Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

I've had multiple "back and forths" with Rogers regarding this issue over the past 7 weeks.

Emails back and forth.

Live Support back and forth.

Tweets back and forth.

Finally on Friday I didn't get told "There's no problem. Blizzard needs to fix their game.", I got told "Please check back on the community forums for updates on this issue."

I responded with "I've checked the forums everyday for the last seven weeks hoping something would have gotten done. No luck yet, though." No response back.

It does sound like they might (finally) be getting off their butts and get this fixed.

This, however, does not change my views of Rogers. They're a terrible company with terrible customer service and terrible services.  I understand that the customer isn't always right, but we're not always wrong, either.

My internet is already off-contract, I will be switching to TekSavvy the moment they offer cable in my area.

My cell phone is off contract in September. Mobilicity is my destination. Better than what I get now at $20/mth cheaper.

jhawk
I Plan to Stick Around

@ KingNerd. But although Teksavvy isn't throttling now, they likely will at some point in the future. The way I understand it, Teksavvy uses Bell and CRTC said its ok to shape the traffic of anyone who uses Bell/Rogers infrastructure. I'm understanding that correctly right?
Turntables
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey, i tried out "wowtunnels". With the eastern server, im getting extremly low pings (50ms) which is perfect.

I do endgame content at a HM lvl so latency is very important, and i can say so far this seems to be working.

It's about 6 bucks a month, but im expecting that this should be fixed by months end.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

@jhawk

Bell does, unfortunately, throttle TekSavvy's DSL lines. However, Bell's DPI devices are not afflicted with the same issues that Rogers is facing.

TekSavvy Cable, on the other hand, is not throttled at all. Thus they are not afflicted by this issue.

This issue is solely with Rogers and their devices.

Also, TekSavvy is cheaper and provides unlimited usage (downloads / uploads) for their services.

zmttoxics
I've Been Here Awhile

After spending a year on Acanac DSL, I have to say, there are way worse things then rogers cable. Acanac support breaks down like this...

-Report.

-Acanac opens ticket and replys with "Try connecting your modem directly to your computer."

-Acanac closes ticket and nothing ever happens.

I have gone whole weekends with out internet. There is no Teksavvy cable here, but I am so done with 3rd party ISPs and lack luster support. Rogers is a freaking GOD compared to Acanac. Teksavvy might be great, but eventually CRTC will get their way and there will be no reason to be on Teksavy.

cow
I'm Here A Lot

Well i have the competition coming today to install a connection.  I have had it with this issue, when i  called in yesterday i was told i need to connect to rogers support via my PC.  Once i did the support tech on the phone told me the tech who was now connected to my PC would take care of the rest(he could not get off the phone fast enough)  So i tell "jimmy" the tech now connnected to my PC my case number and ask for an update.  He looks in a says the engineers looked into the issue and there is nothing wrong with the rogers network.  So basically the problem I am complaining about does not exsist, he did not look at any settings, check anything......... just i must be wrong.  So i called customer care to express my dissatisfaction with Rogers services.  They seemed to be ready to wave my cancellation fees for the remainder of my contract with very little complaining.  So as a customer thier tech support makes me feel i am not wanted as a customer,ustomer care is following the same lines.  I am still a customer and will be filling out as many survey's as i can find "very dissatisfied".... not that Rogers cares they will just be happy to see me go.  I will still come back here and update as to if my problem goes away when i use my new connection.

Good Bye.

jhawk
I Plan to Stick Around

@KingNerd. Thx for explaining the distinction.
Caboose
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm also having this exact same problem. My latency in WoW is mostly unplayable, making it difficult to do anything. Immediately after closing WoW, and having an unbearable lag, I loaded up L4D2. My connection was perfectly fine. Clearly this is not an issue with my internet.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Caboose

Rogers is targetting specific games, throttling them under some mistaken notion that they utilize p2p.

It is a Rogers packet shaping issue, plain & simple.  They've admitted it.

Its getting annoying that its taking this long to fix a single game, let alone the OTHER games they also have to fix...

Wheres our update?

Caboose
I Plan to Stick Around

@Ressy

Having read this entire thread, I pretty well understand the problem and why it's happening. Im just adding my name to the list of unhappy users to (hopefully) get this issue resolved faster.