cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers rocket hub (NetComm 3G10WVR2) setup with external router

pmeyers
I've Been Here Awhile
I have been very frustrated over running the 20 GB maximum data per month, running into high data fees with my Rogers rocket hub. As a solution to ensure I do not overrun the data, I have purchased a new Netgear router. This allows me to use netgenie to monitor and cap the data usage. so far, the only way I have been able to set up the rocket hub to close down it's router capability is by using "half bridge" mode on the rocket hub. Not much documentation on this mode. The router is working however Both my rocket hub and my netgear router appear to have the same IP address 192.168.1.1.

I could use advice on two things. First should I be using the half bridge mode or is there a better set of settings for this type of home network set up. Second, what IP address should I change my router to in order to avoid a conflict between the IP address for my rocket hub and the IP address for the Netgear router. Any help would be very much appreciated. Normally Google is my best friend for this type of thing but I have come up with no solutions. Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers rocket hub (NetComm 3G10WVR2) setup with external router

pmeyers
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your reply.

As an update, I successfully changed the IP address for the router so it is different from the rocket hub.  All is working very well so far. 

I am now hesitant to turn-off the option of half bridge, given everything is in good shape at this point.  I am limited in my understanding of networks.  The reason I turned on half bridge is becuase I could not get them working in tandem - I think because they could not both work as routers at the same time on the same network.

I think I will leave the system and settings as is for now, given all is working well, and will re-address this again if the system breaks down.

Peter

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RogersAmanda
Retired Moderator

Hi there!

Is any member of the Community able to assist with their concern?

RogersAmanda

gwmacdonald
I Plan to Stick Around
A router is a device that connects different networks. Your RocketHub needs to be a router because it connects the WAN (the Rogers network) to an internal LAN. Similarly, your Netgear device needs to be a router because it connects the LAN created by the RocketHub to the LAN that your internal wired and wireless devices connect to. I would disable the Half-bridge setting on the RocketHub. This setting is related to certain VPN connections and other unspecified special applications. If you later discover that VPN connections such as L2TP are not working from your internal devices, you can experiment with enabling this setting after everything else is working. (In my experience, standard VPN connections such as L2TP and OpenVPN require no special settings on home routers). I assume you are connecting the RocketHub using an Ethernet cable connected to the WAN port on the Netgear device. Each router must use a different network address for the LAN it services. If the RocketHub is using 192.168.1.x for its LAN, then the Netgear device should use a network such as 192.168.2.x. In this address range, the third digit represents the network and can be any number between 0 and 254 except for 1 which is being used by the RocketHub as its network number). The Netgear device will have an address on its WAN side such as 192.168.1.100 (if DHCP is enabled) and an address such as 192.168.2.1 on its LAN side. If you are assigning a static address on the Netgear's WAN side, then 192.168.1.2 will do. (Apologies if all the above is run together as a single paragraph. It wasn't composed that way.)

pmeyers
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your reply.

As an update, I successfully changed the IP address for the router so it is different from the rocket hub.  All is working very well so far. 

I am now hesitant to turn-off the option of half bridge, given everything is in good shape at this point.  I am limited in my understanding of networks.  The reason I turned on half bridge is becuase I could not get them working in tandem - I think because they could not both work as routers at the same time on the same network.

I think I will leave the system and settings as is for now, given all is working well, and will re-address this again if the system breaks down.

Peter

View solution in original post

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation