Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
druiz
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

I agree with Kacey, if Rogers has no plans to fix this, just tell us. We'll be angry but we can finally go somewhere so we can enjoy our game and then you don't have to worry about us.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Curious, but it has been a week since anyone from Rogers has even commented on this thread. They are on here everyday and show no reluctance in editing and deleting comments, but when it comes to customer concerns, I wonder how much they really care!

conjor
I Plan to Stick Around

Another laggy night playing WoW brought to you by our *cough* good *cough* friends at Rogers.

Every day you delay you lose more and more customers.

simingy
I Plan to Stick Around

Did rogers make setting changes?

15 min ago both me and our MT disconnected. He's in Waterloo, ON, and I'm in Kanata. Throughout the night we experienced lagginess from 200-500ms. We DCed at the exact same time (JUST as phase 3 Maloriak heroic started lol)

Right after the disconnect the ping stablelized @ 30-70ms. 

Wonder if they've made changes or simply just reset something.

Rogers, FYI, Bell is coming tomorrow to install DSL @ my house. You've got a month to fix it, after that, I'm cancelling.

Exo
I've Been Here Awhile

My latency problems began about a week or so ago, and it really does make raiding awful. I frequently disconnect when zoning in our out of instances, and sometimes the game doesn't register actions for 3 or 4 seconds. I am in Toronto playing on a server in a New York datacenter, and traceroutes confirm that the latency increases from about 30ms to 100-200ms on hops to US servers.

Would love an update from Rogers, or to hear from someone who was experiencing these latency problems and has had them resolved (without switching to another ISP or using some kind of VPN). If I need to invest in a VPN or switch ISP's I'd really like to know soon, because this really sucks.

jhawk
I Plan to Stick Around

I figured I will come in here everyday to post and hopefully someone from the Rogers team will have something for us.  Also your adds for your "speedboost" technology are a slap in the face of this issue as WE are the ones you're throttling to allow others to watch Justin Beiber videos on Youtube.  Thanks for that. </sarcasm>

Friedchicken
I Plan to Stick Around

I suggest everyone experiencing this issue to open a ticket with Roger's support. They can't ignore hundreds of support requests for this issue like they can posts on a forum. You can also escalate your ticket through their system to force their hand.

The latency at home now is worse than ever, last night I experienced my first disconnect and constant moments of "running in place".

RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

While I definately encourage opening tickets, I don't agree with your logic. The ticketing system for any ISP is terrible. They're forced to assign tickets based on "best fit", meaning if you're experiencing lag in a game, they're either going to code it as "Slow throughput" or something of the sort. Then, if Rogers is anything like the ISP I used to work at, the backend system will pick up the ticket and run tests on the line to determine the signal strength (which directly effects the speed). Seeing as how the internet connection works, it's just the way the packets are being routed and the fact that Rogers throttling systems drop the occational packet, the system wil determine there is no problem with the connection and close the ticket. Reason why this happens is because their system doesn't run tests on the entire line, it just tests it to your modem from their node or whatever. The DPI system and whatnot aren't located between their node and your modem, no dropped packets are detected (chances are, they'd probably exclude the dropped packets anyway as it was their system dropping them) and again, no problem found.

I've had similar experiences last year on my Rogers connection. When I first got it installed, we did have signal problems. Only, the signal problems only popped up once in a while and didn't usually last very long. So even when Rogers escalated the ticket, it'd only run tests at certain intervals (unless it differes from the ISP I used to work at), always missing the actual problem and so nothing was done until I called in when the problem was actually occuring and forced their hand. 

But on the flip side, that definately was a signal problem, not a "lag" issue. I called up tech support once and showed them exactly what happened on WoW as well was BitTorrent with/without using a VPN. The tech agent essentially said "Too bad, not supported, deal with it".

But yeah, I don't mean to discourage you, but that's essentially what's going to happen unless a huge number of people call in within a short period of time complaining about the same problem. And even so, the agents you speak with actually have to escalate the problem (creating a ticket is not the same as escalating one) so that the people who track such tickets notice the trend and forward the issue off to the correct people to handle it. 

And that all counts on the fact that Rogers hasn't already decided that the system will stay as is, because that's sure what it looks like now, what with it taking 3 months for them to actually respond to the issue, and another 3 to get to this point..

Friedchicken
I Plan to Stick Around

I work for an ISP, so I know what you mean. However if they close the ticket, you just keep reopening it. I have a technician coming out tonight to "check the line" because the signal noise is "too high".. I know that wont fix anything, but I'll go through their troubleshooting steps so that the issue can be properly identified.

If everyone does this, then obvisously there is an issue they cannot ignore.

You can also register a complaint on your ticket and have it escalated through:

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/contactus

Preferably, we can all get to this step:

Is Rogers Ombudsman the final level of review?

You can refer your complaint to the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS).

CCTS is an agency independent of the telecommunications industry, whose mandate is to resolve complaints of individual and small business retail customers about their telecommunications services. If you have a complaint about your services, including local or long distance telephone service, wireless telephone service, or Internet service, you must first try to resolve it directly with your service provider. If you have done so and have been unable to reach a satisfactory resolution, CCTS may be able to help you, free of charge.

To learn more about CCTS, you may visit its website at www.ccts-cprst.ca or call toll-free at 1-888-221-1687.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

Yawn. Same disconnects still happening.

I doubt I would be so infurated with Rogers if they actually had someone helping rather than just saying "We're looking into it".

6 weeks is a long time to be "looking into" one of your key services not working properly.

I've been told by RogersElise that "It has been escalted. We're working on it."

Escalate it higher. The current level of escalation isn't working.