Rogers says I'm using 650 gigs a month... WHAT??

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers says I'm using 650 gigs a month... WHAT??

For the last three to four months, to my surprise - I have been getting messages on my browser a few days after my new billing cycle has started saying that I have reached my usage cap. This first time this happened, I called tech support right away as this could not be possible. The agent looked into my question and said that there is a known issue that they are currently investigating inaccurate usage calculation during peak internet usage hours (prime time). The agent informed me he's opened a ticket and any overages should be credited back. I asked if I should continue using the internet as I was worried that I'd keep accumulating overusage. He advised me that this seems like an easy fix and again credits will apply, so keep using the service as usual.

Three months later... Rogers still has yet to solve this issue and I have been charged the maximum overusage charge for the past three (soon to be four months) that will equal an extra $400 on my bill. The bills collectivley are averaging at close to 500 gigs of overusage PER MONTH! I got the Extreme internet package with a usage cap of 150 gigs because we use Xbox and Netflix, which under normal circumstances should cover what I use. I have been on the phone with Texhnical Support many times and it seems like at this point they can't figure out the problem and thus, I must be using that amount of data. I beg to differ - 150 gigs of my cap plus approximitly 500 gigs of over usage is 650 gigs a month they claim I am using. I called netflix to see if there is a chance I am actually using that much data, and after laughing their heads off untimatley said no. An hour of Netflix equals .7 gigs of data. My moderate xbox gaming and casual internet browsing could not be the problem, and I don't download movies or large files. That means I must be watching 715 hours of Netflix per month which is close to the approximitley 730 hours there are in a month. That equals about 400 movies per month. Now, I love movies, but with a full-time job, I can't possibly be watching 400 in a month, not even close to a fraction of that.

Each representative I talk to is convinced that I am using that much data and won't do anything for me. They are sure that the numbers on their screen don't lie. From the start of this problem, I have checked to see if there could be anybody hacking into my network and just to make sure, I frequently change the password. I am sure that I do not leave any programs requiring interet usage running on my mac, which has no history of viruses. Somebody at Rogers has got to look at this case and see how rediculous and obscene this is. It's just not possible that I am using 650 gigs per month. I have had the Extreme package since the start and have not changed my equipment or internet usage habits and have had several months of realistic usage that falls under the cap. I can't afford to pay an extra $400 for a Rogers screw-up, this has to be resolved.

In the mean time, I have cancelled my service because I can't keep the meter running knowing that I will most likley keep getting screwed. I have nothing to lose by trying another provider.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers says I'm using 650 gigs a month... WHAT??

Pleast dont take this as blaming you at all, etc.. but just to 100% illiminate it out of the equasion..

Turn off the wifi, have no devices on it.  Keep the PC off.. no netflix, NOTHING.. for one day.

And check your usage.  If it shows its still going up, its definately 100% on rogers side.

If not, its MAY be possible its something on your network.  I do remember quite a while ago, someone on here, who had a mac as well, who was doing a system update (or upgrade).. and it somehow got cought in a loop, and he left it on overnight and through the next day, and burned almost 200g, as it just continualy downloaded this thing.
Killing the update.. and it stoped.  I had the same thing with a run away web page on my iphone once.. once i killed the app running, usage stoped.

Again, please dont take this as a blaming you thing.. im just trying to make sure its not on your end... as if you did change providers, and it IS something comming from your end.. you could easily go over your overage there as well 😞

When you called netflix.. the persons nubers seem.. a little off.  Well depends on what format you are downloading.  Low to mid quality from netflix might pull .7gb.   But MOST people report, that an hour of full HD, is more between 1-1.5g per hour.  So the usage COULD be a little higher (but still no where near 650g 😛 )

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pleast dont take this as blaming you at all, etc.. but just to 100% illiminate it out of the equasion..

Turn off the wifi, have no devices on it.  Keep the PC off.. no netflix, NOTHING.. for one day.

And check your usage.  If it shows its still going up, its definately 100% on rogers side.

If not, its MAY be possible its something on your network.  I do remember quite a while ago, someone on here, who had a mac as well, who was doing a system update (or upgrade).. and it somehow got cought in a loop, and he left it on overnight and through the next day, and burned almost 200g, as it just continualy downloaded this thing.
Killing the update.. and it stoped.  I had the same thing with a run away web page on my iphone once.. once i killed the app running, usage stoped.

Again, please dont take this as a blaming you thing.. im just trying to make sure its not on your end... as if you did change providers, and it IS something comming from your end.. you could easily go over your overage there as well 😞

When you called netflix.. the persons nubers seem.. a little off.  Well depends on what format you are downloading.  Low to mid quality from netflix might pull .7gb.   But MOST people report, that an hour of full HD, is more between 1-1.5g per hour.  So the usage COULD be a little higher (but still no where near 650g 😛 )

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is a good network analyser that may be worth installing.

http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

It will actualy show ALL data going through that PC, all packets/ports.. so can sometimes show if somthing is going without knowing

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks GDkitty for the response. I have to appreciate how one would look at this situation objectivley and part of it is playing devil's advocate as I have done myself. Just to preface this, I am no stranger to how my network works and have advanced computer knowledge. I work on computers for a living. I've only said that to validate that I'm not someone who could miss potential problems coming from my end and I have extensivley done my do diiligence over the past 3-4 months to insure that the source of the problem is not coming from my end.

As you have suggested, I have turned my modem off for a period of 48 hours and Rogers indeed did not record any usage during that time. Since this problem began, I have been shutting off any device dependant on internet usage when not in use, therefore taking away the idea that there could be an app or program that is caught in a loop. I also turn Netflix off when not in use to insure there is no continuous streaming while I'm away. My Netflix account is locked and has been since I registerd for the service to the medium quality setting which states that an hour equals roughly .7 gigs. I have even been turning my modem off when I go to bed or to work.

I think that the agent in my very first call to Tech Support made the most sense saying that this is a known issue and that Rogers is not calculating my usage properly during peak hours. Rogers has not been able to find a solution by digging into that notion deeper, but I have done my research and have found many articles of customers complaining about the same thing happening to them and even a CBC news article out of Toronto talking about how an uprising of complaints of this nature is taking place. Even the latest Technical Support agent I spoke to admitted that they have been receiving a high amount of calls regarding this issue - it's new to them and there are no answers at the present time. In the mean time I guess they are just telling people that must be how much internet they are using, so just pay and shut up.

It's not fair, otherwise I have been quite happy with my services from Rogers. I know that going to another provider could result in the same dissapointment, but as I have said, at this point I have nothing to lose by doing so.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh, i can completely understand if you chose to leave.. i dont blame you for that.

Maybe i should count myself lucky sometimes.. it seems like i rarely run into the issues that others have.  I know my usage has always pretty much been bang on.

Swaping the modem, would be my only other thing.. that is somhow doubling things, etc? but if you are leaving, its not really worth it.  If it ends up being on the account level (back end..) there is not much that can be done from you.

Hopefuly it works well for you wherever you do go.. have a good holidays 🙂