cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Wow's getting deprioritized by Rogers (tracerts/pathpings are clean, all ports are open/forwarded, no p2p running on any machine for at least 30 minutes before attempting to run wow), resulting in increased latency and dc'ing in wow.

Assuming this issue has something to do with Rogers' change to their terms last month..

I also assume Rogers filters are picking wow up as p2p incorrectly (like many other ISPs did) after Blizzard changed their communication methods/packet structure so they can do a Repair on Demand feature where instead of the game crashing, wow just downloads & streams the file from the server to the user, and the user can keep playing without seeing anything wrong.

Attempting to call Tech Support results in 1 of 3 of the following:
1. "Its not our problem, its the game."  Its not.  Other users in Ontario play fine (I can play fine at home in Toronto, but I dc constantly at my sister's in Ottawa).
2. "We don't support gaming." Fine, update your website to show that you can't game on any of your packages from Rogers Lite and above.
3. "Sorry, I can't transfer you to a supervisor." Oh... REALLY???

Really getting tired of the runaround now.

So far this affects London, Waterloo, parts of Toronto, and parts of Ottawa.  There are multiple posts in the WoW Tech support forums regarding issues with Rogers & WoW.  Here's one which now recommends tunneling to avoid using Rogers hops to actually be able to play the game:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1568009046

Who can I talk to to get this fixed? 

Will it be fixed by Rogers, or will Rogers just update their site so that it says you can't game on it, so people will KNOW that Rogers is poor for gaming (I was already suspecting that, as I can't play & host CoD:Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 without massive latency, without ANYTHING else running - its random who hosts a game, its not like I'm deliberately hosting or anything.)

Is this even fixable, or should I as a regular Tech Support poster on the wow forums start recommending to other WoW users using Rogers to switch to an ISP that actually will listen to its users?

Thoughts? Comments? Anything?

***edited labels***

578 REPLIES 578

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

esazon
I Plan to Stick Around
@RogersErin

I have sent you a message with my name, address and service we subscribe to.

I experience this exact same issue. Constant disconnects and extreme (5000-7000ms) latency ingame.

Ressy

@RogersErin

Sent you a message with (what should be) the account holder's name (theres always issues with this account name for some stupid reason), along with my home address where I can play with no issues.

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@esazon @Ressy

Thank you, I got it! 🙂

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, with 3 very grueling days in, I can definitely say it seems to be affected by "peak times".

Nearly all day yesterday (Sunday), I was getting disconnected every 1 - 5 minutes. It wasn't until well after 7pm where the disconnects started slowing down, until around midnight where I'd only get disconnected once every hour or so (unless I went in a dungeon, then it would be about 5 DCs in a row and then nothing).

It is now Monday at 1:15pm EST. The disconnects are in full force again. Every 1 - 5 minutes. Most disconnects occuring within the first 20 seconds of logging in.

esazon
I Plan to Stick Around

What's funny, is my computer will be the only one connected to the internet, with ZERO applications running (I mean everything turned off) other then WoW and I am receiving constant disconnects/extreme latency.

TO TEST: I turned on MULTIPLE Torrent programs (For testing purposes), running multiple downloads, and I can load a game of Call of Duty: Black Ops, or League of Legends and still maintain a respectable ping and never, ever disconnect.

The problem, in my opinion, is the way Rogers is seeing the traffic from WoW and is throttling it to the point where people are eventually disconnected.

Ressy

@esazon

Yup.. Really looking like mistaken throttling of wow ports (I really don't think they would do this deliberately).

Hopefully with Erin forwarding the email address for the Blizzard manager to Rogers' network techs, something'll get done soon, and Rogers' entire network will get fixed for WoW/SC2 users.

WTB direct line to Tier 2 tech support for future issues. >.<  I once got a Tier 2 online support rep immediately at like midnight one time, and all I had to do is say "I'm having issues with WoW" and he knew the problem and said he'd already put in a ticket as he'd been experiencing the same thing in wow before his shift.  I must say, that was my BEST support experience ever.  Not having to fight with the person about "Well, remove your router, and try again" when its clearly not the router was simply amazing.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, a World of Warcraft maintenance day has come and gone.

Going into day 5 and I'm still getting the exact same issue I always was.

Any updates at all on the progress of this problem getting resolved?

