I like the "idea" behind this new screen, but personally I find that the fonts are WAY too small!! I don't have a small t.v., and yet I have to put my glasses on now to read the program info. It looks like the space is there to make the font larger, so I wish they would increase it. They should pay attention to that kind of thing. I guess there's nothing I can do about it except make an appointment with the optometrist for a stronger prescription. UGH!!
I agree! I can't read the darned thing anymore! It looks like the space is there for the font to be bigger, so why not? Now I have to put glasses on to read the info. The rest of it is just "ok". I'm not a huge fan of the thumnails on the "My Recordings" screen. If you tape only t.v. shows, they don't have thumnails and it no longer sorts them by date. So frustrating.
Well, got the update last night, and I must say the recorded list is absolutely horrid. I dunno why they would fix something that wasn't broken, however, thy did and it seriously sucks. The stupid thing won't show the whole name of the show, the stupid icons are blank and useless, it blends the recorded list with what's set to record.
WORST UPDATE EVER.
Please give me my old ui back!
After realizing the Navigatr update WIPED MY 1TB DRIVE
I can confirm you're not alone! I came home from work today to find the shiny new guide and an empty recording list. I don't have a TB drive but I had about 15-20 hours of recordings on it, including a couple of things I won't be able to find online. What a nightmare! Why would they force us to upgrade to this guide without extensively testing it to make sure it didn't wipe out people's recordings?
Once again, Rogers gives us something we never asked for, and screwed it up in the process.
Edit: Just FYI, I'm on a NB2, not NB3. From what I've read so far, seems like only NB2 PVRs got wiped. Can't be too many customers with those, right? /sarcasm
So last night we got the updated guide... so far so good... HOWEVER one thing we noticed right away is that movies are not in a differnent colour - this was something that we liked... although not really important but a bit of a preference...
It a little more plain/basic looking as well.. but i'm sure some people might like that...
I like that it still shows you what is NEW (but miss the red type) and that bar that goes down the page to show you how far your into a show.. not sure how i feel about that seeing as the time is there.. But again this is something others might like...
I like the easy to use parental guide...
So this is just my feelings on the new guide and my 1st thoughts after it appeared on my screen....
Now it's time to see more of the benefits...
I have two many complaints about the new guide - ranging from possible problems during the download (my series recordings deleted; can't see the future recordings), through the obvious software bugs (the channel set up to be the starting channel when the box is powered up is decremented by 1 - if I set it up to channel 24 my box is waking up on channel 23; if I set it up to channel 25 I get what I want - channel 24 on startup) to - from my viewpoint the worst: exceptionally poor design and no thought given to usability.
So I will discuss my favorite "lack of design" issues here:
1) The font used for the program description is painfully small - and it is not possible to configure the font size in any way.
2) There is no visual clue which "recordings" entries are actually folders and which are single recordings (this on top of the fact that some multiple recordings are both shown in the folder and scattered all over the place as individual entries - which is obviously a bug
3) The Watch and Delete buttons are right beside one another on recordings - and the font is NOT helping - so it is extremely easy to accidentaly delete what you wanted to watch
4) To make 3) more fun - when you delete the episode that is not refreshed in the current screen so you won't know that you deleted accidentally while trying desperately to click watch again!!!!
5) Rogers on Demand Search shows several episodes of the program you searched for - no info whatsoever if the previous seasons are available, let alone the way to get them
6) The lists of recordings consist of big empoty gray boxes with titles and potentially small-font number of entries - the boxes are useless and take up enough screen real estate that you have to scroll and scroll to see what else is available
I can go on but I will finish by trying to set up a customer petition:
PULL OUT THIS POORLY PLANNED AND EXECUTED "IMPROVEMENT" AND GIVE US BACK PERFECTLY WORKABLE AND USABLE GUIDE THAT WAS REPLACED BY IT.
IF YOU MUST FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN, NEXT TIME TEST IT BEFORE DOWNLOADING IT TO PAYING CUSTOMERS!!!!!
I can barely read the font now and you are saying the new font is small? This should be fun when the roll out hits my box.
The quote below was from the "Navigator update - Shome and on-demand not working" thread, but my "fun" reply, I think, is better suited to this thread.
As for the spelling, "Navigatr", it's likely deliberate so it can be trademarked. Unfortunately it reminds me of a Toronto PR firm, Navigator Ltd, that does damage control for shady politicians.
No, no.. it's "Navigatr" because:
If it were spelled "Navigator" it would have to be able to navigate.