cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers on Demand down system wide Wednesday November 16, 2016

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I was in contact with Rogers technical support today due to two problems and got the message up front on the automated system that the Rogers on Demand is down and they are working to bring it back up.

My call was actually for related issue - I haven't had the Weather Channel from the D button, and On Demand would not load - the weather channel issue had been failing for 3 days, first with data not available, now just says loading as with the on demand.

The rep on the chat had me do the whole reboot routine, did it so I would have it on record.  Took a long time to authorize and load the guide fully, but finally got access to all on demand channels, only to find that the original problem was still there.

I called in again, got a nice woman quickly and she said the On Demand issue should have nothing to do with the weather channel issue.  Checked signal strengths, they are off, so sending a rep out Friday.

I forgot on the chat to do what I always do which is say, can you first check signal.

As @Gdkitty always says, if things aren't loading properly, it is probably signal - it was.  Plus the fact that it kept rebooting on its own about 2 hours after I tried a reboot or after the nightly download, was suggestive that I had a bad signal. 

By the way, does anyone know what a good signal level is for the nextbox 3.0, up and down.  I know how to check it, just can't remember what level it is.

In summary, it appears that ROD is down system wide for a while.

Bruce

***Edited Labels***

34 REPLIES 34

Re: Rogers on Demand down system wide Wednesday November 16, 2016

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @BS,

Thanks for sharing your findings with the Community. There has been reports of some Ontario customers experiencing issues with their On Demand service at this time. We are actively working to resolve the issue, for impacted customer in a timely manner. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Also, if you don't mind, please keep the Community updated regarding the outcome of your service Wednesday.

To answer your question, the FDC signal should be from - 14 to + 10. The RDC signal should be + 25 to + 55 to be within operational range for the digital box.

Hope this helps!

RogersCilio

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
Hi, can we please be given a proper explanation on why the outage occurred? These On Demand issues seem to be very common with Rogers and a little transparency to your customers goes a long way. It's easier for me to count on one hand the number of times On Demand has actually worked in the past year because it's been down or problematic more than it's been stable. My in-laws have had Bell Fibe for the past 4 years and not once have they had problems with On Demand. Yes their tv service has gone down a couple of times but that's a far cry from the number of problems I (and other Rogers customers) have had recently, and their On Demand has been flawless. If there's a serious issue with Rogers on Demand, we'd appreciate some detail. I think we would all love to know why your competitors can deliver a more reliable service. Is it because their service is IPTV? Is it because your on demand infrastructure is out-dated or over-capacity? What gives?

Ml774
I've Been Around

Well put

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor
This has been an ongoing question for a while and unfortunately it makes trouble shooting complicated. Wht the gut I spoke to first didn't check signals (I) usually check first myself and always ask them do it first. After telling the guy that I spoke to that I had rebooted 4 times in three days and reset the same number and it kept rebooting on its own one would think he would have checked signals. Oh well. Hope others get theirs back soon. I have both internet and cable signals that were in need of fixing and has effected my neighbourhood. Not at the box in front of the house ; the green comes but further back. Lesson learned. Always ask them to check signals.

As for issue of how many times in demand has had issues in the last year. Good question.

Bruce

Cassia
I've Been Around

Our service with Rogers began the day before they announced the cancellation of Shomi.

We are now in our last two weeks and could not access it tonight - I think as part of the general problem with Rogers on Demand. We received the message that there was a problem loading the catalogue.

I tried rebooting the box twice before speaking with technical support. Their advice was to reboot again and then to wait 30 minutes before trying to access Shomi, to give the catalogue an opportunity to load. We did that and received the same error message. So we abandoned the TV for this evening.

Just now, 4 hours later, I tried again, with the same result. We still cannot access Shomi, and we receive the same message about the catalogue.

I have rebooted again and will check again in the morning. This is very frustrating and unsatisfactory.

remaxman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

And here we go again! Last time ROD went down we didnt have it for 3 weeks. I got mildly compensated. But i hope this doesnt go on and on like the last time. Perfect timimg to. Shomi is going bye bye and everyone has been binge watching trying to get series watched. Twitter is going nuts with complaints. Oh well....can always go talk to the wife. HELP!!!!

