Rogers on demand not authorized

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers on demand not authorized

I No longer have access to ROD. Tech support says my box is broken. There is no block on my account and signal is fine. When I turn to CH 100,180,300etc. I get the "you are not authorized to view this channel....." message.

I can't seem to believe him when he says it's broken when this is the only channel I have paid for that is not working.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers on demand not authorized

Hey Everyone,

Thank you all for the assistance.  So I didn't end up getting another box to see if it was a box issue.  I was still bothered that the box was the problem.  My technological instincts were telling me that it wasn't a box problem so I decided to do more research.  Another user named Mousetamer had a similar issue with On Demand not working as well.  A tech suggested that they remove his cable TV services and re-add it.

Today, I called Rogers and spoke to a tech rep named Sandeep and I asked him if he has heard of this issue and if deleting and re-adding services would solve the problem.  He said he has heard of it but would like to go through all the mandatory steps (check serial #, check billing, check signal etc) before resorting to what was suggested by Mousetamer.  So eventually, we got to the point where our last resort was to remove and re-add the services.  VOILA!

I know there are other users on here with this problem.  I am happy to say that my life is a lot more enjoyable until I get off these crutches.  I knew it wasn't the box, I just knew it. I almost pulled the trigger on a new one too.  So from speaking to a total of 4 support reps and a tech my problem is finally solved.  Thank you Mousetamer.  Rogers, Sandeep deserves a raise!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello zeeden

Have you rebooted the box? Unplug the box & leave it for 5-10 seconds. Plug it back in & let it reboot. See if it works. If it does not, contact Rogers & have them check your account & see what is going on.

Sometimes reps do not want to check or do the work so they claim its the box that is faulty. At times it is BUT with your issue, i doubt it is.
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@zeeden wrote:
I No longer have access to ROD. Tech support says my box is broken. There is no block on my account and signal is fine. When I turn to CH 100,180,300etc. I get the "you are not authorized to view this channel....." message.

The NOT AUTHORIZED message typically means something has happened to your account... somehow the channel has been removed (or disabled) from the Rogers end.  I highly doubt there is a problem with your box.  You should re-escalate the issue with Rogers and ensure they have the channel added to your account.  Obviously you should give the box a reboot before calling and ensure they send a signal to RE-authorize your terminal - sometimes this will cause the channel to kick back in.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just for a note, a 'not authorized' can come up with a signal issue as well, i have seen it myself.
(though in this case, the OP has said that they said the signal was ok).

Helping someone in a small apartment (which i am sure the cable signal was crap to begin with).
Wanting to split the signal from the wall, so then goes to the digital box, then the other into the other room for just analog.
Put splitter in (was still a decent one) was enough to bugger up the signal.. that some of the 'paid' channels would not come through, came up unathorized.
Remove the spitter, reboot box, come back fine.

Highlighted

Are you sure this was through a regular digital box, and not an adapter?

I know I've seen a similar message show up with Digital Adapters when there is a weak signal, I think is says Services are Temporarily unavailable, or something along the lines of that...

I always thought with a Digital Box, weak signal gave you the pixiliztion screen, choppy audio not synced with video, or the infamous black screen, no picture, no nothing.... but I've never seen a "Not Authorized" box show up with weak signal...  but I could be wrong, its still good info to keep under my cap.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It was a digital box, was a year or so ago. Pre dta.

Just saying as I saw it :). Could have been it was THAT weak of a signal.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for all the replies. While on the phone with Rogers yesterday they told me that there was no block on for ROD. I even resettled the box with him on the phone to see if I can get anywhere with them.

I had purchased the HD box via bestbuy and ran through some issues and Rogers replaced it for me. They are saying that it's a box issue. That means they gave me a defective box. All the rep did yesterday was give me a phone number to get my box repaired since it is out of warranty.

I'll try calling them again.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello zeeden

Weird. I have never heard of a box being defective that will block ROD & leave all the other channels work.. That does not sound right to me at all. If the box is defective, it wouldn't let other channels work as well from what i know.

Well replace the box & see what happens. If the new / refurb box does the same thing, that means its on Rogers end. Also quick question. Is the box registered on your name? The S/N number registered on your account?

Also another question, when did you buy the box from Best Buy?

Highlighted

Do other On Demand channels work?  search for other On Demand channels and try to get them to load.  I'm starting to wonder if its a 2 way communication issue?  All regular channels are typically RECIEVE only... once you go to an On Demand channel, you are now SENDING information back to the head end.  I'm wondering if the SEND part of your box is being blocked by a filter or something else outside.

You should try bringing your box over to a friends house and load'er up there and see if those channels work.  If they DO work, then you will probably need to have a tech come out and investigate whats blocking the on demand from coming in.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So I called back and spoke to someone who escalated it by issuing a ticket. I got a call back asking me to unplug the box etc.. I told him that he was the third person I was talking to about this issue. He decided to send a tech out after unplugging didn't work.

Other on demand channels such as Nat geo, hgtv, food and treehouse are not working. I get the same "not authorized" message on the channels and they are all blacked out on the guide. However I do have YTV on demand.

This is important to me as I am on crutches for the next month or so. I'll be couch riding for a while. I'll keep you guys posted.