time estimate. I called rogers to find out the problem and was informed that their WIRELESS N GATEWAY has issues routing the information causing a massive reduction in speeds. I was told to bring it back and get a new one. I did that and got it back home, excited to download and play. Well was I surprised to see the exact same speeds… I called rogers back and was passed around a few times before one tech support agent said everything looks fine and got me to check the speed test on their website. Well sure the speed test said I can download at 25Mbps or around 3MB/s.

They told me I needed to book a support call, I did and waited the week to hear the tech say nothing was wrong and he can’t see why the download is at that speed. I asked if they throttle and he informed me he was not sure and to call support. After 2 hours on the phone I finally got someone who could confirm they in fact do throttle any traffic they “DEEM” to be peer-to-peer. I asked them what the traffic is cut down to and he informed me when throttled you are reduced down to 87KB/s….. WTF really..?? That’s inane….

So after calming myself down I told him that my download was from Blizzard, and they are now providing downloads p2p to reduce strain on their server. He replied back with “well there is nothing we can do, this is policy and will never change”. So I then asked him about the run around a week prior, getting told about the **bleep** build in router to the wireless N and he said they have never had this problem and does not know why he said that.

So that just pissed me off even more and I decided to call TechSavy. They offer a 5Mbps package (Still way below what I need to download game, (now most at 6 gigs are more)). Well I was informed they are getting Cable service in Barrie, Ontario in the next few month, (I got excited) BUT, they then told me they are using ROGERS cable lines and are in talks with them. So after asking if they will throttle, they said they have to follow the TOS and throttling policy put out by rogers… I was then informed that most of the lines in Ontario used by TechSavy are ROGERS and therefore throttled.

I called the CRTC and asked what the policy was on offering these HUGE download speeds and not allowing customers to even come close to that. They informed me the ISP’s can throttle but they are talking with rogers, they say they cannot tell customer you can down at …/s but not actually allow those speeds. I told them the package I was on and was informed I should change my package. They told me the highest package you will ever need is their Express, and only because there is nothing between the Lite and Express. The Lite and 3/mbps is slower than the throttled speed.

So after again speaking with a rep at rogers I asked him why I am paying almost $100 to view a webpage .001 seconds faster than I could with express, he said I am getting the proper speeds I just can’t download anything that fast from ANY other PEER source. Does this not sound like a speech you would hear from a used car dealer???

Why can’t rogers just grow some balls and give customers who are willing to pay $100 a month the speeds they are paying for.

OP: After hearing my rant, you can better understand what rogers is doing. When blizzard updated you are now constantly getting P2P traffic within wow. Even if it is minimal, rogers still takes it as p2p, along with downloads of their games. So even though Blizzard is not updating while you play, rogers kills the connection. The amount of work that would be involved in figuring out exactly which packets are which, and only allowing those over other P2P transfers is too much for them. I can’t see them doing anything about it. In my experiences with rogers, they care little about their customers besides the $$$ they get from us. Unless they remove all throttling and allow people to get the true speeds they are paying for I don’t believe it will ever happen.\

*edit*

P.S to the other post a few up. Bell is just as bad, High rates, low caps. Altho they only throttle at 100kbps......

PLEASE BRING A GOOD ISP INTO BARRIE!!!!!

*edit*

I also forgot to add that with the recent (encryption) on bit torrent websites. rogers is now throttling any encrypted transfers. Which again slows down most, if not all online gaming.

Phorx
I've Been Around

@Ressy wrote:

I promised you all that I'd file my response by today.

Here it is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9038867/Rogers/Rogers%20ITMP%20Complaint%20March%2029%202011.pdf

That response is a thing of beauty.  I hope that the CRTC can act quickly on this!

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I can't take credit for all of it. I set up a Google Doc, and had about 10 people work on it randomly in the space of a week. Writing, editing, clarifying.

I also hope that the CRTC acts quickly on this.
Patr1
I Plan to Stick Around

I just finished reading the document and it's a tremendous work!  Your team deserves mega kudos for showing us how 'little' guys can utilize the system just like 'them'.   And yes, it would be nice if the CRTC moved on this issue and avoided further tarnishing of their already lusterless image.

Mis
I've Been Around

That letter to the CRTC was a thing of beauty, and I want to say thank you for all your efforts.  I was having problems with WoW since late January, (and I'm not convinced that my problems after the big 4.0.3 patch came out weren't also related) and had a) done all the things Blizz recommends when you're having problems, b) given up playing for a while, c) upgraded my router, d) had Rogers tell me that my internet connection was fine and that I should contact Blizzard.  In the light of what I've read since your complaint was picked up by the major geek websites, that last is particularly hilarious.  Being only moderately geeky, I mostly just sighed and suffered and didn't play.  But then I saw an article at Geeks are Sexy and VINDICATION!

So thanks so much for making me realize that I should have looked around, in this forum and the Blizz one, to find out that it wasn't just me -before giving up the way Rogers wanted me to.  Thanks for **bleep** and moaning at the top of your lungs to everyone who didn't want to hear you.  Because shortly before the end of March, WoW became playable again for me, and I can only assume that the widespread exposure of this problem had something to do with it.  Because whatever they are claiming about only throttling during P2P is bunk and we all know it.

So, I hope that I'm not jinxing myself by posting this, and I hope that everyone else also has their Rogers/WoW issues get better, and again,

Thanks.

Dose
I've Been Around

Yeah, I've been noticing serious throttling for about 2-3 weeks now, maybe minor before that but hadn't really noticed, now I can't even play my favourite online games without having to stop because of this **bleep** (gone through 2 modems and an internet tech). Customers are paying for internet NOT throttling it's an unfunny joke that it hasn't been fixed yet I guess all we can do until they get their head out of their **bleep** is to just watch the useless mouthbreather that is the community manager post vague posts that are ultimately not productive and just take up room.

ubergoober
I've Been Here Awhile

Perhaps you should all go outside and do physical activity instead of playing World Of Warcraft.

RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

Cause that has everything to do with consumers wanting what they pay for, right?

ubergoober
I've Been Here Awhile

Tell that to Blizzard. The game is boring now and has been for a while. Anyone still playing must be oblivious to the existance of other good games, Rift took a lot of players, SWTOR will take whatever is left.