Steve

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@rexman  Yes, unfortunately, I think we have been through this far too many times in the last year.  We had very unpredictable ROD for about three weeks back around the second role out of Navigtr when the ROD servers had problems just as the new build rolled out - no way originally to know whether it was the ROD end, the boxes, or in some case, like mine this time, signal levels.  I have had signal levels 4 times in one year requiring them to come in and do work - changed the connectors and splitters just for good measure as they were clearly coroded one time, replaced a cable to our next door neighbour underground, they had a cable hanging from the tree to the house for quite a while.  She was not a happy camper when she knocked on our door to see if our tv was working properly.  

I and I stay, why?  I am not sure.  Other than the fact that we may be moving next year, so can't be bothered to change.

Ahh, life with modern technology connected with a mix of new and old infrastructure.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Cassia  It is unfortunate that the timing hasn't been good - on one level it was good - you missed the 16 months we spent getting a stable set top box, but it is not good that you lost Shomi just after you got here, and now this.

I would be asking for some compensation if I was in your shoes, in particular if this doesn't get fixed quickly.

You may actually still be in your grace period.  Hope things get better for you.  I do like most of my cable and what it offers, but reliability has not been great over the last year, as you can see if you search the other forum threads on TV.

Welcome to the forum and to Rogers TV - hope your future experiences improve.

Bruce

Jax2884
I've Been Here Awhile
How about some compensation like a credit on our bills when this stuff happens?! Guide, On Demand, & Shomi all terribly slow and my Shomi hasn't even worked in 6 months tells me I'm not subscribed even though it shows up on my bill but is refunded due to my bundle. On Demand being down for more than an hour or 2 should be enough for some sort of compensation... I pay for services so I expect those services to work. The cost of cable tv is absolutely ridiculous to begin with!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Jax2884

You can conctact Rogers by calling them about that. Sadly do not expect a bills worth of a discount for having ROD down for an hour or so. Do remember ROD is given to you for free with your cable package. While you pay for the movies, its coming included in the package you get no matter what price range it is.

Contact Rogers by calling them to ask them.

Jax2884
I've Been Here Awhile
Nothing is "free" in this world... I'm sure ROD is included in the package fees somewhere just not visible to the consumer.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Jax2884

No one knows but the Rogers On Demand is given to its customers within the cable packages they choose. So i do not believe you pay for that channel as you pay for the movies you rent. Again everyone has a different view on this

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I see from other threads that On Demand crashed yesterday.   It seems that the database is still not rebuilt as I keep getting a box with this: Catalog Error #835MC - call in for help, well I would imagine the phone lines are clogged.

I've tried unplugging the box - still not working right.   On Ch: 100 the boxes load OK but if you click one then that error pops up.

Peter
Toronto

molly222
I Plan to Stick Around

I called in yesterday and again today.  They did give me a $25 credit.  They have no clue when it will be working again. ROD is an advertised feature you get when you have Rogers.  They negotiate a price with the broadcasters to have their content on ROD and they pass that price along to the customer.  Another problem is if you try to access ROD too many times, the screen will freeze forcing you to reboot.  Have also noticed after trying to access ROD that the PVR becomes very sluggish, a reboot seems to fix the sluggishness.  Am getting really tired of the ongoing problems with Rogers cable and their lack of being able to fix problems in a timely manner, as well as their inability to provide an answer as to when problems while be fixed.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @molly222

I kdo remember for about A year and half I never had ROD working for me. I called in and they gave me a $15 discount a month because of it. A technician a year and half later figure out what happened and fixed it. ( Zapped the box and with me getting the 4K box started working again).

I remember doing all sort of tricks trying to make it work lol. Sadly it never worked. I just gave up and used Netflix and Shomi

molly222
I Plan to Stick Around

thank god for Netflix!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @molly222

Exactly!. I gave up trying to get technicians trying to fix it and I don't blame them either as they couldn't figure it out. I even told them that I don't want any technicians to come as i don't want to waste their time either.

My bedroom tv is a Android tv which i have access to movies in the theatre and what not. So i usually do that now as well as the gf is obsessed over that and Netflix. I still use ROD here and there when Netflix doesn't have the movie I want to see. ( Since Netflix Canada doesn't have the same library as Netflix US.)

