Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Here's another test I've run, to add to this collection of data:

Currently attempting to log into Mannoroth (12.129.206.130:1119 according to Logs/connection.log) - seeing similar results as all of you, disconnection within the first few seconds to minutes after logging on.

However, I operate a small personal VPN out of a Dallas datacentre which I typically to protect my traffic anytime I'm on public wifi. On a hunch that Rogers shaping policies might be related to the problems, I decided to log into my VPN from my home desktop and see what happens. I am using openVPN on its default port 1194, which is included in the IANA registered port numbers list:

openvpn         1194/tcp   OpenVPN
openvpn 1194/udp OpenVPN

A quick plain-language of how the VPN works is that it establishes a connection between my computer and the VPN host. Once this happens, nearly all network traffic my system generates is encrypted (and thus cannot be inspected) and sent over this VPN connection. When received by the VPN host, it is routed out to the open internet as per usual using NAT (basically, the same technology that your home router uses). Any return traffic is likewise encrypted and sent back from the VPN host to my computer through this VPN connection.

You can think of it as encrypting nearly every bit of traffic my computer sends or receives, and routing it through my system in Dallas.

What happens when I do this, is I can log in flawlessly and stay logged in for as long as necessary without being dropped.

While not absolutely conclusive evidence, it is one more data point in the collection of information this thread contains.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@The_Gecko

VPN does, in fact, work flawlessly. I've also used this work-around to be able to continue to play my games and talk to my wife over Skype.

However, this is unacceptable. I should not have to connect to a VPN to be able to use my connection "normally".

What Rogers, I think, fails to realise that as an ISP they are just to be a "dumb pipe". They should not be torrent shaping, they should not be injecting anything into my webpages, and they definitely should not be redirecting my Server Not Found errors and making money off the advertisment.

Now, it's going to take CRTC intervention (HAHAHA!!) or Gov't intervention to actually get net neutrality. This however, is a fight for another time, which I believe is fast approaching.

Anyways, as I have pointed out a few times in this thread previously, Rogers is violating their own Network Management Policy. They say they do not throttle downloads, which is fabrication. They say they only throttle torrents, which has been proven, time and time again, in this thread. They say that (not in the exact words) that as long as your software utilizes the IANA listed port for that software, it should not be impacted by their DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) hardware and should not be affected, which again has been proven to be false.

This is an ongoing issue starting, from what I have gathered, between late October to mid-November and there is no resolution at all in sight. Keith McArthur (aka RogersKeith) has even acknowledged th at there is a problem. The post is from November 28th, 2010. It is now 3 months later and the problem is only becoming more and more widespread and it is not being fixed.

When Rogers came for the newsgroups,
I remained silent;
I did not use newsgroups.

When they sold our e-mail to Yahoo,
I did not speak out;
I had a GMail account.

When they locked up unlimited connection with a cap,
I remained silent;
I was not a heavy downloader.

Now they come for my games,
and I'm going to shout until my throat bleeds.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I agree it's unacceptable.

However, it's further evidence to support that throttling may be occuring (which I acknowledge is basically a given at this point), and also a possible temporary workaround for anyone with access to a VPN.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The only problem with that, is that Rogers usually makes "temporary workarounds" into "permanent fixes".

So, I'm going to continue yelling at what seems like the wall until I either go blue in the face, TekSavvy gets cable into Brampton, or Rogers fixes it.

I have a strong feeling TekSavvy will be first.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've also already decided to not get Rogers in the future. Im also running a WPN and other work arounds so they cant read WoW and throttle the connection. Hey look, when i run it through a VPN it works great, what are the odds... So basically this confirms it was their unlawful practices. Looks like the Rogers tech also buggered off. It's sort of an addmission there is a problem, or mabey not a problem, and that it wont be addressed. People will find out, Rogers is not for gaming. Rogers is not for gaming now or ever. You cannot do anything advanced on a rogers connection because its throttled so why buy an expensive package?
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Certainly is a sad state of affairs when tunneling your connection through a VPN (and all the extra routing that entails) actually improves reliability - and it isn't because of a temporarily flaky intermediary hop you're avoiding (unless you count Rogers itself as a 'flaky intermediary hop'!)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I know this may come as a shock to some, but I'm still getting issues connecting to WoW.

Seems Rift is more a Saturday thing. Probably more aggressive DPI due to more people home and using the internet. Saturday is always worse for the disconnects.

Skype video is every night.

@RogersErin

C'mon now, girl. How long has it been? There's gotta be some kind of news.

Seriously.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have nothing constructive to add... too frustrated... too angry.  But I'm still here, still having problems and still very unhappy with Rogers.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been following this thread for a while, this is Shaquille from the WoW forums. Thanks for the heads up about the forum account, Ressy.

I really have no idea what to do anymore. Bell doesn't offer bandwidth we need in my building. Teksavvy doesn't have service here. So Rogers, you've got me by the proverbial balls. Nothing is getting done. I'm still paying for the best service you offer and lagging like I'm on 56k. Bravo.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'd just like to add that I commiserate with all you WoW players.  I'm monitoring this thread and the insult of the Rogers' silence is appalling.  

I will not be silent.