Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Turntables
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

I just wanted to add that last night i decided to utalize a tunneling service and i did not recieve the lag spikes, so 100% sure theyre throttling World of Warcraft.

I am not planning on paying 5 dollars extra each month for this service, so unless Rogers fixes this by this week, my 100 dollar plan is going over to Bell.

Turntables
I Plan to Stick Around

Technical support seems to be aware of the issue now and are forwarding people to this:

I can definitely help you with that. The Rogers Network Operations team is fully aware of the WoW (World of Warcraft) issue users are facing with random disconnections, latency etc. Please go to <http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/557>  for reference. Please email forumsupport@rci.rogers.com with your full name, home address, and a description of the issue and we will pass the information to the approprate group who is looking after this matter.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers might be aware of the issues and so they should since the issues have been going on for months now! So far, Rogers has done diddly squat so being aware of the issue is really not worth spit!

cow
I'm Here A Lot

I have been having this exact issue.  They are throttling the port that Warcraft is running on and when i call in tech support directs me to test my speed.  The speed test is running on port 8500 which is not throttled, wow runs on 3725, 3724, 4200.

I only lucked out and got a tech advisor who was honest with me and directed me here.  So right now i am looking for a new ISP and will cancel my whole account TV/internet $150 per month as soon as customer service opens.

Vanner67
I've Been Around

Has anyone e-mailed forumsupport@rci.rogers.com with name and address and such about WoW and gotten a response? I just had a chat with a rogers live rep who directed me here instantly about the issue - I have since sent off an e-mail but im curiouse to know what they are doing/not doing about it. If i get a response ill update later.

Turntables
I Plan to Stick Around

I did email them earlier today. I will post an update tomorrow if i recieve a responce.

rahba
I Plan to Stick Around

What VPN services are people using to get around this problem?

I've tried a few, and some SSH tunnels, and the problem is still there.  At this point my only option is Bell, and I hate them more.  If this persists I'll have no choice though.

jhawk
I Plan to Stick Around

Still occurring although I didn't get much time online this wkend.  I will say it was better this time than at other times.

zmttoxics
I've Been Here Awhile

For what it is worth... For the first time since switching back to rogers I was able to host a Modern Warfare 2 (pc) match last night. The last time I did, I obviously won the fast connection lottery but when the game started it was a total lag fest. Last night, everyone had yellow or green bars and it was a rockin good time. So perhaps they are improving on this. 

I am on the extreme plus, and while P2P stuff is just awful, everything else seems fine and I appear to be getting the full 25MB.

Kacey
I'm Here A Lot

@Vanner67

I started out by emailing them.  First response was "there was no problem" (go away).  2nd email they told me to stop using torrents (go away).  3rd email was "we are aware of the problem" (go away).  And finally, the 4th email sent me to these forums (in other words, stop emailing us and go away).

The weekend was another write-off.  Throttled from the moment I logged on until I was disconnected.  I find it strange that I always get disconnected around 9:30pm every Friday and Saturday.  So, in addition to throttling online gaming, they are intentionally disconnecting people as well....Brilliant!!

I can't believe this has not been addressed yet.  I guess when you have a monopoly there is absolutely no incentive to actually fix problems. 

Dare I ask the kind administrators of this forum whether a fix is actually going to happen or are you just waiting for everyone to switch their service?