My parents and my girlfriend parents homes both had their ROD working during that time. I do want to recommend that Rogers starts fixing these little issues and making ROD work since Shomi is coming down and Netflix doesn't release up to date movies ( Like Rogers on Demand does).

Just seems like Rogers On Demand has so many issues for years now going down randomly. Checking over on Rogers Facebook page doesn't seems to good either as many are reporting the same too.

Deb22
I've Been Around

That's what we're getting as well, Catalog Error #835MC.

I just contact Rogers via their chat and am getting the generic "we're working hard to resolve" but will escalate a repair ticket for our account. Fingers are crossed. Will be watching Leafs tonight. 🙂

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I think I hit a raw spot for many people about Rogers services with my post about Rogers being done.

1.  ROD has not been unpredictable on and off for many customers over the last year, some for months at a time.

2.  Since Shomi is a service we access, the timing of ROD going down on a wide scale is very inconvienent to say the least. I know you could go to the Internet and get it there, but then we are using bandwidth which for some is a precious commodity because they purchase low caps deliberately to keep costs down, knowing that Shomi was available on the box.  ROD is available on Internet, but the same position applies.

So a group of people who are already annoyed about the changes of a paid service that they were rebated on with the knowledge that they would pay at the end of the contract, become more annoyed as they cannot access it now.

3. The whole concept of value added services - all the major companies market to new and existing custmers that they are getting the "best" value by receiving services, whether we really need them or not.  For those who do receive them, they form a part of why they went with Rogers, so obviously they do not view this as a "free" service, it is a paid service with a rebate. And when they are receiving less than their contract provides to them, then they get legitimately annoyed and expect a fair replacement offer - Netflix doesn't cut it for some, unless they are going to put it on the box.  It is not a comparable service to Shomi as it requires bandwidth usage and Internet, and some are not interested in it in the first place - as mentioned, how about options - like financial reduction on current services by the same value as Shomi, or different channels that we don't currently get.

4. The frustration of ROD being down becomes harder to accept when many of us have dealt with all the problems of Navigtr for the last year and a half, and add in unreliable signals which some of us are experiencing.

So in summary, when Rogers runs into a situation where many things go at the same time, or there is a long history of frustration over reliability of services, or removal of value added services without comparable compensation, then the frustration goes.

It is reliability and value that keep customers, and fairness when things do go wrong - we shouldn't have to go cap in hand for compensation when things aren't working over an extended period of time.

So first, I hope that tomorrow I find that my signal issue is resolved (by the way, checked the signals on the box tonight based upon the recommended specifications, and they are right in the middle of specified levels, although we still have none of the apps available such as Phone display, and weather channel, and the fact that ROD is not available.

I am not expecting that the signal check by a tech is going to fix the ROD problem, but that will be step one down, then step two is getting ROD back, and finally, when does the notification and clarification of what exactly each person is getting as compensation if any - I have been told 6 months of the 2 device option with HD.

So as of tonight I have three issues going on at the same time.  So I am killing time by writing and reading.  We haven't had a good rant session on cable services in a while, which has been nice.

May this all get cleared up soon.  Will definitely be asking for some compensation at the end of all this.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Quick update - I checked my signal levels on my end, and they seemed quite fine.  Did a chat, and he told me they were rock solid in the best range.

He was stumped why I don't have weather channel or call display loading.  Suggested we do a reauthorizing process again - I said, no, will leave that to the tech if it continues, Have done it 4 times already to no avail and my box is in the middle of recording, and would lose part of recording, and can't get to on demand to watch there instead.  Last night, we picked up the lost 15 minutes of a show from On Demand on Anyplace TV on the laptop.

He apologized for the On Demand and reiteritated the message that sits right at the top of the chat box and you now hear when you phone in.

So we left it at that and will wait until tomorrow for the tech to see what they find.  Just don't suggest a reset please - way too many shows to catch up on right now.

Here's to clearing this up soon.

Won't go after compensation until I see result of tomorrow's work and prediction on returning ROD.  I can accept that things do go wrong and they are working with it, but I only put up with so much. I am polite and patient, but do expect restitution for failures in delivery of service beyond a reasonably expected amount that always occurs with cabling and switching and servers and all other related equipment.

Bruce