cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Wow's getting deprioritized by Rogers (tracerts/pathpings are clean, all ports are open/forwarded, no p2p running on any machine for at least 30 minutes before attempting to run wow), resulting in increased latency and dc'ing in wow.

Assuming this issue has something to do with Rogers' change to their terms last month..

I also assume Rogers filters are picking wow up as p2p incorrectly (like many other ISPs did) after Blizzard changed their communication methods/packet structure so they can do a Repair on Demand feature where instead of the game crashing, wow just downloads & streams the file from the server to the user, and the user can keep playing without seeing anything wrong.

Attempting to call Tech Support results in 1 of 3 of the following:
1. "Its not our problem, its the game."  Its not.  Other users in Ontario play fine (I can play fine at home in Toronto, but I dc constantly at my sister's in Ottawa).
2. "We don't support gaming." Fine, update your website to show that you can't game on any of your packages from Rogers Lite and above.
3. "Sorry, I can't transfer you to a supervisor." Oh... REALLY???

Really getting tired of the runaround now.

So far this affects London, Waterloo, parts of Toronto, and parts of Ottawa.  There are multiple posts in the WoW Tech support forums regarding issues with Rogers & WoW.  Here's one which now recommends tunneling to avoid using Rogers hops to actually be able to play the game:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1568009046

Who can I talk to to get this fixed? 

Will it be fixed by Rogers, or will Rogers just update their site so that it says you can't game on it, so people will KNOW that Rogers is poor for gaming (I was already suspecting that, as I can't play & host CoD:Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 without massive latency, without ANYTHING else running - its random who hosts a game, its not like I'm deliberately hosting or anything.)

Is this even fixable, or should I as a regular Tech Support poster on the wow forums start recommending to other WoW users using Rogers to switch to an ISP that actually will listen to its users?

Thoughts? Comments? Anything?

***edited labels***

578 REPLIES 578

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

I know this may come as a shock to some, but I'm still getting issues connecting to WoW.

Seems Rift is more a Saturday thing. Probably more aggressive DPI due to more people home and using the internet. Saturday is always worse for the disconnects.

Skype video is every night.

@RogersErin

C'mon now, girl. How long has it been? There's gotta be some kind of news.

Seriously.

Alus
I've Been Here Awhile

I have nothing constructive to add... too frustrated... too angry.  But I'm still here, still having problems and still very unhappy with Rogers.

Danthepianist
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been following this thread for a while, this is Shaquille from the WoW forums. Thanks for the heads up about the forum account, Ressy.

I really have no idea what to do anymore. Bell doesn't offer bandwidth we need in my building. Teksavvy doesn't have service here. So Rogers, you've got me by the proverbial balls. Nothing is getting done. I'm still paying for the best service you offer and lagging like I'm on 56k. Bravo.

Patr1
I Plan to Stick Around

I'd just like to add that I commiserate with all you WoW players.  I'm monitoring this thread and the insult of the Rogers' silence is appalling.  

I will not be silent.

Ressy

Interesting.  Seems my 2nd CRTC complaint was accepted.

March 22nd to respond.

Come visit me in IRC if you'd like to read it.

Maiel
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm also situated in Barrie, Ontario and I am having the same problem. I've had my router replaced, spoken to respresentitives of Blizzard and gone through all of the steps to make sure that it isn't my connected. I've sent trace routes and dxdiag's but everything is still the same.

rdogs
I've Been Around

Wow...  thanks for posting this message guys.  I was just researching Rogers as I was looking to move to move from Bell to gain more speed coming down (currently I have 6 Mb / sec down, the highest Bell offers in the area).  I was looking at Rogers 25 Mb down package.  I am really just looking for more speed for my VPN into work, but I am also WoW player/raider.  Have been raiding since vanilla. 

While I'd like more speed for my work vpn connection, there is no way I'm risking my wow connection.  😛  I'll keep watching this thread as well... until Rogers fixes wow, I'll stick with Bell.

Ressy
Can we get an update please? Even if its a "I have no update, we're still here."

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Ressy

Thanks again for your patience.

I have no update but I can assure you I'm still looking into this issue.

Smiley Happy

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersErin

This DPI issue is now working full force on Rift and WoW.

Rift requires TCP ports 6520 through 6540.

BTW, You can thank us for our patience, but I don't have any anymore. 🙂

Joelo246
I've Been Here Awhile

I just want to post in solidarity with the many players complaining here.

Rogers current practice is incredibly infuriating and I hope they understand that the longer they refuse to acknowledge this as an issue on their end, the more disgruntled customers they will create who will in turn cause them to lose customers and give them a bad reputation.

The frustrating thing for me after watching this thread for weeks and blizzards forums on the same topic, is that I paid $60 for Starcraft 2 once, and they have millions of players world wide on their games, yet their customer support has been available and responsive at every turn. Yet here I am, paying nearly $150 a month for rogers and happily paying a fortune for extra downloads, yet their staff can't even admit they have an aggressive throttling system that not only shouldn't be throttling downloads in the first place, but is making it so customers cant use completely legitimate services like battlenet.

Come on. 

I'm a diplomatic person. I fundamentally believe that most people are good and want to help, and I have no doubt there are many people on rogers staff who would like to give us answers and help us out, but it seems like the reality is that the people most distant from the front lines of customer service are the ones making the decisions here, and they see extra profitability in throttling downloads as more important than addressing customer issues. Until they wake up and take this issue seriously, the number of angry people dropping rogers will steadily increase.

