Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

@RogersReggie

Indeed, a software update from the game manufacturer may be required as the issue is not something we would be able to correct on our end.

Indeed, you are completely wrong, and 100% misinformed. I really hope that this isn't the only response that Rogers is going to give us. I've been fed this line before already.

I have guild members in NFLD with NO issues.

I have guild members in Quebec with NO issues.

There are THOUSANDS of players on my realm that are having NO issues.

Rogers customers are having issues.

Rogers customers.

ROGERS.

Where is the Thumbs Down button when you really need it?

You wouldn't happen to be the exact same Reginald/Reggie that told me this EXACT same line yesterday, would you?

"Reginald says: A software update from the game manufacturer may be required as the issue is not something we would be able to correct on our end."

Word for word.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersReginald

I request again that you have your network engineers at Rogers immediately email and contact the Blizzard Network Project Manager (I PM'd his email address to RogersErin a few days ago) as this is now ridiculous.  It looks more and more like Rogers has dug their head in sand and is refusing to actually look into it, and thinks they can bully a huge company like Activision-Blizzard into patching a game which doesn't need fixing.

I understand you might only be able to say/release what you're being told by higherups (ie management who have no freakin clue about about network issues), but this issue isn't something Blizzard needs to fix, this is clearly a Rogers issue, which requires a Rogers fix.  We're tired of being told Blizzard has to patch their games because Rogers can't seem to do their jobs properly.

Its ridiculous that this issue has existed so long, that your company has admitted they made a mistake when it came to incorrectly shaping non-p2p traffic, said they were going to fix it, but couldn't be bothered to actually follow through on fixing it.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24994463-

Get in touch with the Blizzard rep or provide me an email address for one of your network engineers so I can forward it to the Blizzard rep.  I want this fixed, and I'm tired of Rogers' bs excuses as to why it can't be done.  Your competitors fixed this issue.  Why can't you?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053250?page=3#46

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-your-phone-line/World-of-Warcraft-Issues-Updated-...

I've just about had enough Rogers. The SCEs are mis-categorizing WoW traffic causing lag spikes and disconnects and this has been going on since the WoW 4.0 patch. It is a known issue with your SCE configuration. Blizzard has offered to help you resolve this issue - TAKE THEM UP ON IT.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Instead of fixing the problem, Rogers has just changed their policy instead.

If you cannot find the application/protocol listed in the IANA's website or you're not currently using the assigned port listed, it is possible that the application/protocol being used may be impacted by traffic management if your Internet connection is using a P2P file sharing application at the same time.

Baiscally they're saying "If you're using a torrent, we'll shape everything on the line, not just your torrent.", because my father often torrents, I can no longer play World of Warcraft at the same time.

He's always torrented, so I don't know why this issue suddenly came up only 6 days ago, but that there might be your answer.

It's a TERRIBLE answer, but it's an answer.

By the way, it is STILL Rogers' problem and has NOTHING to do with World of Warcraft. To use your own words:

Your best option would be to contact the Deep Packet Inspection software manufacturer as it would be easier for them to create an update which would address the issue than it would for Blizzard Entertainment Inc, that is not having the issue to make a changes to their respective product because of one ISP.

Thank you.

Highlighted

I was just contacted by the Blizzard Network Project Manager.

Rogers has not attempted to contact him.

I again request that you forward a request to the Rogers Network Engineers to contact Blizzard.

I will also be emailing in an official letter to the rogers Forumsupport email address.  Please be sure read it carefully.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@KingNerd

That snippet you posted off of rogers policy is all well and dandy, however, the problem still persists with ZERO P2P applications running. 

If they want to throttle me while I download P2P, go ahead, but when nothing else is going on and I just want a quick connection to a gaming server, I should get it.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This is Blizzard Tech Support's review from their end:

"After extensive investigation, AT&T confirms that the noted routers are running at high capacity during periods of network load. Their customers (Bell.ca, for example) are the ones who purchase bandwidth from them, and only that amount of bandwidth will be available to connections coming off of their routes. AT&T suggests contacting your ISP for this issue, as they are ultimately responsible for the traffic coming off of those routes onto their network.

I know that this is not the answer that you wanted to hear, but according to AT&T, that is what is causing the excessive latency users are experiencing. AT&T was kind enough to look into this for us, but there isn't anything they (or Blizzard) can change for this specific issue to alleviate the issue."

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021054037?page=25#499

Highlighted

@Razim27

Thats an old thread from 2 months ago, but had a different cause entirely.  You can see problems in the tracerts, as they're NOT clean, and they show a LARGE increase in latency between the ISP's last hop, and the first AT&T hop.  Bell had that problem 2 months ago, and they have the same problem now.  Yes, a few Rogers users had that issue, but MOST of the Rogers users showed clean traces.  Which points to an entirely different cause.

No increase in latency = no bandwidth problems.  They have been buying up enough bandwidth in the last two months (as evidenced by the tracerts).  Its one of the few right things they've been doing.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Seems my last post was removed. Curious.

@RAZIM21

Unfortunately, the issue with Rogers connections are not the same as those as our Bell brothers. It is still the ISPs issue, it's just not the same issue.

Our issue is resultant of Rogers' Network Management policy and deep packet inspection software/hardware usage to throttle P2P traffic. The issue is that it's not only P2P traffic that is getting dropped, it's any and all traffic.

Curious thing is, some of Battle.net is actually within the IANA ports as seen here:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

bnetgame        1119/tcp   Battle.net Chat/Game Protocol
bnetgame        1119/udp   Battle.net Chat/Game Protocol
bnetfile        1120/tcp   Battle.net File Transfer Protocol
bnetfile        1120/udp   Battle.net File Transfer Protocol

blizwow         3724/tcp   World of Warcraft
blizwow         3724/udp   World of Warcraft

The other ports that World of Warcraft uses are in the IANA list, but seem to be reserved for other applications, as seen here:

terabase        4000/tcp   Terabase
terabase        4000/udp   Terabase
dtspcd          6112/tcp   Desk-Top Sub-Process Control Daemon
dtspcd          6112/udp   Desk-Top Sub-Process Control Daemon   
dayliteserver   6113/tcp   Daylite Server
wrspice         6114/tcp   WRspice IPC Service

Therefore, Roger is in fact going against it's own Network Management Policy and it is, in fact, throttling software/packets that are going across known IANA ports.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Why ROGERS is throttling a huge online tech savy community like WOW is beyond me.