Rogers poor gateway modem selection and lack of parental controls.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers poor gateway modem selection and lack of parental controls.

Just to recap .... Rogers gives us some wonderfull options...

1-SMC D3GN      Looses port forwarding and other settings everytime they push a firmware update... also the link light stopped working about 4 months ago due to bad firmware...makes troubleshooting with support interesting.

2-Cisco DPC3825 Probably the best option all in all it works with the exception you need a silly key to configure guest wireless which doesnt work the way anyone would want. and the parental controls that BELL and all others offer are disabled in this gateway for some unkown reason.... ( Can someone from rogers please explain why the advertised features are disabled and guest network is not visable unless you use the silly USB key )

3- Hitron modem which from every tech I've talked to is a complete piece of garbage. Very picky on signal and problematic

So we are forced to overpay for a fancy gateway modem rental which we will end up disabling as they are so poorly implemented.

Can someone explain from  Rogers if you consider this to be acceptable?

Simple logic......allow a docsis 3.0 modem for users to rent @ $4 a month  or customer choice to pay $7-8 for gateway.

On wireless side you allow a customer to use a USB modem or a rocket hub.... same concept !

If your charging customers $7-$8 a month for a gateway modem then it needs to work and all the features found in any basic off the shelf router need to work. Its a very simple concept that many would agree with.

If you leased a car and the radio had been disabled by the dealer wouldn't you be irate?

We pay good money for service..... Please test your firmware before sending it out...... and please stop removing basic features from capable products that we are paying for. We have better things to do then come home and redo our network.

Dont think I'm asking for a lot here...................

***edited labels***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers poor gateway modem selection and lack of parental controls.

Hello, I will add to what you said up there that parental controls are disabled on the hitron modems as well.
I hope they listen and do something about it.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Great post jay2175. I and others have made numerous posts on these forum regarding the gateway modems. None of them perform as advertised. Unfortunately, while Rogers must be aware of the issues, the posts so far appear to falling on deaf ears. I am still hopeful that if we keep on their case, that eventually they might listen and come to the only logical conclusion - that customer satisfaction is in fact important.

I Plan to Stick Around

They have no reason at all to not allow a standalone D3 cable modem, such as the Motorola SB 6121, to be used. Even if they don't provide it, they should allow us to use our own if we have purchased it elsewhere. The Motorola SB 6121 D3 modem is supported for use on TekSavvy cable internet, which uses Rogers' cable network - the very same cables, lines, infrastructure, everything - so we know that it is technically compatible, Rogers is just choosing to not allow it.

It's ludicrous.

The reason I would like a modem only is not because of rental fees or poor wifi range (although yes those issues exist), but it is because I want control of my home network. I don't want a Rogers rep to be able to remotely login to my router and manage my network, including setting up additional hidden networks (which there is on their gateway modems and regular old users like us can't manage them). I want a modem only. 

Honestly the second TekSavvy offers higher upload speeds I am switching and getting the Motorola SB 6121.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I think you may have hit on something there testuser. I have read this before as well. Rogers wants total control over your network and they are better able to do this with the gateway modems. It does not matter that they do not work well. It does not matter if customers are frustrated. It does not matter that they mess things up with their firmware updates. It matters that Rogers is the King and we are the subjects and when the the King rules, the subjects simply do not matter! It is a horrible way to run a company.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i dont disagre.. i dont 100% agree either,

If rogers wanted FULL control of our networks in that way, they wouldnt allow us to put it into bridged mode Smiley Happy

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm sure Rogers could care less about running your network... They're in bussiness and like any company are here to make money. Unless your paying them to run your network then they're not going to touch it. I think we are getting off topic.

The integrated modem/gateway is great for people like my parents that are not tech savy ( provided it actually works) but for those of us who are tech savy and expect that if a router/modem is forced on us that it at least be fully finctional, reliable , good wireless etc.

Bell for example (DSL) provides a similar garbabge integrated modem/gateway.... the trick is it's dsl... so For $24.99 at any computer shop you can buy a dsl modem and away you go with a router of your choice. 

Rogers being an RF system does need to control to some degree what modems they allow.... That being said there is no reason why they cant support a standalone D3 modem. I'd be more then happy 10 rent one at $4 a month or but one at $100

Teksavy is reselling rogers services and uses the same rogers network and allows a motorola modem.

There is no technical reason why Rogers cant allow the same.

Does anyone from rogers review these posts? I'd like to see someone comment and provide a reason why this cant be done?

If this forum is just a place for us all to complain with no resolve then whats the point?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@jay2175 wrote:

The integrated modem/gateway is great for people like my parents that are not tech savy ( provided it actually works) but for those of us who are tech savy and expect that if a router/modem is forced on us that it at least be fully finctional, reliable , good wireless etc.

I generally agree with everything you have said regarding the need for a stand alone D3 modem. The issue that gets to me though is that yes, in theory, the gateway should make things easier for a lot of people. You hit the nail on the head though when you added the "provided it actually works". Therein lies the problem. If it does not work, and none of them are even capable of providing decent Wi-Fi, then it becomes a nightmare. I still maintain it is easier for everyone to hook up a router to a stand alone modem than it is to figure out what to do when your Wi-Fi is not working on the gateway. So what in theory sounds great, in reality, Rogers is only making things more difficult.