Rogers new Nextbox 4K and lack of features

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prateeck7
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers new Nextbox 4K and lack of features

I just switched to Rogers 2 weeks ago after 7 years with Bell.

And I agree on everything you said.

Bell is head and shoulder above Rogers when its comes to TV features. It is much easier to use and navigate even for old people, kids, and toddler. It has more features and is yet faster.

My HD Terminal is so slow, I have to sweat myself out to use guide and record shows. Literally takes 3-6 seconds for my HD Terminal to respond to my remote.

And whats up with the PVR. Sometimes it records shows, sometimes doesn't. Somitmes recorded show is vanished. Sometimes reappears.

The whole recording thing is too complicated.

With Bell you could record shows at any time of the day. Just double tap it and tadaaa. PVR takes care of it. No hassle. You could change the setting manually too.

With Rogers, I have to input manually and, yet,  it doesn't work about half of the time for me.

Overall, Rogers TV feature is very poor compared to Bell.

I have Rogers because of this deal I got recently on bargain. It has certainly better range of channels than Bell at the price I am paying and better internet speed than Bell was offering me.

But coming to Rogers and playing with the remote was an instant let down for me. Now, I am not expecting much from Rogers like live channels as you scroll through the guide in Bell.

What I was expecting is that it be receptive. That alone would be a huge improvement for me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@prateeck7 wrote:

My HD Terminal is so slow, I have to sweat myself out to use guide and record shows. Literally takes 3-6 seconds for my HD Terminal to respond to my remote.

And whats up with the PVR. Sometimes it records shows, sometimes doesn't. Somitmes recorded show is vanished. Sometimes reappears.

The whole recording thing is too complicated.

With Bell you could record shows at any time of the day. Just double tap it and tadaaa. PVR takes care of it. No hassle. You could change the setting manually too.

With Rogers, I have to input manually and, yet,  it doesn't work about half of the time for me.

Which PVR do you have? If it's the 8642, it is underpowered and should be exchanged for the 9865. The 9865 is plenty fast on its own. If you're using it as part of a WHPVR setup, the response can be slow from another box, but should be plenty fast if used directly.

For Recording, it's only one button press with Rogers.  Find the programme you want to record in the IPG (Interactive Programme Guide) and press the record button. Nothing could be easier.  If you wish to pad the recording you can either change your recording preferences under "Settings", or hit select instead of the record button and you're presented with the options regarding the recording.

Each provider has advantages and disadvantages.  Also, it's a good idea to become familiar with the workings of the equipment/firmware.  My recordings always record, so I'm not sure why yours are not recording.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A couple of clarifications to my previous post.  I just realized that you were talking about series recordings with your "double tap".  A double tap of the record button on the Rogers PVR presents you with options for series recordings and then requires you to select the appropriate options for that series. 

It's rare that someone wants every airing of a series recorded "without appropriate modifications" (like daily, or timeslot or weekly, or time extensions, etc).  There are typically too many repeats, airings, extension requirements, etc, but I see where you're coming from and the Rogers PVR does work differently for series, but for a reason.  Since series recordings only need to be set up once, it's usually best to have appropriate options set rather than rely on a single preference which may not contain the desired options for that particular recording.

Single recordings are a single tap of the record button if you like, however, even there I usually use the select button instead so that I can "modify" the single recording by extending it, check various other options, etc.

Regarding missed programming, perhaps you've been using the "new" modifier.  Because of inaccuracies in the guide (for all providers) the "new" modifier can often result in the PVR recording repeats, or missing real "new" programming. I suggest you don't use this modifier unless it has worked for you in the past based on experiece with Rogers guide.

prateeck7
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you.

I am going to the store today to replace HD Terminal box. May be it's the faulty box then. Hopefully, it works faster after the replacemenet.

Also, replacing the modem with newest Modem Rogers rolled out yesterday. So that's great.

Yeah about the recording, I researched online. Many people have been having the same issue. Called the tech yesterday. He taught me some settings like record 'all episodes' instead of 'new' and record '15 minutes earlier' because Rogers cannot recognize the show if it doesn't start/ end on time (something along that line). It still did not fix the issue. So he ordered me to replace PVR as well.

