Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

@RogersErin

Due to ISP incompetence, Blizzard has changed Wow to only connect on ports 1119, and 3724.  I assume it should be easier to fix now?

These ports need unblocking/unshaping for WoW & Starcraft2: UDP/TCP: 1119, 1120, 3724

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

@Ressy

According to Rogers Network Management Policy, they don't block download, nor do they block anything on known IANA ports as seen here:
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/network_management

Here are a list of IANA ports, as linked in Rogers own Network Management Policy:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

According to the IANA, these ports are assigned to Blizzard / Battle.net / World of Warcraft and thus, should not be blocked:

bnetgame        1119/tcp   Battle.net Chat/Game Protocol
bnetgame        1119/udp   Battle.net Chat/Game Protocol
bnetfile        1120/tcp   Battle.net File Transfer Protocol 
bnetfile        1120/udp   Battle.net File Transfer Protocol 
#                          Domain Tech <Domainnametech&blizzard.com> April 2005
blizwow 3724/tcp World of Warcraft blizwow 3724/udp World of Warcraft # Domain Tech <Domainnametech&blizzard.com> April 2005

As you can see from the link provided by Rogers, Blizzard has actually had those ports assigned to them since 2005. That's 6 years now that those ports have been assigned to Blizzard, and Blizzard alone.

Now, to the meat:

Rogers, in effect, is voilating their own Network Management Policy by blocking Blizzard / Battle.net / World of Warcraft packets. Now, if Rogers gives you any hassle about cancelling your account, make sure to point out that Rogers is violating thier own policy and should void any contract that they hold with you.

@RogersErin

Think any of this can help? I'm pretty sure we've done ALL the work for your "Network Engineers" now. You think they could get off coffee break for about 20 minutes to get this resolved? That would be wonderful.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thats also the same network management policy Rogers got slapped by the CRTC for breaking, and is still awaiting a response from Rogers for... Deadline's today.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,38/

subl
I've Been Here Awhile

Same issue here. Been having constant lag and sporadic disconnects with WoW since patch 4.0 and with SC2 since as long as I've owned it.

I've noticed with WoW servers that the problem only occurs when connecting to servers that are located in the same physical datacenter. For example, I get horrible networking issues when connecting to any servers located in the Chicago datacenter, but I can use any of the servers located in Phoenix without issue. My only guess is that network path A is more busy / more throttled, while network path B is the opposite.

I'm planning on moving away from home early next spring, and if this is the kind of quality that I can expect from rogers then I'll be sure to stay far away from your business. Fix this issue before I lose faith in you!

Darkpaw
I Plan to Stick Around

I sent an email (a rather nasty one, I might add) to Industry Minister Tony Clement about this.  I was stunned to see that he actually replied to me.  The news doesn't appear good.  Apparently, he doesn't feel that Rogers is doing anything wrong, so there's no reason for the CRTC to get involved.  Here's a copy of the email from him (it has not been edited in any way):

"Thank you for your email regarding Internet traffic management practices
(ITMPs) and network neutrality.

I would like to take this opportunity to state, unequivocally, that this
government believes that Canadians should have access to the lawful
content of their choice when using the Internet.  Access to the Internet,
and the content and services provided online, all play a critical role in
the everyday lives Canadian citizens and businesses.  The Government of
Canada is supportive of an Internet that enables all Canadians to fully
reap the benefits of the digital economy.

In its Internet traffic management framework, which was established in
Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-657, the Canadian Radio-television and
Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has set out several important
guidelines and requirements for Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to
follow.  For example, in managing network congestion, the CRTC indicated a
strong preference for economic-based measures.  It noted that when
technical measures are used to slow down specific applications or
protocols to alleviate congestion, they should only be used in exceptional
circumstances, and could trigger investigation under the
Telecommunications Act.  The policy also stated that slowing down
time-sensitive traffic, such as voice over Internet Protocol, is
unacceptable.  Consumer protection was also strengthened by mandating full
disclosure of ITMPs.  Collectively, these measures help to ensure that
Canadians can access the content and applications of their choice when
using the Internet.

You should be aware that the CRTC has taken a number of concrete steps to
ensure compliance with its framework.  For example, in January and
February 2010, the CRTC sent follow-up letters to a number of Canadian
ISPs, indicating ways in which they were required to improve the
disclosure of their ITMPs.

The CRTC framework is a complaints-based process underpinned by the
important principle of transparency.  Currently, with the framework
decision little more than a year old, and no indication from the CRTC that
credible complaints have been received, it would be premature to mandate
the CRTC to conduct audits of ITMPs.  Industry Canada will, however,
continue to monitor developments to ensure that our legislative and
regulatory frameworks remain effective.

Once again, thank you for writing.  I trust that this information is
helpful.

Yours sincerely,

Tony Clement"

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

It honestly sounds like he gave you quite a bit of ammo to use in a complain to the CRTC.

• Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-657
  • It noted that when technical measures are used to slow down specific applications or protocols to alleviate congestion, they should only be used in exceptional circumstances, and could trigger investigation under the Telecommunications Act.
  • Consumer protection was also strengthened by mandating full disclosure of ITMPs.

Note that Rogers has already received a letter from the CRTC regarding their disclosure of ITMPs not being transparent enough. They had a deadline of yesterday to respond. I have heard/read nothing.

Also note that second point there, technical measures are to be used to alleviate congestion only in EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES and could trigger an investigation.

Considering that Rogers uses technical measures, especially recently, constantly and not only in exceptional circumstances, I do hope that they soon trigger an investigation. Also consider that they are not just throttling what they say they will throttle.

I believe I might just have to read up on Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-657 to see where we all stand.

EricL
I Plan to Stick Around

this is where the CRTC should just say you Rogers go back to no throttling your abusing it or fine them 50,000 a day simple as that...

EricL
I Plan to Stick Around

And thanks i did fill out a formal complaint against Rogers an their policies that are against CRTC's own rules

FixBattlenet
I've Been Here Awhile

I also filed a complaint with the CRTC and convinced a couple of my guildies to do the same. For anyone at rogers, here is one of the main threads which houses dissatisfied rogers customers on wow but its not the only one:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965838937?page=39

Anyways, I created an account here just to complain. The issues now affecting all Battlenet products and games: SC2, WoW, (it will affect Diabol 3), WC1-3. There is a growing number of dissatisfied customers, and they are realizing it is their ISP (seeing as everyone else on other ISPs is fine). Many people are not bothering to complain (for every complaint expect nine other people to suffer in silence). We should spread the word on this issue throughout the rogers community.

I say we gather up all the people on the blizz threads (rogers customers) and bring them here to this thread, and while we are at it, post links to the CRTC so we can ALL start lobbying complaints against this awful company. I frankly cannot switch out of Rogers, so Im going to push too have this problem fixed. My cell phone is on rogers though, it wont be in a year I can promise you that, and I certainly will never purchase rogers internet services (Im a gamer).

This whole situation is so depressing too, when WoW was launched Rogers was the best.... Now their the worst. Im glad Rogers lost The Source, now at work I'm really gonna talk down about them.

Darkpaw
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been running the speedtest.net checks frequently, and have been keeping records of them via screenshots and posts to Facebook (you can post the results to FB directly from speedtest.net, luckily, to prove I'm not manipulating the graphic).

After another week or so of gathering evidence, I'm sending a formal complaint to the CRTC and cc'ing Tony Clement on it.  I'm not holding my breath about anything coming out of it, but at least it's more than me just sitting here in silence watching the little hamster wheel spinning on youtube while I wait for it to buffer.