Rogers on demand error SRM-8001

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers on demand error SRM-8001

I don't have much hope that posting here will help, but... We have been having problems since before the end of Sept., and after many calls to "Technical Support" the problem remains unresolved.  It started with many of the channels we subscribe to suddenly being "unavailable."  We had two techs come out (the 2nd was a senior tech), and had splitters reduced and replaced, and signal amplifiers put on both boxes.  Our signal strength improved, and we got most channels back, but have not resolved issues with On Demand programming.  Sometimes we can't get into any of the OD channels at all, and get just a general "Sorry, we're having problems, blah blah" error message.  Other times we can get SD On Demand shows, but we can't get ANY HD On Demand to work at all.  We get the same error message all the time on those:  SRM-8001.  I have had a ticket open on this 3 times now.  The first 2 times, the ticket was open for a day or so, then we got that annoying, recorded phone call "Based on our testing, your problem is solved."  I keep calling back to say that the problem is bloody well NOT solved!!  Every time, I get the same drill, "let's reboot your box."  I have rebooted the *#&%^@% thing 20 times a day, trust me, it doesn't solve the problem!!  Why can't anyone at Rogers seem to resolve the issue in a timely manner??  I let myself be talked into getting a bit of a price break by the retention dept., but I'm wishing I had just ditched all of our Rogers services.  If this persists much longer, I will, and I will certainly not be paying any cancellation fees - Rogers is not holding up its end of the agreement because it cannot seem to provide the services it sells.  Tonight all of our Super Channel package is missing, the On Demand was ok for an hour or so, but now I can't access it on any of the OD channels... Regardless of any price break, this is super frustrating, and the tech dept has been no help at all.  Watch what you want when you want - HA!

***Edited labels***

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Re: Rogers on demand error SRM-8001

@community

Can anyone help out Orange?

I Plan to Stick Around

I guess simple sarcasm is not allowed on this forum, as my post was removed.  Let me be straightforward then: I am really disappointed that the only response posted by any Rogers rep has been to ask other forum members if they can help me.  I thought this forum would have some input from experienced Rogers employees who might be able to offer some insight, expertise, or at the very least some sort of explanation... or even just a simple, "We're sorry we haven't been able to sort this out for you over the past month, but we acknowledge the problem and are working on it."

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@Orange

Thanks for your message, I have sent you a PM.

Our forums do have moderators that provide responses.

The goal of our forums is to provide a venue where customers can help each other out with technical questions.

We were flexible with this over the first month we launched, as customers learned the guidelines.

See you in the community!

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for not deleting my last post.

I found a Rogers quote from when these forums launched:

“these forums allow you to do just that by casting a wide net for technical help from a broad group of users just like you. If members of the community don’t have the answer to your question, our technical-supports reps are on standby to assist.

I guess that is not the case, so the forums are somewhat useless.  Without input from Rogers, customers having problems are supposed to help each other solve problems that more than likely require intervention from Rogers?

My bad for misunderstanding I guess.

Through much research, and without any help from Rogers, I was able to find an explanation for the problems we have been having, from someone who works at arm's length from Rogers.  Apparently, in my area anyway, service is being re-routed from one station to another in some sort of upgrade.  I'm not sure of all the technical stuff involved, but apparently it is a huge job, and the changeover is causing a lot of problems.  This person has not been able to get info from Rogers on how long the whole process may take, but apparently service calls to my home are useless right now, because the problem is at the source.

It would be really helpful if Rogers would just admit that the work they are doing is causing issues, give people a price break in the meantime, and just, for goodness sake, be HONEST with  customers!!  I appreciate honesty and integrity, and am much more likely to be patient if I feel that I am getting an honest explanation.  The way Rogers deals with its customers has me looking for alternatives,  The CRTC needs to get on board with letting Canadian consumers have more choice of providers so that we do not have to put up with **bleep** service for a lack of alternatives!!!

I've Been Here Awhile

Dear Rogers & community,

I'm looking for some help.  After numerous call, support tickets, swapping boxes and having a technician out I continue to experience the same issue accessing Rogers on Demand (channel 100, TMN on demand, Treehouse on Demand etc)  The issue started back in August 2014 and continues to date (January 2015).  Almost every night starting around 19:30-20:00 when I try to access any of the on Demand channels I receive an error message (works during the day).  At first it would just be a general error message saying we are unable to access on Demand at this time or it would say we are unable to access the program you requested (I was just trying to access the main menu, not a program). Since the menu update (Late November 2014) I now get a error reference code (SRM-8001).  No one at Rogers seems to understand what the code means howveer upon further research of these forums I found this post from 2010 http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message....  

Tthe post references the following as the issue:

"Through much research, and without any help from Rogers, I was able to find an explanation for the problems we have been having, from someone who works at arm's length from Rogers.  Apparently, in my area anyway, service is being re-routed from one station to another in some sort of upgrade.  I'm not sure of all the technical stuff involved, but apparently it is a huge job, and the changeover is causing a lot of problems.  This person has not been able to get info from Rogers on how long the whole process may take, but apparently service calls to my home are useless right now, because the problem is at the source."

Clearly this is not a new error and I'm getting very frustrated.  Is anyone else having a similar issue (I''m in Ottawa) or konw if Rogers is doing something similar to the activity above?  Rogers forum reps, do you have any suggestions on how to resolve my issue?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am wondering if it may be signal or something... but that is ONLY happening when there is STRESS On the lines in the area.. at later times of night.

(we had that here a few years ago.. was a line issue on the street).

Have something to possibly have you look at, but need to know which box you have?

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for you post.  I currently have a Scientifice Atlanta DTV E940, piror to this (swapped boxed in early December) I had a much bigger unit with a digital clock on the front.

I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry, I didn't fully answer all your questions.  yes, generally speaking the issue only occurs in the evenings and occasionally on weekends.  Today (Sunday) for example. I tried to access TMN on demand around 13:00 and I received error SRM-8001.  I tried reboting the box (unplugged for 20 seconds) but still no luck.  I called Rogers and 35 min later when they called back it was working.  I tried again tonight (and most nights) between 19:30 and 20:00 and the error message is back.  It's the same story almost every night.  Works during the day, gives error messages at night.

As for the cause I'm of the same opinion that volumn is the issue and that we've drawn the short straw as to who gets access but Rogers "assures me" this no longer happens with their systems.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I can't easily check at the moment, but as soon as I can I will look up how to get into the diagnostic menus for the sd box.

So can then check at least that, at times of working and not to see if there is any variance.