Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhawk
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

So the response is to just cut and paste the same letter as in the link.......monkey's with keyboards could do better than that.

Forbiddence
I've Been Around

So Rogers admits to be in the worng, yet they aren't hiding out any compensation? I dont know how to feel about getting **bleep** service for the same price. So a total of 8 months of **bleep** service charged at full price. Thanks Rogers for being a company that cares for the customers. I called today and was told they are going to send out sorry letters....really... Just wanna say Thanks again....mmmhmmm 3 more months of faboulous service.

Alus
I've Been Here Awhile

As usual I have nothing constructive to add due to severe anger and hatred.... but as far as I'm concerened Rogers can shove their 'sorry letters' up their sorry **bleep**ing **bleep**.  

Pisidan
I Plan to Stick Around

Funny how they throttle p2p yet the imternet is all p2p they decide what we can see or do..do I see censorship?? Also if they know what to throttle that means they are looking at my data y packet sniffing whoch by all rights is a invasion of privacy and teck illegal funny canadians r finally seeing how much control these compqnies truly have..ppl now are realizing they also own the crtc formed to protect us from this..i suggest u all sign the meter petion at openmedia.ca lets try our best to end the dictatorship of rogers and the other big 2 before it becomes a cuba or russia!!
Darkpaw
I Plan to Stick Around

"...do I see censorship..."

Kinda.  They're not really doing Deep Packet Inspection for "censorship".  They're doing it because they also sell conventional services (ie: cable, video store rentals) and video-on-demand.  With customers chosing to use companies outside Rogers (like Netflix) instead of Rogers' services, the best thing they can do to control it is to make using these extra companies unbearable for the consumer.  Make it so bad to use Netflix that the customer will come back to Rogers on demand, for example.  This is indeed, against the regulation of the CRTC (ITMP may only be used to control "congestion", which Rogers has never proven existed, and in fact, by currently marketing their "speed boost technology", flies directly in the face of the problems they're trying to state exist).

It should be blatantly obvious to just about everyone that Rogers is doing this to control customer use and keep afloat their traditional services.  It is also a blatant conflict-of-interest that a media provider is also allowed to be an Internet Service Provider.  Yet the CRTC allows it.  Why?  Because Rogers owns the CRTC (somewhat).  The executives on the board at the CRTC are ex-executives of Rogers and Bell.  Welcome to Canada...home of the oligopoly.

Read this post while you can....it's the truth, and Rogers doesn't like the truth, so it will no doubt be removed by morning.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Glad I read it tonight then. Of course someone will be on here tomorrow editing and deleting comments instead on answering questions and trying to help out customers. Trying to get an answer to your concerns from someone at Rogers is like trying to take candy from a baby!

gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around

i do wish to switch internet providers away from Rogers, what is the recommended provider?

Should i stay away from all cable providers totally since apaprently all cable providers have to go through rogers?  I did speak to bell and the fastest i can get with dsl is 8 Mbps where as i'm paying rogers for 25 Mbps

RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

Stay away from DSL IMO. DSL is far inferior to cable.
You have to remember all DSL providers go through Bell, which openly throttles resellers.

As for actual ISPs, Teksavvy is a popular choice. I currently have Distributel (DSL, was unable to get cable) and it's garbage. $50 or something for 5mb. DSL connection is constantly dropping, and since my roommate pays for it, he refuses to investigate it as it'll cost $80 for a tech, which shouldn't even matter considering we had Bell for a month and they came out and "fixed" everything up.
gabbie1977
I Plan to Stick Around

yes i agree i have to go through a cable isp, but will i still run into the same problem i am now with running a single torrent file causing wow not to play at all since all activity will be running through the rogers network? Or do these other ISP's such as distributel or teksavvy have full access to what they offer?

Edit: i have to say, the most attractive offer i have seen so far is from Distributel offering a combo pack for cable internet with voip, is their cable internet just as bad as their dsl?

simingy
I Plan to Stick Around

Bashing Bell when you're lagging beyond belief with Rogers, awesomeness imo.

If you look a few pages back I recently cancelled Rogers and switched to Bell.

27ms ping consistent ANY time of the day, INCLUDING when I'm bit-torrenting @ 500+KB/s

I'm not saying Bell is awesome or anything - they're probably throttling me anyway, but as long as I can game, and as long as I can BT at a reasonable speed, I'm fine. I paid for 16Mb service, and if they HAVE to throttle the BT to 500, that's ok with me.

And yes, I know the equipment Bell uses like the back of my hand, and I trust my own products.