And this is the problem when a company has a stranglehold on a market. There aren't enough legitimate competitors for many of us to pose a legitimate threat to their revenue. And in turn the company decides it's ok to not treat people's problems with respect. That is what makes me angriest - the fact that so many people have identified the exact issue over and over, with evidence coming from rogers customers throughout Ontario, yet Rogers staff cannot pay its customers enough respect to even show up and give us a legitimate, honest response.

So to all the customer service reps with Rogers, please understand, this is nothing personal, and I understand most of you probably do not have the power to push a fix through on this issue if the managers do not want to listen, but you have to understand that it's incredible frustrating to be doing time sensitive things online and to be randomly booted over and over. Imagine you get home from work and just want to relax and play a game for a couple hours. What rogers is doing is the equivalent of someone flipping your chess board over and spilling all the pieces randomly every time you try to play. We pay a lot of money for our internet and one of the internet's primary functions is to be a source of recreational entertainment. I think it's pretty reasonable for customers to be angry about paying a lot of money for a service and having the service provider actively disrupt one of the primary things you use that service for. So if you're reading this as a staff, please pass on the problem to your managers and higher ups and let them know this is a legitimate widespread problem that is making a lot of customers angry and needs to be addressed with more urgency by Rogers staff if they want customers to believe they are concerned with providing a quality service.

subl
I've Been Here Awhile

It is currently 8:50 AM on a Saturday morning and I don't even have a ping to complain about. I get past the World of Warcraft login screen into the game only to watch everybody run in place until I get disconnected while my latency reads 0ms. Every other game and network application I have access to works fine. This "thottling" practically turns into port blocking when it is in a bad mood.

Once again, tracert to the server comes back clean, this is because the packet inspector doesn't confuse ICMP packets with torrenting (good job!)

@Joelo246 wrote:

Rogers current practice is incredibly infuriating and I hope they understand that the longer they refuse to acknowledge this as an issue on their end, the more disgruntled customers they will create who will in turn cause them to lose customers and give them a bad reputation.

^ This. Believe me, every single one of my friends and coworkers know exactly how I feel about Rogers as an ISP at this point.

Danthepianist
I've Been Here Awhile

Still nothing, eh. This is really getting old. Hopefully Ressie's letter does something.

Friedchicken
I Plan to Stick Around

I am in Toronto and am experiencing the exact same issue reported here. Latency is fine via ICMP, the throttling is causing huge spikes randomly in game.

This has been going on long enough that obviously Rogers no longer values their customer base. They're not going to revert their throttling changes because of their focus on P2P traffic. Thusly, it is time to move to another ISP. I will be breaking my contract and I will NOT be paying a penalty.

Grif
I've Been Here Awhile

I would like to know what "we are looking into it" actually means. what steps have you gone through in order ot get this resolved?

Darkpaw
I Plan to Stick Around
It means that they hope if they ignore it long enough, that customers will just ignore it and live with the problems.

konzelmann
I've Been Around

I have been feeling lately like my WoW lag has gotten noticably worse and then I stumbled accross this thread. 

I was thinking that the problem was just temporary and was being patient, but after reading these posts I'm concerned that it's much bigger than I had assumed.

Please fix the problem before I transfer to Bell, they're always calling me and telling me about all the deals they could give if I transfered to them.

Why would I pay so heavily for high speed internet if it is going to be poor for gaming?

Fix the problem please.

Jonesey
I Plan to Stick Around

I have recently started haveing latency issue also i am in kanata. is this actually gonna get fixed?

Zedonius
I've Been Here Awhile

Me and my brother have been having issues as well which might be related to this.  We are fine just sitting around in a Major city etc. Latency falls to around 110.  We go to a instance (5 man) and we start getting little hickups, like something is preventing data from getting to the blizzard servers.  Tracert shows nothing, but our latency says different. In a 5 man it will jump to 250-300 and spike to 1200 at random, usually when more stuff starts happening.

In raids, its far worse.  Latency will jump to 500 in a raid and spike a lot more often.  This started happening around the middle of feburary and nothing I have done on my end seems to fix it.  Format of 2 computers, totally up to date network drivers.  Both using Virus/Spyware protection with 0 problem theres.  Updated all network drivers as well.  It just started happening and now its a daily thing.  Its exceptionally bad when 2 people are trying to raid in the same grp on the same connection.  Its VERY obvious to me that we are being throttled, cause at times I'm perfectly fine and then my brother starts spiking really really bad and then it switchs. Its feels like we are hitting a wall that sais "Your sending to much data so we will just drop X amount of packets".  Exactly what throttling is.  I can't imagine WoW transmits that much data, that it needs throttling.  Either way, I think its pretty lame that this seems like it will be a problem for awhile.  And like it or not, I bet there are A LOT of people who play wow, who will switch providers just because of something like this, and its probably A LOT more then Rogers thinks.

Zedonius
I've Been Here Awhile
Sry forgot to mention I live in Newfounadland, Canada. Switched from Bell to Rogers because of poor connections in online games... now its the same with Rogers.

Jonesey
I Plan to Stick Around

this is ridiculous! This CLEARLY point the fingers at rogers and they still have nothing SMART to say. You guys are gonna be loseing ALOT of buisness if this terrible custumer service stays this way. Great job keeping your custumers happy you lazy bastards! your CUSTUMERS have done most of the work for you if you read this thread now its left ur your hands and you do nothing!