Rogers is happy with customers getting <7% advertised speed?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers is happy with customers getting <7% advertised speed?

My network suddenly got very slow this week.  Usually I get around 2-3mbps speeds.

I called technical support when I was constantly getting <1mbps, and the technition on the phone told me that as long as a customer is getting between 0.5 and 1.5mbps, Rogers is content with that speed and feels the network is working fine.

I understand that the advertised speeds are "up to", and I never expected to get anywhere near 7.2mbps, but 0.5mbps is 6.9% of that speed (this is a 3g+ connection).  That looks like a very low standard of service to have.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers is happy with customers getting <7% advertised speed?

I too have once again noticed a drop in down speeds over the past week.   When calls to Tech are made by customers they should be looking at possible problems with their service not quoting crap about what Rogers is content with.  

I'm an Advisor

@Goodbrew:

in answer to your question "Rogers is happy with customers getting <7% advertised speed?" I would have to conclude that the answer is a resounding "Yes!".

While I don't think that Rogers Board of Directors is neccesarily high fiving it around the boardroom at this time, it can only be concluded that they are more concerned about profits than delivering reasonable and satisfactory service to their customers.

There is also a total lack of evidence that the CRTC and our pro-free market government is doing much of anything to protect the consumers' interests.

So the technical support tech is basically just telling you what the reality of his and our existence is.  I guess it may be hard to resist the urge, but maybe we should not shoot the messenger.  The poor support tech is stuck with it just as we are.  And besides, his/her pay cheque depends on how well they handle us sometimes irate and irritable customers.  So, all we can do is vote with our feet and go elsewhere when our contracts are up.

In the meantime, we shouldn't condemn the poor support tech for their sometimes realistic but poor attitudes.  It is Rogers, not the tech, which is at fault.

skinorth

The results of my speed test moments ago using  measurementlab.net  were 0.23 Mb/s UP and 0.37 Mb/s DOWN.  

Acccording to my test results MLab indicates Rogers is limiting the speeds to 1.22 Mbps.  So is Rogers throttling or not?

The theoretical network limit is 9.84 Mbps
The NDT server has a 85.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 1.22 Mbps
Your PC/Workstation has a 64.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 0.46 Mbps
The network based flow control limits the throughput to 0.47 Mbps

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@skinorth

I've actually never had a tech I didn't like on the phone.  The countless times I've called in for my rocket hub, the support staff on the other side has been open, helpful, friendly, and understanding.  It is always clear to me that the problems lie with higher ups I'll never gain access too.

I'm an Advisor

@Goodbrew:

thanks for your comments.  I have had good as well as excellent techs on the phone, and then I have had some not so good ones.  But, as in any such interaction, it could have been me as well that was the problem.

It is indeed, as you say, the higher-ups who set the policy, tone and philosophy of any organization and its"culture".  I have had my career in high tech, service and customer support, and have seen my share of that.  But if the only measure of customer satisfaction is the corporate bottom line, perhaps a company is really and truly in a "race for the bottom".

skinorth

An Update with Good Results.   After making a call to customer service and getting a call back a day later I have found my Down speeds at 2:00 pm right up to now 6:40 pm have been testing out at 4 Mbps and up.   I got a call back from customer service advising me the tower I use had been upgraded to expand services and it certainly shows.  In the history of owning this hub (Ericsson) I have never had speeds at this range at this time of the day.   Early morning yes but once the sun came up it would become dismal.  Kind of nice being able to watch YouTube.