Anything at all I can provide that might help?

esazon
I Plan to Stick Around

Same here. Last night I disconnected all PC's from our network. Directly connected mine using an ethernet cable. Turned off all firewalls/antivirus/programs. Everything ran smooth EXCEPT for WoW. Disconnects every 10s-30s. Extreme latency.

Definitely still a problem.

Joelo246
I've Been Here Awhile

Just wanted to add my voice as a SC2 user. Rogers has been great for everything BUT battlenet, which has had brutal and constant disconnect issues, to the point where it's unplayable. I hope rogers is giving this real attention as it's a very frustrating and unreasonable issue to have to deal with.

Jan01
I Plan to Stick Around

If rogers wanted to fix it, then it would have been fixed by now. I sincerely hope that the mod's here do not just act symbolically and are sending this issue to a higher level. The day this problem goes away is the day I finally come back to Rogers. So until that day, I will only subscribe to TV, and cell phone services from Rogers as I am very happy with them. Bell will continue to get my money for internet!  Come on rogers...

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to add a few more voices that might not know about this website:

People in Starcraft II have been having issues since early November.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/933034583?page=1

You can also see people in World of Warcraft having issues a little more recently.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1921989325?page=1

After a live chat with a representative, he basically told be "We're working on it, but don't expect anything".

You can view the log of the chat here:

http://www.kingnerd.net/livelog-2011-01-25.html

The names of the innocent have been changed.

Ressy

@KingNerd

I see a Tier 1 Tech lying to a user.  Not surprising.  Happens way too often.

"Reginald says: A software update from the game manufacturer may be required as the issue is not something we would be able to correct on our end."

@RogersErin

A Blizzard patch is not going to happen.  Other ISPs have fixed this problem on their ends without Blizzard having to patch anything.  Its Rogers' filters which are faulty.  Not Blizzard's problem.  If Rogers can't seem to fix this (even though its their problem, and I'm not experiencing it NOW) I will be changing ISPs.  If they do nothing to fix it now, who's to say they won't packet shape these ports everywhere, and just string the users along another 3-4 months with no fix in sight, giving lip service the entire time about "We're looking into it" but nothing gets done.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

@Ressy

My personal favourite line was:

"Reginald says: I understand. I know people as well that use Rogers connections that have had no issues whatsoever. Our network engineers have done their own tests and are unable to replicate the issue."

@RogersErin

Feel free to have your "network engineers" that can't replicate the issue to come over to my place. I'll even throw in for pizza if they fix this mess. Deal?

Also, with the UBB coming into affect on Bell on March 1st, and on Rogers come July 1st, there will be no more competition to go to.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CRTC-Finalizes-ISP-UsageBased-Billing-112406

Ressy

Bell users can at least play wow & sc2 (well, right now theres an issue between where Bell hands off to AT&T, but that should be fixed relatively easily & quickly).  I may hate Bell, but its actually possible to game on their service.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, true enough, but the 25GB cap that they want to impose isn't going to allow for much gaming. 😉

It also feels like RogersErin has left us in the wind.

EDIT: Day 6. Still nothing.

RogersErin

@KingNerd

I'm still here, haven't left you hanging.

I don't have any immediate updates for everyone.

Thanks Ressy and esazon for sending me your PM (private message).

🙂

esazon
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know what kind of gaming you're doing but gaming does not take much traffic. You'd be lucky to use 50-60megs per hour of gaming.

To @rogers. WoW/Battle.net/SC2 throttling still an issue. Thanks.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersErin

It's nice to see you, glad we're not just being left behind.

It's now 1:30pm EST and it's started back up fill force.

I cannot stay connected more than 30 seconds at a time without some sort of packet loss.

Would you like me to send you my information as well?

RogersErin

@KingNerd

Sure, please send your full name and address to forumsupport@rci.rogers.com.

Thanks!

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

The email has been sent.

I really hope this issue can be resolved soon.

I'm really not looking forward to switching providers.

JohnnyCakes
I've Been Here Awhile

lso have been having a problem staying connected yet mine has gone on since late December. I had a few threads on Blizzard forums and I have tried several things on my end trying to fix it. i.e. Updating network drivers, video card drivers, Hard reset, I even called Rogers tech support. Though at the time I was unaware of any shaping/throttling going on.

I will follow this thread and hope that this gets resolved. I miss my Medivh 😞

FYI, I'm in Orillia, Ontario If that helps at all.