Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

2 months after having the contact information, and 3 weeks of Rogers employees lying to me that Rogers was in contact with Blizzard, Rogers has finally deigned to contact Blizzard for assistance.

Blizzard rep:

"Thankfully, I just received an update that your ISP should be in contact with our Network Operations Center on Monday. Unfortunately, I will not be available to post anymore updates, but I am sure another forum representative will keep things current.

My fingers are crossed for you all. :)"

conjor
I Plan to Stick Around

The sky must be falling Ressy... Can it be true?

UselessPug
I've Been Around

Note: Please don't get too hopeful about this 'fix'. I was having latency issues as well, starting in early march this year. I hadn't been having any issues before this point. I was getting 600-3k ping rates consistently. I went into windows firewall and found multiple exceptions for WoW's patcher and client as well as Starcraft 2. On an inkling I deleted all of these exceptions (around eight for each), and to my surprise I found the latency issues much more manageable. They still weren't perfect, but now they're around 150 ping total. I imagine the multiple entries are from the launcher updating its version, and getting a new firewall permission. In any case I'm pretty sure it's completely coincidental, but it's something to try at least. The multiple entries have been there for months and months and hadn't been an issue until early march.
Fenorie
I've Been Around

Another person here victim of this.  Roommates just recently switched us over to Rogers Ultimate (sadly TekSavvy cable is not available here yet and Bell apparently feels Woodbridge is 'rural' and does not offer high-sppeed here so we have little option) and ever since we switched I cannot stay connected in WoW. Same setup, only difference is the connection (which is FASTER) and now suddenly I can't pay wow? Great. Glad I didn't cancel my (slow, but at least works) TekSavvy DSL yet, I'll let them keep their 'highspeeds' and I'll suffer with the slow ones until I can get a real ISP out here, namely TekSavvy cable.

/signs on the disgruntled list

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm curious as to how Rogers is going to play this off to the CRTC.

CRTC has requesting an answer regarding throttling time-sensitive data (ie. games, VOIP, etc), which is against the Telecommunications Act.

Considering that Rogers has already admitted to the fault being on their end, I'd like to see how this will play out.

Rogers just seems to play off CRTC fines like a "Cost of Doing Business", so it probably wont have much of an effect.

Good Luck, Rogers.

Jonesey
I Plan to Stick Around

thank u ressy for everything.

FYI rogers....your becomming more american everyday careing about money and not ur consumers.

ferrus
I've Been Around

This could be argued to be malicious on their part.  There are a large number of users who cannot participate in a service they are paying for, and is therefore interfering in commerce.  This is causing Blizzard to lose revenue from subscribers, and potentially future subscriptions as the players may end up leaving for other games as a result, or simply browsing the net (seeing Rogers inserted advertising), or go offline altogether and watch some TV (Rogers Cable, pay per view).

Sure, that's probably not the intent, but that's what is probably happening as a direct result.  This is not much different that say, a postal employee deciding that your latest copy of Maxim is just a catalog, and can just show up next week with some other junk mail. 

Point is, this is a direct violation of CRTC consumer protection, and NOT just limited to the consumers who subscribe to the service directly, but to all who would have their consumer interests interrupted as a result, meaning Blizzard and their advertisers.

Quick and dirty solution until someone takes actions to have this resolved (Which should be Blizzard as their revenue is being lost) is to go find a free VPN provider.  There's a few out there, run one of their clients while you're playing, better than nothing.

redubd
I've Been Here Awhile

Nice to see that nothing has really changed. Logged on for a couple games of HoN tonight and boom, unplayable for me, just an incredible lag-fest where I would literally lose control of my character for minutes on end, often times running directly into the enemy team!!  Fun times

So there is a "fix" in the works for WoW, but how about people who play other games and are affected by this, because this issue is not only related to WoW.

How about new games that come out?

Where will this end?

Either way, Teksavvy is going to be my new ISP as of friday.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@redubd

Just a warning, Teksavvy is extremely slow in Toronto & Vancouver right now due to congestion (ie, I'm paying for 15/1, I'm getting 1/1 - but WOW is still playable).

Toronto's POIs are waiting on upgrades right now - waiting on Rogers to complete them, which is SUPPOSED to happen within the next 2 weeks or so.

subl
I've Been Here Awhile

So tomorrow the 22nd is D-Day for Rogers' response to the CRTC, correct?

Any way of staying up to date or will the news be coming to us? I'm really interested.