Rogers offered me 300gb/18mbps/2mps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dimundz88
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers offered me 300gb/18mbps/2mps

I have 1 month remaining on contract. I'm currently an Express subscriber at 18mbps/0.5mbps/80gb and have never gone over the 80gb, but come close every month. 

I run Speed Tests at 23-30mbps/0.5mps using Cisco DPC 2835. 

PACKAGE A: Rogers offered me 18mbps(Same) / 2mpbs(4xCurrent) / 300gb monthly for $3 cheaper than what I pay with new Enhanced Wifi Modem. 

PACKAGE B: They also offered me 28Mbps (10 more than what I have) / 1Mbps (.5 more) and 125GB (45 more) for $3 more than what I pay. 

What would you take? Im open to try either for 30 days no risk. 

I download, game online (PS3), stream youtube and have multiple tablets, pcs and cell phones connected, however typically only being used by 1 or 2 people at a time max. 

I find with my current speed I sometimes lag online PS3 gaming, hang on youtube at 40 seconds in and have poor download speeds on files from trusted sites. 

At first I'd want the faster download speeds at 28Mbps, but then again, I'm practically getting that already. 300GB a month is so overkill, but having it may be cool to take advantage of. The upload increase of up to 2Mbps is appealing for online gaming, only the 1Mbps.

Would I really see a difference in upload 1mbps to 2mbps? Is my current fine? Am I going to come close to 300gb, let alone go over 125gb? Prob not. 

I don't know what to do? Suggestions?

I kind of want to ask about Ultimate 125Mbps for a cheap price. Read a guy on here is paying $47 for it. 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers offered me 300gb/18mbps/2mps

Different people, can sometimes get different pomtional prices, at different times.. based on things like how long they have been a customer, etc.

Myself for example.. am getting 60% off all cable charges, for 2 years 🙂  But i pay the same internet price as everyone else.

These are quite likely, your 'promotional' pricing/offer.

The bigest thing that will lag any online gaming.. and potentialy elsewise.. can be your upload.  If ANYONE is uploading something.. say even pictures to facebook, etc..  it can kill a even really fast internet download connection.. and will greatly lag out gaming... i have almost killed my wife a few times for uploading while i was in a raid in WoW 😛

As for downloading.. unless you are doing alot of P2P, or mutiple people at one time downloading.. truthfuly the speed wont make a big difference.  Most places will never upload to you that fast.. so personal i think it would take less effect.

All in all, i think the package A would be the best bet for you overall 🙂

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Different people, can sometimes get different pomtional prices, at different times.. based on things like how long they have been a customer, etc.

Myself for example.. am getting 60% off all cable charges, for 2 years 🙂  But i pay the same internet price as everyone else.

These are quite likely, your 'promotional' pricing/offer.

The bigest thing that will lag any online gaming.. and potentialy elsewise.. can be your upload.  If ANYONE is uploading something.. say even pictures to facebook, etc..  it can kill a even really fast internet download connection.. and will greatly lag out gaming... i have almost killed my wife a few times for uploading while i was in a raid in WoW 😛

As for downloading.. unless you are doing alot of P2P, or mutiple people at one time downloading.. truthfuly the speed wont make a big difference.  Most places will never upload to you that fast.. so personal i think it would take less effect.

All in all, i think the package A would be the best bet for you overall 🙂

View solution in original post

Dimundz88
I Plan to Stick Around

I think you are right, because at the end of the day, it is CHEAPER than what I am currently paying.

It really comes down to the upload speed as you mentioned. 1Mbps vs 2Mbps

The monthly download limit I could care less about.

The extra 10 Mbps download speed I prob won't notice, since I'm already practically getting those speeds. 

Thanks for your insight. 

toommiiikahh
I've Been Here Awhile

i just renewed my contact too and paying $26 for the ultimate 150/10 and 250 gb 😞 

Dimundz88
I Plan to Stick Around

Lol, $26 for Ultimate? I doubt that. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It does look like though, as the infrastucture is upgraded in areas, being able to offer some more.. higher caps to more match competitors, and higher uploads where the infrastructre supports it.

oneupcanuck
I've Been Here Awhile

Must be a typo because Ultimate is a $120 something package.