If it matters, I record shows for my mom and I record daily multicultural shows. My mom couldn't do it herself as it was too complex for her unlike Bell. Slowly she was getting into it but the recording is messed up. May be Rogers doesn't recognize multicultural shows properly. For example, when I try to manage my PVR online via MyRogers account, some shows in multicultural channels and theme packs is missing and blank in Guide.

Don't get me wrong. I love my channel lineup. Quality seems to be better too. Wow and that call display on TV.

I probably still wouldn't switch my TV to Bell even if Bell gave me the same package. But it's all messed up when it comes to PVR. I am know every features Rogers have. I have aquainted myself to it. However, it's still slower and too complicated especially for someone who is not used to remotes, techs and TVs like my mom.

As i said before, I am not expecting the features Bell provides from Rogers TV. I am hopeful, though, that the whole PVR is a bit more reposnsive, faster, consistence and reliable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@prateeck7 wrote:

Thank you.

1. I am going to the store today to replace HD Terminal box. May be it's the faulty box then. Hopefully, it works faster after the replacemenet.

2. If it matters, I record shows for my mom and I record daily multicultural shows. My mom couldn't do it herself as it was too complex for her unlike Bell. Slowly she was getting into it but the recording is messed up. May be Rogers doesn't recognize multicultural shows properly. For example, when I try to manage my PVR online via MyRogers account, some shows in multicultural channels and theme packs is missing and blank in Guide.

1. Make sure you get the 9865 (NextBox 3.0)

2. Utilizing AnyPlace to check/schedule recordings for your mother is a good idea.  Sometimes AnyPlace guide is not properly populated. This is often due to the fact that Rogers doesn't get the information properly from its guide provider, or from the channel in question.   Sometimes the information will be present 1-2 days out while it can be "missing" say 5-6 days out.  The Guide usually "catches up" when the time draws closer.  For most programming 5 minutes of padding should be adequate, although I sometimes add as much as 3 hours to the end time when recording live sporting events.  Good Luck.

Here are a couple of posts on AnyPlace that may be useful:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

prateeck7
I Plan to Stick Around

My upstairs PVR is Nextbox 3.0 9865. I am fairly happy with the upstairs when it comes to it's resposiveness. Still not as fast as I had with Bell but it's not bad.

Downstairs I have 8600 HD Terminal. It is slow as a turtle. I don't know if this is the best Rogers offers when it comes to extra TV reciever for $5/month. Or is it something wrong with my box?

Anybody have any experience/ issue like this with HD terminal?

Anyway, I am going to replace it tonight.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@prateeck7:

The slowness of the 8642, 8600, 4642 etc. boxes has been reported often on this forum, especially when combined into WHPVR.  You can search this forum for previous threads on the topic by using terms like "slow 8600", etc.

I doubt that exchanging the 8600 will help.  The latest Navigatr firmware exacerbated the slowness of these underpowered boxes.

prateeck7
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, there is no apparent solution to 8600 which is the only HD box available. Even Rogers tech has admitted to me many times. All they say is that they will report the issue and nothing more.

I just hope they will come up with something soon. But it's been so long already they have overlloked it. So I don't expect anything at this point.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys.

Many have made comments on IPTV and options. Look at this below for the IPTV and options are wanted.

" Rather than continue the research and development of its own proprietary IPTV platform in the vein of Bell’s Fibe TV, Rogers has opted to go with a U.S.-based Comcast platform for its next-generation of video services.

As a result of this shift, Rogers states it is discontinuing any further investment in its own IPTV product and is preparing to record a non-cash asset impairment charge that ranges between $475 million CAD and $525 million in its upcoming fourth quarter results

The Canadian telecommunications giant expects the new service, which is set to utilize Comcast technology, won’t launch until 2018."

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/12/16/rogers-abandons-iptv-research-in-favour-of-comcasts-platform-faces...
prateeck7
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix

. . I hope this doens't mean price increase to offset the impairment loss.