Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fdgsdfgs
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Few problems, wowtunneler seems to get my account flagged by blizzard when i use it. It works but having to keep dealing with a flagged account is very annoying. Another problem is that some of us are stuck with rogers, i cant even get the only other isp bell even if i wanted too as it is not offered in my area.

Why are there throttles on internet with caps already so rip off low? Give me back my 5mb 512kb connection with no caps or throttle...

bobbyheadshot
I've Been Here Awhile

When will Rogers ever fix this problem? It SICKENS me to see how they treat their clients. There are a lot of WoW players like me that have no choice but to use Rogers because of availability. Horrible services.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Its now confirmed.

The user-driven Nagle on/off switch is in 4.1 Public Test Realm as of 10 hrs ago, and will be live for all users in under a month.

conjor
I Plan to Stick Around

@Ressy

I predict another response like what Reggie gave.

"We had a fix and we were going to implement it. Really. But Blizzard changed stuff. And things."

ssauve
I'm Here A Lot

Sorry, but what is the post saying:

"The user-driven Nagle on/off switch is in 4.1 Public Test Realm..."

referring to?  Is there a fix coming for this issue?

Me and some friends in Waterloo are basically unable to play WoW during peak hours at all.  Latency is fine earlier in the day, but after 5-6pm latency spikes from 30 to about 500 with spikes upwards of 5-10k ms. We can't arena, or raid, or do anything really.  This is all with the Rogers "extreme" 25MBPS line.

WoW takes like 10-15kbs in bandwidth up/down (sometimes higher down when loading in and whatnot).  It's pathetic that we are still having issues with this...  Definitely going to be switching ISPs when I move.  Never thought I would migrate to Bell, sigh.

Broncin
I've Been Here Awhile

I`m glad I`m not the only one with this problem. This just started happeneing to me few weeks ago. Constant Lag and D-Cing. Its really annoying and fustrating.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@ssauve

I haven't a clue whether Rogers is actually working on fixing this or not.  I hope they actually are, but with the responses I've gotten from their forum agents outright lying to me about certain things, I wouldn't be surprised if they're sitting on their butts doing nothing, laughing, and raking in the money.

I'm just informing Rogers of packet structure/behaviour changes for WoW.

Essentially, Nagles changes how often the game engine, and the game server communicate, and how often they require a 'yes I got this packet' response. 

More communication + less buffering of packets = less latency in-game.

Less communication + more buffering of packets = more latency in-game.

In 4.0.1 Blizzard made it so the game engine communicated more with the server.  This didn't trigger packet shaping. 

In Oct/Nov Rogers implemented a change in their systems which messed up several programs royally, and their systems began to pick wow traffic up as p2p (along with many other programs), and they then began throttling them.

Last month, when 4.0.6 released, Blizzard reverted this change, as 1% of their userbase experienced increased latency due to unsupported connection types (wireless, satellite, etc).  (This is because Blizzard cares about their customers, unlike Rogers).

This must be the change RogersReggie was referring to that messed up their 'fix' that was in the works.

In 4.1 (which should release anywhere from 1-4 weeks), Blizzard is making it so users can enable/disable Nagle's based on whatever will give them better latency in-game.

IF Rogers scrapped the entire previous fix, instead of just adding onto it like I requested that they do, users will continue to complain about throttling after 4.1 releases, as most will be reverting to the previous connection type, due to it getting the user better latency.

ssauve
I'm Here A Lot

Gotcha, thanks for the reply Ressy. I've actually been trying out a VPN service and it seems to work for now. Pathetic though, having to pay for a service to get decent ping for a game, when I'm already paying for a "25mb" line.

Here's to hoping they fix this, but with how long this issue has been going on I'm definitely not hopeful.
Jonesey
I Plan to Stick Around

i was doing great after 11 last night no higher than 120ms for both. i still find at time when it even says my latency is good my abilitys in game lag or do nothing at all. is this also due to throttleing?

Darkpaw
I Plan to Stick Around

Scary.  I have to admit, I was just called tonight from Bell trying to sell me on FiberOP.  They had a great price....for THREE months....then it leaps to way higher than I'm paying for Rogers.  It didn't include a Hi-Def receiver.  In fact, the **bleep** that called me couldn't tell me the difference between standard-def and hi-def...and he was trying to sell me on switching.

Rogers is awful, but apparently there are worse places to be.  If anyone from Rogers tries to quote me on this, I will flat-out deny it and still say you suck, FYI.