Rogers let me down once more!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idstumped
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers let me down once more!

Rogers makes it very hard to feel like a valued customer. I cannot understand their business model. Their customer service is horrible and the customer is always guilty. If for some reason they credit a charge it will not be because there was a mistake on their end but it wil be a gratitude they are offering and the client should be grateful for any compensation.

The latest let down: I just got off the phone asking if I could aquire the unlocking code for my iphone4. I have not used the iphone for 2 years, I bought a samsung note2 better suited for my work.  I have been with rogers for a little more than three years and my contract has finished a couple months ago. My plan averages $100 per month. I paid $199 for the iphone when I started my plan. I have paid Rogers close to $4000 dollars to date and they still want $50 for the unlocking code! The phone is only worth $50 now! Isn't the phone mine by now to do as I please! I can get the code off the internet for $30 from a 3rd party but after reading in many forums to simply "ask your carrier for the number" I thought I would give it a try. Not a chance...not suprised...it's Rogers.

Completely out to lunch! I am a client without a contract and Rogers could not care less if I jump ship to another carrier. Why not do something that will make your customer feel good about staying with you instead of treating them as if their business is not important. And don't tell me it IS important, show me. I was just beginning  to forget about the last time Rogers disappointed me but this has convinced me it is time to look into another carrier.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers let me down once more!

Unfotunately, pretty much ALL the carriers, charge 30-50 for the unlocking of the phones... not much different anywhere else 😞

Best, if you are looking to unlock a phone, is to buy it outright, unlocked to begin with.
That way, no unlocking fees... as well, then to ties to carrier.. could switch every month if you so chose.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello idstumped

As Gdkitty said... Unfortunately all carriers offer a price to unlock their phones. This is also noted on their websites / CRTC site and also on many flyers and other advertising they do.

I would like to expand a bit more on what Gdkitty said as many may get confused by it. When you buy a unlocked iPhone from Rogers or any other phone from the carriers, it will be LOCKED to the carrier u buy it with even tho it's full price u pay. U must pay the price they ask to unlock it right after u buy it full price. NOW if u go to the Apple store and buy the device outright, the phone comes factory unlocked automatically.
FanDroidBoi
I Plan to Stick Around

If you live in the Toronto area, there are two places in the Pacific Mall that unlock for 10

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rboeglers

Incorrect.. Pacific Mall won't unlock a iPhone for that little. IPhone unlocking at Pacific Mall is more then that or anywhere else to be exact... I have done it many times and know. Plus you void your warranty automatically once u unlock it via the way just a friendly reminder. Other phones yes u could unlock for that much depends on the model of course. 

idstumped
I've Been Here Awhile

Just because everyone is doing it does not mean it is a good business descision. I can understand if I was asking for the code a few months after I started my plan, but after 3 years I would think they could give you the code seeing as they have made some monies elsewhere.

As stated before, my three year contract has ended and can switch to any carrier I please without penalty. Why would they not satisfy me by giving me the code and perhaps keeping me for awhile longer. They would rather loose me as a customer than give me a $50 code that must cost them very little. That''s says alot to me about how much they value my business!

BSJxKingslayer
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm sure Rogers does value your business, which is why Rogers will let you bring that phone back on the Rogers network at a reduced plan price, heck, anyone can use that phone on the Rogers network at a reduced price. That's pretty good value right there! However, if you decide to take it to another carrier, then there isn't much of your business to value is there? As you're taking your phone to another carrier, so to unlock this phone that Rogers provided yes, it's 50$.

@idstumped wrote:

Just because everyone is doing it does not mean it is a good business descision. I can understand if I was asking for the code a few months after I started my plan, but after 3 years I would think they could give you the code seeing as they have made some monies elsewhere.

As stated before, my three year contract has ended and can switch to any carrier I please without penalty. Why would they not satisfy me by giving me the code and perhaps keeping me for awhile longer. They would rather loose me as a customer than give me a $50 code that must cost them very little. That''s says alot to me about how much they value my business!

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I kind of see his point. Rogers is willing to lose his business and monthly payments over a $50 fee. If they can give discounts to so many to keep them as customers I tend to think waiving or rebating a one time $50.00 fee to keep him as a Rogers customer would be good customer PR.

That's just my thinking though.
idstumped
I've Been Here Awhile

Tell me more about this reduced plan price. How would that work? Tell me where the value comes from. If I stick my Rogers sim card in that phone right now how is that going to lower my bill next month?? Please tell because I will do it.

I haven't been using that phone for 2 years. I bought another phone to use with my Rogers plan two years ago. I would like to sell it but can not because it is locked. It will cost more to unlock it than what it is worth. Tell me how Rogers provided me with this phone? It cost me 199$ at the beginning of my contract and I have paid them 100$ month for over three years now. I think they have made their money on that phone and I have paid them enough for me to own the phone and do what I want with it. Like I previously stated, if I was asking for the unlock after 3 months of service I would understand the charge seeing as they might have not made their money back yet for the initial cost of the phone but after my contract runs out..why not. 

Also, a little business sense would go a long way here. I am WITHOUT contract. A mere $50 gesture might entice me to stay on with them but a feeling of being dispensable surely won't get them my business.  Loss me as a customer for  something it costs them very little to give. That is how much they value my business.

idstumped
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Jays77 that is the point I am trying to make.